• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

Axxman said:

OH MY!!!! How did you ever make it to the smoke? Once the guy took his jacket off you should have known trouble was coming!

I once saw a Christian show where the woman was allowed to talk at the dinner table and I switched off right then!

:emot-highfive::24:

you are kidding? Right??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Yes, hip-hop is a registered religion and its origins are steeped in anti-christ religion. If you are skeptical, do the research... there is no need to completely shun a comment before you have looked into it.

we are agreed that Music, as I believe I previously stated, is not evil in and of itself, but I believe the original question was about Christian hip hop and rock.

Why, if someone is coming out of sin and coming to God, would we want to remind them of the old life through the music we play?

It is fair to say that I don't know the hearts of these artists, but if the artist looks and acts like the world, I'm not paying much attention to the words of the song. People don't follow words so much as they follow actions.

I do agree that much of the gospel and comtemporary music we have today comes from the sound of the juke joint, but it wasnt right then and its not right now. We, as human beings, have a tendency to comprise, and flucuate w/ every breeze of the wind, but God never changes.

It's important to look at the origins of the cultures that the music is birthed from.

And being adverse to my opinion is no reason for being snide. God Bless.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Music and music styles, like musical instruments, are but tools.

The real instrument is the person. If the heart of the person writing/singing/performing the song has an evil intent, that evil will come forth. If the heart of the person writing/singing/performing the song has a good intent, the goodness will come forth.

Unfortunately, yes, the Christian music industry is corrupted with self-exaltation and other forms of worldliness. But again, this is another topic from the OP.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

[1]Yes, hip-hop is a registered religion and its origins are steeped in anti-christ religion. If you are skeptical, do the research... there is no need to completely shun a comment before you have looked into it.

we are agreed that Music, as I believe I previously stated, is not evil in and of itself, but I believe the original question was about Christian hip hop and rock.

[2]Why, if someone is coming out of sin and coming to God, would we want to remind them of the old life through the music we play?

[3]It is fair to say that I don't know the hearts of these artists, but if the artist looks and acts like the world, I'm not paying much attention to the words of the song. People don't follow words so much as they follow actions.

[4]I do agree that much of the gospel and comtemporary music we have today comes from the sound of the juke joint, but it wasnt right then and its not right now. We, as human beings, have a tendency to comprise, and flucuate w/ every breeze of the wind, but God never changes.

It's important to look at the origins of the cultures that the music is birthed from.

[5]And being adverse to my opinion is no reason for being snide. God Bless.

1.It's a registered religion? So, if I were to look on a census, I could choose "Hip-Hop" as a religious affiliation? While I loath hip-hop as a whole (I think it is music only in the loosest sense of the word) and I loathe what mainstream hip-hop stands for, it is not a religion. And yes, I looked into it, found nothing. Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide documentation.

2. You are making an assumption here. Has it ever occurred to you that Christian Rock and Hip-Hop is just a matter of taste? Tastes don't change at the moment of conversion, and to try to force oneself to like certain types of music is just silly, when there is music that perfectly praises God in whatever your chosen genre. In the same way as different people have different tastes in food, people have different tastes in music. Is it fair to make someone who hates pork eat pork, when they could just as easily have beef instead? Likewise, my tastes lean towards Rock music, and I therefore choose to occasionally listen to Rock music (of all forms: Punk, Metal, Hard Rock, etc.) that glorifies God. More often than not I choose to listen to "secular" music.

Speaking of tastes, I suspect that (as is often the case) you are opposed to these forms of music because you don't like them, and don't see how they could possibly be pleasing to God.

3. You're again making an assumption. Because they are rock musicians, they must automatically not have their hearts in the right place. Yes, Christian musicians sometimes give in to the pressures of fame. The Christian music industry is just that, an industry, and as such it's not perfect. There are temptations, just like you and I face everyday temptations. But the fact is, these bands are out there preaching the Gospel, reaching thousands with their message, and strengthening the faith of their fans, and here you sit in your home criticizing them, telling them their heart is not in the right place. They are living their faith ion a very real and concrete way.

4. Actually, even many of our good old-fashioned hymns were folk songs that were given Christian lyrics. All Christian music (except maybe chants) is appropriated and Christianized from "secular sources". Think of it as reclaiming that which belongs to God.

5. Snide? My responses may be rather biting, but that's how I happen to react to people making claims I feel are ridiculous. I feel no ill will towards you brother (sister?), but understand that i've heard all of these arguments before, and I find them just as lacking today as I did then.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I can speak to the nature of hip-hop...and I can speak to the nature of Christian hip-hop.

First, it is an over-statement to describe hip-hop as a religion...BUT hip-hop at its roots can be a very dangerous and deceptive ideology like most religions. However, the music is NOT the ideology...the music carries the ideology in its lyrics and attitude. Christian hip-hop works in the same way except that the ideology of the Christians performing it is vastly different. In Christian hip-hop the music carries the ideology of salvation, peace, and love through Jesus Christ to those who take the time to listen.

