• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hey Everyone,

I'm sure there are a thousand threads about this by now, but what is the "Golden Compass"? I've heard that it is something by an atheist, anti-Catholic, etc... someting about it being done in a less obviosu version in a movie so that parentst will take their children and completely miss the underlying meanings?

Simply, I've had abotu two or three people at my school come to the group of pp I was with and before even mentioning past the title have looked at me and said, "I already know, you woudl'nt agree with it" and then go on, but I still have no idea what it is, or what it is about. My pastor doesn't know either, so I'm sufficing to the boards instead of looking it up :emot-heartbeat: Has anyone else heard about it?

In Christ,

Crystal

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

I don't know anything about this movie either, but apparently the schools in our area are not allowing the book to be read as a part of the curriculum. Perhaps I should google it.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Okay I was just at the official movie website.

Basically, it's a movie about witches, some sort of "daemons", and a golden compass that reads "truth" instead of true north.

This is deffinitely not a movie I would take my kids to see. But if you want to find out more visit their website. I would post it but usually the mods don't like that. Google "The Golden Compass".

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Here is an article you might find interesting:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58987

It is a compliment to you that you are wearing your faith like armor so people will know that you wouldn't agree with this movie/book.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

Yesterday someone sent me a message on my mobile telling me that it's about 2 kid's who manage to kill G-D in order to do whatever they like. The message also advised that we send letters of protest to the movie distributors and boycott the cinemas - as if I would pay good money to see something so infantile :cool:

Still if that is indeed the plot it makes you wonder what the purpose (or should I say agenda) is! The Da Vinci code was far more insidiously dangerous in my view.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

I'm laughing at all the "free thinkers" who love this movie and that Zietgeist movie and other garbage like it who think exactly what the authors tell them to think. :laugh:

Reviews of the book's trilogy on Amazon dot com provide a pretty good synopsis of the books and claim the author is a good writer. Quite a few people there don't see it as anti-Christian so much as protesting churches and people who misuse religion to control and oppress. More of an anti-cult mentality.

Seems like Jesus came to do the same thing, and He will again. :24:

Still, the author and the main targeted audience are most likely looking for any excuse to be intolerant of any kind of faith, rather than just not wanting corrupt religions around.

Honestly, it's not worth even reading the synopsis of the storyline. It's just more of the same fluff that has always been around.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

Its only a book and film that is a work of fiction and fantasy, it may be having a pop at religion and maybe Christianity, but so what. There are countless books and films that all do the same. I am more concerned about the filth that is pumped into homes all over through the TV.

Yes we should perhaps just go about quietly warning each other as to the authors bias and atheist message in the film, but getting paranoid and telling everyone we come across about how evil it is , is simply having the opposite effect.

Hardly anyone in the USA is genuinely saved, in UK its 100 times worse, film industry do not care about loosing a few sales to a few Christians when they know the protesting will double the attendances as people who have a passing interest in films will be drawn in to see what the fuss is all about and something that those crazy Christians are protesting about must be good to watch!

Protesting about a film simply increases the sales and gives the film more advertising and public awareness than the makers could achieve by spending millions and millions on advertising. Just look how many places all over Internet people are going on about this film, its all free advertising.

Just let the world get on with being the world, we can not stop the decline in morality and breakdown of society as it is all prophesied and will get worse as the days to Christs return lessen. It is inevitable and can not be stopped. AS long as we do as GOd wants us and live our lives as Christ would have then that is fine, iF the world wants to reject Christ and God and just go about frolicking with Satan then let them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

Its only a book and film that is a work of fiction and fantasy, it may be having a pop at religion and maybe Christianity, but so what. There are countless books and films that all do the same. I am more concerned about the filth that is pumped into homes all over through the TV.

Yes we should perhaps just go about quietly warning each other as to the authors bias and atheist message in the film, but getting paranoid and telling everyone we come across about how evil it is , is simply having the opposite effect.

Hardly anyone in the USA is genuinely saved, in UK its 100 times worse, film industry do not care about loosing a few sales to a few Christians when they know the protesting will double the attendances as people who have a passing interest in films will be drawn in to see what the fuss is all about and something that those crazy Christians are protesting about must be good to watch!

Protesting about a film simply increases the sales and gives the film more advertising and public awareness than the makers could achieve by spending millions and millions on advertising. Just look how many places all over Internet people are going on about this film, its all free advertising.

Just let the world get on with being the world, we can not stop the decline in morality and breakdown of society as it is all prophesied and will get worse as the days to Christs return lessen. It is inevitable and can not be stopped. AS long as we do as GOd wants us and live our lives as Christ would have then that is fine, iF the world wants to reject Christ and God and just go about frolicking with Satan then let them.

Nice going AndrewA :whistling:

I received the following in my email. I am not taking a position on this in as much as I have not read the books or seen the movie, other that to say that I have reservations about putting money into the hands of anti-Christian propagandists. Decide for yourselves. Since this email was intended for broad distribution, I see no problem replicating it here:

Please find below a special message from our sponsor, MovieGuide.org. They have some important information to share with you.

Thank you,

Image Blocked

William Greene

President, RightMarch.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Blocked

PARENTAL ALERT:

This weekend your local theater will

be showing a movie aimed at children

that will undermine the values

you are instilling in them.

THE GOLDEN COMPASS points children toward dishonesty, selfishness, rebellion, atheism, and the desire to kill their mothers!

THE GOLDEN COMPASS movie is based on a trilogy of children