IGNORED

The Emerging Church Movement

Guest Biblicist

I would like to know too. I read the other thread about the difficult sermon and felt it was rather vague. :whistling:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

There are some articles here that are worth reading concerning this.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The emergent church movement is a wide movement. It is difficult to make sweeping generalizations about it (just like the evangelical movement).

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from the Outer Court to General Discussion

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

The emergent church movement is a wide movement. It is difficult to make sweeping generalizations about it (just like the evangelical movement).

I agree. Something that I do like about the Emergent Church is that it appeals to those who would normally not feel comfortable in a traditional church, such as Punks and other sub-cultures.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

I agree. Something that I do like about the Emergent Church is that it appeals to those who would normally not feel comfortable in a traditional church, such as Punks and other sub-cultures.

I'm a bit confused as to why this quality would be one that you do not like...isn't it a good thing that they're getting some sort of exposure, rather than nothing at all?...

Something that I do like about the Emergent Church is that it appeals to those who would normally not feel comfortable in a traditional church, such as Punks and other sub-cultures.

Is that good or bad?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I've moved away from the "tradtional" church setting in the last 12 months because of the damage my family and I have encountered over the last 5 years and the damage we have seen done to many others. I've been a christian for 22 years and mainsteam tradition isn't at all what I am seeing these days with the new up and coming leadership. I'm talking across the board, not anyone denomination.

As I came out of the traditional church I read alot about the emerging church and what I read was not about embracing all beliefs but taking Christianity back to it's roots and most of the emerging church are part of the home church movement, but again this is not about taking beliefs from anywhere but the Bible.

This church could be like an off shot but still calling themselves an emerging church. Like we have 3 kinds of Baptist Churches here we have a very leaglistic and certainly not mainstream down the road, we have your old mainstream and then there is also the Baptist churches that have become more Pentecostal than the Baptist of old. Even in mainsteam denominations there are variants of belief.

QUOTE (WillingToDie @ Mar 4 2008, 05:13 PM)

Something that I do like about the Emergent Church is that it appeals to those who would normally not feel comfortable in a traditional church, such as Punks and other sub-cultures.

Absolutley !!!

Why do we have denominations ???........ Because they appeal to certain beliefs and lifestyle. What is so different about a church who embraces the uniqueness of a particular way of life as long as it does not go against the Bible ??? God created those people to be who they are.

I've sat in a mainstream church as I bet many have and the preacher says, "We want to love the tattooed bikies, we want to love the prostitutes and support them and help them turn their lives around etc " But when I've heard that I've looked around the church and thought, nup not tattooed bikies here, I wonder why ??? Because the mainstream, somewhat conservative church has no idea about the lifestyle. It can be said they will be accepted and not judged but really it is not the case because they are told so quick to change their lifestyle.

We need churches that cater to different needs, personalities etc.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

For the past several weeks, I have been going to a church I was attracted to just because they had a ministry for my age group. Turns out that church is part of the Emerging Church Movement, a New Age movemenet that appeals to the masses, especially the unchurched or post-churched. I guess I know why I didn't like the sermons, now.

It's sad to say that can be the case with any denomination. It's good that you were discerning enough to read the signs though and can act accordingly.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Church is not a place to go to make people comfortable and have their ears tickled by telling people what they want to hear. Church is to preach Christ and Him crucified. Church is a place where the preacher's responsibility it to preach the truth of the gospel, such as the difference between sin and salvation. If you are a seasoned sinner the sermon should make you squirm, not feel good about just attending.

Sorry to spoil the fun, but in my own opinion, people should leave a church meeting feeling humbled, not exalted. People should leave a church meeting wanting to get closer to the God wants to forgive you for your guilt and your burden of being heavy laden down by sin. Church is there to tell you there is no other way you can have eternal rest with the Lord without repenting of your earthly life style and turning to the only way to get the father is through Jesus Christ, who gave His life so you could live. Anything short of that is not good enough.

People don't have to go to church to find out how to be a good husband, wife brother sister or a good son or daughter, When you have a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ, all that will come naturally.

From what I know the post modern emergent churches are leading people astray by half truths and deception, by offering alternative ways of gaining eternal life.............wrong.