IGNORED

Is restoration to ministry possible for adulterous pastor?

Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/05/1952

It happens alot. The pastor has an adulterous affair. While we know it is forgiveable. Have they permanently disqualified themselves as a pastor of that particular church or any future position in another church?

Pastor? They should never be allowed to fill that position again in any church...and I back that up with Paul's instructions to Timothy as I understand them.

BUT can he serve in some other form of ministry? Absolutely...and he must. In a sense, we are ALL called to serve in one way or another. Ministry as defined "to give service, care, or aid; attend, as to wants or necessities" of others. They can teach; work with the homeless or those who are incarcerated; pray with sick patients in hospitals; even evangelize; and so on.

Pastors, people responsible for the spiritual care of a number of persons, are to be above reproach and of good character. It is a special calling that commands respect and trust. They are leaders and the ONLY way to lead properly is by example. Although I do not believe they are to be "revered" nor are they to be followed without question, they are to be held in the highest esteem by those God places in their charge. It is a position with a big responsibility and too many of them today do not respect the office like they should.

...but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.

Just my thoughts...

wayne

Amen! Great post. :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I think your confusing the issue WSB.

The fact of the matter isn't over whether or not were all guilty of sin.

The problem is the position of authority and the Trustt that was placed in such a mans hands. He, by virtue of the fact that he is in authority, has misplaced his trust and the bond not only to his wife but to the Ministry.

He apparently is susceptable to this particular sin, as we all are susceptable to one particular sin or another. He should not have this Trust placed in his hands again. Not only because of the temptation but also the great potential for future abuse of authority and Trust.

Is he forgiven if he asks and Truly repents? Yes. However there will be consequences to that particular action and sin that he knowingly entered into while in full Trust.

I agree with Wayne.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

It happens alot. The pastor has an adulterous affair. While we know it is forgiveable. Have they permanently disqualified themselves as a pastor of that particular church or any future position in another church?

why would they? King David wasn't disqualified as King. He even murdered because of it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

The question is not whether or not he is redeemable, of course he is!

His sin crimson can be white as snow, As far as the east is from the west it is no more..if he is truly repentive.

The question is are the people who surround him that gracious and merciful. I give it a 50/50 chance.

Now the congregation is also not spiritually in tune. Someone should have known by the Spirit This tormented man needed deliverance. But then again, Who would this man trust with such a tresspass without fear of it later destroying him.

A very prominant well known teacher/preacher was in the company of others as well as a prophet. This man had a promblem sexually and in particuler area. The prophet saw this and took the man aside, ministered to Him, The man was set free.

He was ashamed and cried out to Jesus almost daily.

The enemy was saving this up for the last straw in this guys ministry but praise the Lord the enemys plan was thwarted.

A pastor goes into ministry purely and then when all is in place the spirit that he never knew was a promblem becomes one. This way satan gets a lot more than two people in the plan.

It is also my true belief that Jesus will keep convicting and trying until the heart becomes hardened against that sin..then He will go public as the Last resort....

Guest Signs 1

What about the church bookkeeper caught embelzeling Is this sin greater than the one that was caught commiting adultry. Should he/she be able to ask forgiveness and repent and be put back in the same position?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

This is not about whether or not the church is gracious and merciful, it's about the word of God. Scripture has been give that states in 1 Timothy 3:1-7

This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

The office of Bishop, from Strong's Concordance tells us:

• 1) an overseer

a) a man charged with the duty of seeing that things to be done by others are done rightly, any curator, guardian or superintendent

b) the superintendent, elder, or overseer of a Christian church

God's word is very clear on this matter. In most churches today, the Preacher hold the office equivalent of a Bishop.

OneLight

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

What about the church bookkeeper caught embelzeling Is this sin greater than the one that was caught commiting adultry. Should he/she be able to ask forgiveness and repent and be put back in the same position?

Welcome Signs 1.

You should start from the beginning of this thread to keep this in perspective of the OP's question. Yet, to answer your question, a bookkeeper is not held to the same qualifications as a Preacher is.

OneLight

Guest Biblicist
This is not about whether or not the church is gracious and merciful, it's about the word of God. Scripture has been give that states in 1 Timothy 3:1-7

This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

The office of Bishop, from Strong's Concordance tells us:

• 1) an overseer

a) a man charged with the duty of seeing that things to be done by others are done rightly, any curator, guardian or superintendent

b) the superintendent, elder, or overseer of a Christian church

God's word is very clear on this matter. In most churches today, the Preacher hold the office equivalent of a Bishop.

OneLight

:emot-hug:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

what is the actual question????

is the Question about God's ability to forgive some ones transgression?

did God forgive David of his adultres afair????

is God unable to forgive anyone of any transgression?

what about Gomer?????

if a man repents (or woman) of their transgression, I would say restore them. if not, no, do not restore them....

mike

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I think we must deal with scripture. The scripture posted above gives the qualifications for this position and indeed you cannot be having an affair or sinning in that sort of way and be a pastor, deacon, elder, bishop etc.

However I don't think that scripture would permanently disqualify one for that role. However, it would take in my opinion at least a decade to recover and to show that you can indeed lead the life and faith of a Pastor prior to becoming a pastor again. This behavior would mean in my opinion that you are a novice in the faith and would be like starting over again. The Lord promises us restoration in all things; He can work miracles in anyone's life, we would all be doomed if that were not true. Also his actions would reveal is he is repentant or not.

But unfortunately what I see in these cases usually is an unrepentant heart. The guy fools around, and then has a big emotional bawling event begging for forgiveness and restoration, then wants to get up and preach next month. Another scenario is that he just picks up with his new honey and leaves and gets another congregation. This is what Hagee did when he was in this situation which is why even though I like some of what he says I just cannot ever accept him as a true Pastor or Minister of the Word.

But I think they should take about ten years off from the ministry and relearn their role, and surely we could NEVER accept them marrying the women they committed adultery with, this would for me be a final disqualifier as it shows that indeed there is zero repentance for this sin. It is like stealing getting caught, repenting but then demanding to keep the stolen money. I am not saying that they would have to go back to their wife as she may not take him, but they would have to try and if she would have him he must then return and if not he must remain as Paul recomended.