• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

A prophet of old or new testament is a appointed office that has no limitations and usually is appointed pror to birth. They were used for very many purposes. They are often not liked by the majority. Are under tremendous scrutiny. They mostly are sent to a individual or a group of people to warn, pronounce destruction, to correct, They are the mind of God.

laymen prophesy-- is opposite. The words are restricted to building up, edifying and so on. The Spirit of God brings forth the word to mind. They do not walk in a open vision. It is more for the body.

Many do not want to recognize Prophets and it is true that there are not many appointed around. Some are, but stay quiet Let me correct that. They are around but remain quiet due to the body of Christ opinions. they get torn apart.

But if people do not believe in prophets as a appointed office of ministry they might as well eliminate the whole fivefold ministry. You cannot believe in one without the other.

One who prophesies does not need to be a prophet and those around them should be careful of saying otherwise. I believe a man as well as a woman can have this office. Believe a prophet receive the reward.

A prophet can be measured and Judged by another prophet.

Prophesy judge by the body as well as the word.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

A prophet of old or new testament is a appointed office that has no limitations and usually is appointed pror to birth. They were used for very many purposes. They are often not liked by the majority. Are under tremendous scrutiny. They mostly are sent to a individual or a group of people to warn, pronounce destruction, to correct, They are the mind of God.

laymen prophesy-- is opposite. The words are restricted to building up, edifying and so on. The Spirit of God brings forth the word to mind. They do not walk in a open vision. It is more for the body.

Many do not want to recognize Prophets and it is true that there are not many pointed around. Some are but stay quiet I will say as well. Let me correct that.

But if people do not believe in prophets as a appointed office of ministry they might as well eliminate the whole fivefold ministry. You cannot believe in one without the other.

One who prophesies does no need to be a prophet and those around them should be careful of saying otherwise. I believe a man as well as a woman can have this office.

Your first paragraph sound like only the office in the OT. Today, I don't really see them being treated the same. I do see them as vessels used by God to bring His word to His the world and His people. Do you really think that those who have the Gift of Prophesy today are treated the same of the Prophets of old?

Never heard of laymen prophesy ... what is that?

You mentioned the five fold ministry. Do you believe that Apostles are still for today?

In His Love,

Alan

okay Now I know where you are going.

The old testament prophets were to be stoned to death if they are wrong. The chance to be wrong once could cause the death of Gods people and they could not have that possibility.

I have been around when The word from a prophet was off. It is stopped in the church immediately and they are not to give word for a while. Each church has their own doctrine. But a prophet of God needs to be taught as well. Like Elisha from Elijha.

A lay man who gives prophecy is a congregant not in that office of a prophet. They get a word from God for different reasons.

And again I have seen false prophecy go forth and the person had to be quiet.

It is only by my observation that a truthful prophet stays quiet in humbleness. There seems to be a knowing to be obedient.

Someone giving a prophecy usually is more out of order and needs to have someone lay hands on them to shut them up. this has been my experience...but take it to the Lord Jesus.

I have also been around a large body where prophecies have gone forth which were good, edifying and uplifting, encouraging and within that same body a few miutes a prophet speaks. Very different and more authoratative and you know that you know you got instruction straight from Gods mind.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Your first paragraph sound like only the office in the OT. Today, I don't really see them being treated the same. I do see them as vessels used by God to bring His word to His the world and His people. Do you really think that those who have the Gift of Prophesy today are treated the same of the Prophets of old?

By the people, yes.

oh yes I do. I did a in depth study of a apostle and found it all eye opening. They are the Count on me's of the people. We need the fivefold ministry to function properly in the body I believe. But people use the word apostle loosely these days. They do more than bring a message. And are just as important.

They are treated as if they are the same but they are two different calls, two diffrent purposes

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Thanks for the replies on Prophets.

Since the mention of the 5 fold ministry, what do you see an Apostle doing today? There are a lot who would say that Apostles have to be "hand picked" by Jesus.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks for the replies on Prophets.

Since the mention of the 5 fold ministry, what do you see an Apostle doing today? There are a lot who would say that Apostles have to be "hand picked" by Jesus.

We need to be careful to differentiate between the Apostles who had the right to record inerrant scripture, and those with the spiritual gift apostleship. One is valid today (the gift) one is not (the ones appointed by Jesus). The gift of apostleship is the ability to start new works of God (frequently in a new culture)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The biggest difference would be the Holy Spirit wouldn't it? In the O.T., the Holy Spirit hadn't been poured out and worked through a single person (the prophet). Since Pentecost, though, the Holy Spirit could prompt any believer with the Gift of Prophecy. Am I on the right track?

there was infilling. Ex 31:3 is one example. How did david get the anointed music ? was it the instrument or was it the person who was filled and anointed.

Hannah was praying and everyone thought she was drunk. That coincides with the uppr room. ( I think it was hannah) If all scripture is given through the Holy Spirit does that not include the old testament. There was a difference though..

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

there was infilling. Ex 31:3 is one example. How did david get the anointed music ? was it the instrument or was it the person who was filled and anointed.

Hannah was praying and everyone thought she was drunk. That coincides with the uppr room. ( I think it was hannah) If all scripture is given through the Holy Spirit does that not include the old testament. There was a difference though..

We also see a frequency of theophanies in the OT, then more infrequent occurences of such among believers in NT