IGNORED

What Version of the Bible should we trust?

cherishedfaith

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1961

I am trully concerned lately as to what version of the Bible I should depend on to be as clear and concise to the "True" Word of God. I use to read KJV (Authorized) and within the past few years, I started reading my new Bible (NLT). Little did i know until last night, it is really a revised version of "The Living Bible". Which was one of the versions that I had main concerns with.

Anyways, I trully have enjoyed being able to read from the Amplified Bible I have because it brings out a much more clear and understanding of the scriptures. However, once again, I want to read the version that God is pleased with and not man.

In Revelation, it speaks about adding to the Word of God and taking away from the Word of God and the plagues and curses that will fall upon anyone who does this. So my question is this......with all these different translations....isn't that exactly what "man" has done? And if so, should we not be concerned with what our Lord has to say about it.

I am seriously considering going back to my KJV Bible, but I am concerned that I won't have the clear understanding that I have had with other translated Bibles.

So, I am very interested in hearing from other's here and what God's spirit is revealing to you on this matter. I am not wishing this to become a debate, but we all know, that with most concerned topics, it can lead to that. My prayer is that we discuss this and not debate.

Keep the Faith,

cherished faith

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, a word of warning here. These "which bible is best" threads can get rather lively, to say the least. :)

Second:

The best answer to your question I can give you is this: ask the Lord to help you find something you can get the most out of. Then, read it.

Personally, I read KJV, NLT, Amplified, and a few others off the printed page and online. I tend to read from one translation for awhile, then if the reading starts to seem a little "stale" I'll read another just to shake things up and keep my time with the Lord about Him and not me. I'm reading the NLT right now because the Amplified started to get annoying to me for some reason. (It started to seem too "wordy" is as close as I can get.)

If you want to try some different translations, try: http://www.biblegateway.com/

They have MANY different English versions.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4

I am trully concerned lately as to what version of the Bible I should depend on to be as clear and concise to the "True" Word of God. I use to read KJV (Authorized) and within the past few years, I started reading my new Bible (NLT). Little did i know until last night, it is really a revised version of "The Living Bible". Which was one of the versions that I had main concerns with.

Anyways, I trully have enjoyed being able to read from the Amplified Bible I have because it brings out a much more clear and understanding of the scriptures. However, once again, I want to read the version that God is pleased with and not man.

In Revelation, it speaks about adding to the Word of God and taking away from the Word of God and the plagues and curses that will fall upon anyone who does this. So my question is this......with all these different translations....isn't that exactly what "man" has done? And if so, should we not be concerned with what our Lord has to say about it.

I am seriously considering going back to my KJV Bible, but I am concerned that I won't have the clear understanding that I have had with other translated Bibles.

So, I am very interested in hearing from other's here and what God's spirit is revealing to you on this matter. I am not wishing this to become a debate, but we all know, that with most concerned topics, it can lead to that. My prayer is that we discuss this and not debate.

Keep the Faith,

cherished faith

There are of course very many 'versions' or translations of the Bible. I have several different ones.KJV, NAS, Williams, Beck, D/R, GN, and so on.........My personal favourite, for it's poetry, is the KJV, but for daily reading and study I tend to use the New International.

You can rest assured that whatever translation you choose (and it is often a good idea to read the same passages in more than one translation) the translations are Gods Words given to us through Jesus and men (and some women) who have been inspired to translate them for us. Some of my friends have studied ancient languages to see if they can find something 'new' for themselves from old transcripts, but I believe that although they are sincere, they are wasting their time. Everything we need to know is in any of the Bible translations. It is how we use that information that matters.

• Content Count:  28
  • Birthday:  02/10/1950

Thanks for starting the thread.

Jacahan

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Birthday:  05/12/1974

Where to start....

Personally I try to look at several translations, mostly the NIV, Amplified, KJV, NKJV, NASB, NLT and others. I also use a Vine's and Strong's concordance to help with some of the older words that are no longer in use. For everyday reading I use the KJV, just because that is what I am comfortable with and I like the flow of the text.

With that being said, people tend to get too hung up on defending or criticizing one particular version of the bible. All that we have today are translations and we must rely on God. It is His word. Their are "versions" out there that are paraphrased and politically correct that I would not recommend, but to each his own. The bible says this in James 1:5 (KJV):

If any man lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given.

All you have to do is ask, and if you are in God's word, regardless of translation, He will give you the wisdom to understand. The key is to read the word unfailingly, everyday. There are verses to support this as well, in Joshua I think, somewhere in the first few chapters, but they slip my mind right now.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Wow, out of every post will be a different answer..

I read KJV for many years then found I really liked the amplified but always held it up to the KJV..

Then I found the ESV and it seems to go so very well with the KJV that I am pretty content to not have to look it up in the KJV.. although I still do because of my curiosity ..

and I like the MKJV too... :thumbsup:

I do not go to the other ones because the translations get too off the original intent ...

I love the "poetry" of the KJV too..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

No matter which version of the Bible you choose to study, the most important fact is the teacher, the Holy Spirit. He will teach you all truth.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

I read as much of the NT as I can in Greek. For English translations, it has been my personal experience that the NASB (New American Standard Bible) is the truest translation from Greek into today's English language.

However, I find many of the scriptures unfamiliar to me in NASB, so I also read NKJV becuase it is more like the KJV, but with the glaring errors corrected and the language updated somewhat to be more appropriate for today's use.

As the Scripture states, there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors. Using several translations can often give you the best insight ...

shalom -- shlomo

The problem is your NT Greek is a translation from a different source. The original greek does not exist. The Latin Vulgate is the only direct translation from the original manuscripts. It is the closest we have to the originals. Amazingly when compared to the the few scraps of original text that have been found, the latin vulgate counterpart has matched exactly. The Douay-Rheims Bible is the best english translation of the Latin Vulgate. I have also found that when I compare it to the King James I usually find very little difference.

God Bless,

K.D.

• Content Count:  7
  • Birthday:  12/28/1961

I wish to thank all those that has gave me their input and all of your responses spoke to my spirit and can be summed up by saying this......i need to listen to the Holy Spirit speak to me and He "will".....regardless of which version I am reading. :rolleyes: I guess my panic button was slapped down on by satan momentarily and i began to question a bit too much and worry a bit too much regarding if i was trully getting the "correct" interpretation of God's Word. However, with help from His Spirit and guiding hand, i now realize that no matter what version i choose, His Spirit will guide me and instruct me.

God Bless you and keep the faith :20:

In love,

robin