Years ago (I'm gonna start feeling old now...lol)...I started in Christian hip-hop about a year before dcTalk made their first album. I was brought up by guys like SFC (Soldiers for Christ), PID, and several other groups that were influential in the genre. The collective vision for ALL of us was to undermine the deception and bondage that the hip-hop ideology was placing on inner-city kids. It wasn't easy, and BY FAR our toughest competition was the mainstream church who opposed our efforts to bring the message of the cross to kids. Every song I performed, every lyric I spoke, every move I made was done to show the freedom and love I experience in Christ. Some of the best church I ever had was being on stage with those guys.

DcTalk's first album, was huge for Christian hip-hop in that it broke down alot of barriers. The mainstream church had a hard time finding ways to criticize the openly Christian lyrics from a group formed at Jerry Falwwell's house. Back then I had the opportunity to become part of their street team, I was priveledged to pray with those guys, talk with them, and see their vision. The coattails that they provided for me and many other Christian hip-hop artists were HUGE! I have had the opportunity to share the stage with some of the biggest Christian artists in the world today (back then they were just starting out) like Newboys, Michael W Smith, Petra, Audio Adrenaline, etc. I can tell you unequivically, that from Christian Rock, to hip-hop, punk (One Bad Pig), or contemporary...the desire and focus of everyone of them was to lead people to Christ. I could go for hours talking about the amazing testimonies, excitement, backstage stories...and sometimes outright fear. The point I'm attempting to make is that it is wholly unfair to judge most of these artists by the sound of their music because quite frankly if you don't understand hip-hop, or punk, or rock...you'll never understand the impact these artists have had on people with their music.

*note* Its important to point out...I never made it big in the music industry, although I got real close a couple of times. I was fortunate to be a musician in a church with a pretty big music promoter who liked my vision. He allowed me to have opportunities in music that most could only dream of. I was able to meet and work with some very talented artists because of his belief in me. I just didn't want it to sound like I was some CCM big shot with all the name dropping. I wasn't. I was just a young musician who was in a good situation who made friends with some really cool people.

Music and music styles, like musical instruments, are but tools.

:laugh:

God Has His Missionaries Out In The World Proclaiming The Gospel In Many Languages Including The Musical (?) Language Of Holy Hip-Hop

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15

Who Could Hate So Much As To Shut Hop-Hop Talkers Away From Hearing God's Good News In Their Heart Language

"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine." 2 Timothy 4:2

And Who Would Dare To Call The Work Of The Holy Ghost The Devil's Work

"But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:" Mark 3:29

As The Gospel Goes Forth In Truth And In Spirit With Hip Hop Beat

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

Rhyming For The KING

Glory! Glory! Glory!

Hallelujah!

Amen!

:laugh:

Pray

"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Jude 1:20-21

To The LORD Of The Harvest

"Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves." Luke 10:2-3

Cry Mercy For The Hip Hop Nation

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" Matthew 28:19

And Rejoice For His Mercies Are New Every Morning

"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

Great Is His Faithfulness

:)

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

God Has His Missionaries Out In The World Proclaiming The Gospel In Many Languages Including The Musical (?) Language Of Holy Hip-Hop

That's a neat perspective, Joe!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

If you dont believe that music can cause demonic activity, explain the ever increasing violence played out at Hip Hop and Hard Rock clubs.

Who is our allegiance to, Jesus Christ or our favorite christian Rocker/Rapper?

We listen to Christian rock/rap because our allegiance is to the Lord.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

It is fair to say that I don't know the hearts of these artists, but if the artist looks and acts like the world, I'm not paying much attention to the words of the song. People don't follow words so much as they follow actions.

Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks upon the heart.

I do agree that much of the gospel and comtemporary music we have today comes from the sound of the juke joint, but it wasnt right then and its not right now. We, as human beings, have a tendency to comprise, and flucuate w/ every breeze of the wind, but God never changes.

What's a juke joing?

Do you realize the tunes of many of the 'old' hymns, once had the melodies of songs played in bars?

• Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

DcTalk's first album, was huge for Christian hip-hop in that it broke down alot of barriers. The mainstream church had a hard time finding ways to criticize the openly Christian lyrics from a group formed at Jerry Falwwell's house. Back then I had the opportunity to become part of their street team, I was priveledged to pray with those guys, talk with them, and see their vision.

I love DC talk. My favourite song is Red Letters

Pages filled with a holy message

Sealed with a kiss from heaven

On a scroll long ago

Phrases, words that were bound together

Now have the power to sever

Like a sword evermore

Heed the words divinely spoken

May your restless heart be broken

Let the supernatural take hold

(chorus)

There is love in the red letters

There is truth in the red letters

There is hope for the hopeless

Peace and forgiveness

There is life in the red letters

In the red letters

One man came to reveal a mystery

Changing the course of history

Made the claim he was God

Ageless, born of a virgin Mary

Spoke with a voice that carried through the years

It's persevered

Heed the words divinely spoken

May your restless heart be broken

Let the supernatural take hold

(repeat chorus)

(bridge)

What You say moves me, revelation, come and take me

The more I look [the more I look] the more I see [the more I see]

The Word of God [the Word Of God] is what I need

Oh yeah, oh yeah

Yeah, it's the book of love

Yeah, yeah, yeah

It's the book of love

(repeat chorus)

Speak to me, breathe in me new life [x2]

Let Him in your heart [x4]

How a Christian feels justified to condemn these men is beyond me? I would be very worried if I were you.

Why don't you try to listen to this song online and see if you might want to rethink this.