~~ angelique ~~

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Disembodied spirits" are a deception from the devil.

Who were the spirits in prison that Jesus freed upon his descent into Hades (1 Peter 3)?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/13/1934

What exactly are demons and where do they come from?

Are demons different than fallen angels?

Well, I grew up learning that demons were the angels who followed Satan in his rebellion against God.

It wasn't until I interacted on the message board that I heard different beliefs about this. :laugh:

What's the difference between a ghost and a spirit like those who came up out of the tombs when Jesus died?

As far as I know, they are two different terms for the same thing.

But then again, a "spirit" can be an angel, a demon, or the Holy Spirit.

But the Holy Spirit is also called the Holy Ghost.

But ghosts are more likely than not demons maifesting themselves as dead people as a means of tormenting the living.

Then, of course, you have a spirit (that is, you have a body, a soul and a spirit). But I've never heard anyone say you consist of a body, soul and ghost.

But then again, the KJV says when Jesus died He gave up His "ghost."

Confused enough now? :laugh:

The confusion between the term "spirit" and "ghost" is due to the improper translation of the Greek word "Pneuma". This Greek word, the basis for our English word Pneumatic, etc. is properly translated as "spirit", for it basically refers to the element of "air", the root meaning of "pneuma". Therefore, pneumatic tools are tools driven by air, even the wind is refered to as "pneuma" (cf John 3:8). So the proper translation of "pneuma" is "spirit" and every time in the KJV that you see the word "ghost", the Greek word is "pneuma" and the word should be translated "spirit" not "ghost".

There is no Scriptural basis that I'm aware of to substantiate the belief in or the existence of ghosts. IMHO ghosts, and their manifestations, are simply deceptions put out by Satan to confound and confuse humans, both the lost and the saved.

Hope this helps lessen the confusion somewhat. :whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:thumbsup: Well spoken!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Necromancers like John Edwards do not realize it, but they are being controlled by fallen angels. They think they are talking to dead people, but they are really talking to the devil himself.

I believe this as well. (Shudder!) Thinking about the sheer horror of anyone speaking directly to satan gives me the willies! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

When I used to drinks spirits I used.to see all kinds of demons......that's when I changed from spirits to beer.... :thumbsup: ....only kidding.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/24/1968

When I used to drinks spirits I used.to see all kinds of demons......that's when I changed from spirits to beer.... :thumbsup: ....only kidding.

eric... that's hilarious! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Necromancers like John Edwards do not realize it, but they are being controlled by fallen angels. They think they are talking to dead people, but they are really talking to the devil himself.

I believe this as well. (Shudder!) Thinking about the sheer horror of anyone speaking directly to satan gives me the willies! :33:

How are John Edwards and Allison Dubois taking with the devil???? What about the Witch who conjoured up Samuel? Samuel was not a demon. If God will allow Samuel to come to someone why woundn't he allow others through people like John Edwards or Allison DuBois? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Were there some posts deleted from this thread? I had surgery and havn't been on in a few days and some seem to be missing. Could the mod who deleted the posts please pm me and explain to me why they were deleted??? I'm confused. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Disembodied spirits" are a deception from the devil.

Who were the spirits in prison that Jesus freed upon his descent into Hades (1 Peter 3)?

The spirits in prison are people who are still prisoner to their sins.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; - 1 Peter 3:18-19

The purpose of the work of Jesus was to die for our sins that he might bring us to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but was quickened by the Holy Spirit. By way of the Holy Spirit he went and preached to the spirits that were in prison. Before we become Christians we are basically prisoners of our own sins and are made free through the salvation wrought through Jesus.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. - Romans 8:2

Edited by deut31:12

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

The spirits in prison are people who are still prisoner to their sins.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; - 1 Peter 3:18-19

The purpose of the work of Jesus was to die for our sins that he might bring us to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but was quickened by the Holy Spirit. By way of the Holy Spirit he went and preached to the spirits that were in prison. Before we become Christians we are basically prisoners of our own sins and are made free through the salvation wrought through Jesus.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. - Romans 8:2

Perhaps I am not completely comprehending what you saying, however:

1 Peter 3:20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

My understanding is that the 'spirits' in prison were those in hades who had disobeyed aforetime.

Could there be a correlation here with the significance of the Passover lamb being 'roasted' whole?