OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Thanks for all the information. I has stayed with the NKJV for years, but was intrigued by how some really like The Message around here. I have always been worried about any paraphrased version, feeling the loss of meaning in scripture. Has anyone found this to be the case, or is this version pretty accurate in meaning, but uses todays language?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

I am afraid that like so many other things in regard to Christianity today, we try to stray from foundational teachings, that might be a little bitter to taste (sometimes) and the enemy knows this, and will use whatever tool he can find to get us to move away from absolutes. Just because it's claimed to be Scripture, doesn't necessarily mean it's good for us. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and stick to more traditional avenues, for fear that I might be led astray with something that leans more toward "easiness". Just give me the Truth, hard parts and all!

You know that Satan was able to use Scripture to try to persuade and tempt. (He didn't win, but nevertheless, it was Scripture He attempted to use, to deceive. I think we should always be mindful of that tactic.)

In His Love,

Suzanne

:noidea:

Thanks for all the information. I has stayed with the NKJV for years, but was intrigued by how some really like The Message around here. I have always been worried about any paraphrased version, feeling the loss of meaning in scripture. Has anyone found this to be the case, or is this version pretty accurate in meaning, but uses todays language?

I recommend that you go listen to the audio message by Warren Smith that I posted here in General Discussion. It is long, but it's very informative.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I recommend that you go listen to the audio message by Warren Smith that I posted here in General Discussion. It is long, but it's very informative.

I went there last night, but didn't have an hour to listen. I think the time said 57 minutes? I tried to download it so I could listen when I had time, but couldn't. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do this over the weekend.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

I went there last night, but didn't have an hour to listen. I think the time said 57 minutes? I tried to download it so I could listen when I had time, but couldn't. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do this over the weekend.

That's completely up to you really. It is long, but even with my difficulty in sitting still :noidea: as I stated before, I found it very interesting and informative.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

:52_52: Edited by hopper

Guest Biblicist
I have heard good words about The Message. My Pastor used it in his sermon. What are your feelings about the Bible?

OneLight

You really believe people won't debate about this? :noidea:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Please keep in mind that The Message is not an official translation but a prarphrase and should be treated as such.

Exactly.

I find the Message is a good resource for the lost in Christ who are seeking and may have problems with reading comprehension. It is like giving milk to a baby. It is not advisable for a believer to use it for deep study though. They need more meat in their spiritual diet.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

But even English translations intented as highly accurate and formally literal run some risk of similar error, and specifically rip the reader away from nuance of the original languages and the context and culture in which the Scriptures were originally given, in order to reach out to our culture with our language. It's important to note that Peterson brought a pretty good understanding of Greek to his project, and, though rare, there are places he does a better job of rendering the Greek than many more literally intended conveyances in English Bibles. . . .

Good point

Guest Biblicist

I guess I would ask....

Is a Children's Bible not a Bible? It's got pictures and Bible "stories", which are not stories at all, but truth told in a plain simple manner for children to understand. So is it a Bible or not?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

I guess I would ask....

Is a Children's Bible not a Bible? It's got pictures and Bible "stories", which are not stories at all, but truth told in a plain simple manner for children to understand. So is it a Bible or not?

well if it isn't, it should be....in fact I might just start reading one due to the simplicity of them and I really like to look at the pictures. :)