tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

10 Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

What things?

4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

There is much talk about kindness and love, but what about the rest of the qualities, that keep us from being ineffective and cause us to be blind?

What about knowledge? Self-control? Godliness? Have we forgotten.........that we have been cleansed of our past sins? OR are we still practicing them?

There is a big IF in verse 10. It has a bearing on entrance into the kingdom.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

I have learned something recently: every command of God comes with a condition---He will do this if we do that.

We have to soberly, earnestly remember that if we want to get into His Heaven. Yes, it's a free gift, but remember it comes with an action---we have to ACCEPT that free gift. We also have to remember what whatever He asks, we need to do. He gave one command that I don't see a lot of Christians doing---GO YE into all the world. Now, keep in mind, this is not for EVERYONE to go overseas to a "mission field"---your mission field could be your next door neighbor, or the lady down the street that just lost her husband, or the homeless person living in a cardboard box around the corner.

God showed me one time that witnessing (or soulwinning, as I prefer to call it), is a lot like that Herbal Essence commercial of about 20 years ago----you tell two friends, they tell two friends, and so on and so on....you just have to start the ball rolling by talking about it. Like a friend of mine said recently, "You just have to open your mouth!"

If Jesus tells me to go talk to a homeless person about Him, I have to do it. If I don't, He'll use someone else and I will miss out on the blessing because of my stubbornness and refusal.

To use a popular idiom---Jesus don't play that game. He wants us to be blessed but He also wants us to do HIS will. And if we do HIS will, we WILL be blessed. That means, doing whatever HE asks us to do, whatever the cost, however we feel swept aside. Time to die to flesh and live for Him.

Anita

I have learned something recently: every command of God comes with a condition---He will do this if we do that.

He gave one command that I don't see a lot of Christians doing---GO YE into all the world. Now, keep in mind, this is not for EVERYONE to go overseas to a "mission field"---your mission field could be your next door neighbor, or the lady down the street that just lost her husband, or the homeless person living in a cardboard box around the corner.

Something that I recently learned with regard to the Great Commission, was this part also:

Matthew 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

If we all sincerely examine our hearts, we would have to admit that we do not do them to the extent that Jesus would have us do them. Lukewarm. We need to allow the Spirit to ignite a fire in us that will not be quenched.

OneLight

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

If we all sincerely examine our hearts, we would have to admit that we do not do them to the extent that Jesus would have us do them. Lukewarm. We need to allow the Spirit to ignite a fire in us that will not be quenched.

OneLight

I am constantly examining my heart....that's why I have all the problems I do with the flesh. It's my weak spot, I'm afraid, that I need to turn over to the Lord and let Him work. I can't do it, except to give it to Him, but then I feel like an "indian giver" if I take it back from Him. I need to learn to trust Him, for if I can't trust Him, who CAN I trust???

Anita

OneLight

I am constantly examining my heart....that's why I have all the problems I do with the flesh. It's my weak spot, I'm afraid, that I need to turn over to the Lord and let Him work. I can't do it, except to give it to Him, but then I feel like an "indian giver" if I take it back from Him. I need to learn to trust Him, for if I can't trust Him, who CAN I trust???

Anita

Anita, whenever I think about how God is forming me, I try and picture a potter working clay, slowly forming a work that will be used for His purpose when finished. I also think about the vine being trimmed whenever the change hurts. I know that both will bring me closer to what God wants in my life. Yet, we also have to accept that God does these changes in His time, not ours. If it was up to us, we all would be perfect once we heard the Truth. Change takes time. Keep the Faith Sister.

Alan

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Shalom,

Suzanne, I'm sorry but you are mistaken when you say:

We are saved by grace through faith in the Messiah, not by our works.

Ephesians 2

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Shalom,

Ephesians 2

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I agree. The word "IF" tells us that we will not fall and that we will receive a rich welcome, not that it is a ticket into heaven.

edited cause I forgot to include the second part of IF ...

What does the phrase, "make your calling and election sure" mean?

What does the term "fall" mean? If you have fallen from grace, do you enter the kingdom of heaven?

In His Love,

Suzanne

Shalom,

Ephesians 2

What exactly IS the grace of God? What does it accomplish? Is it accomplished, if we have NO faith to walk in the power He gives us?

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

15 These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.

(I know we'll end up in circles again. That's ok. I just want us to examine WHAT grace does!)

Everyone throws around the word, without examining the details of what it/grace and faith are/do. It is not just a word,.......it looks like something.

In His Love,

Suzanne