• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Casting of lots is spoken of frequently in the OT, and spoken of less frequently but is spoken of in the NT. Is this a viable way of making a decision today, being the disciples used it to choose Matthais?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

No, its not a viable way of deciding anything now. Yes, that is how the disciples chose Matthias, but that was prior to the advent of the Holy Spirit within believers now. Since we have Him in us, we no longer need to cast lots in order to know His will. He can tell us directly through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Casting of lots is spoken of frequently in the OT, and spoken of less frequently but is spoken of in the NT. Is this a viable way of making a decision today, being the disciples used it to choose Matthais?

For myself, I do not see a need to do so. In fact I see it more like shooting 'craps'. I wouldn't make a decision based upon that either.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I'll say "amen" to Jade's comment, and naturally add one of my own. Seems to me that after Matthais is chosen, we never hear from him again. Perhaps the disciples erred themselves in choosing Judas' replacement this way. Just a thought.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

casting of lots.....is that the same as secret ballot?????

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Paul was the 12th apostle

Well said JudgeofGod. Rev 21:14.

Guest LadyC

a spiritual decision? prayer generally works in personal matters. however, the casting of lots in the context you described is no different than a church voting in a council member. in that context, it is not only viable, but i think that the scriptures support it as the appropriate manner in which to do things. ALL scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness. to question whether it is a viable method of reaching a concensus is to imply that God's word is not profitable in all things.

Paul is once again another good example. Even after his salvation, Ananias questioned the Lord when he told him to go pray for him, "Lord, you realize this is the guy who's been killing us, don't you? You want me to go pray for him?!"

:(

Good Point!

Wonder How Many Have Asked The Same Thing About Me :o:24::24:

:)

No Doubt God Still Hears

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." (Matthew 21:21-22)

And God Does Answer

"And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." (1 Kings 19:12)

But Will I Obey

"O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.

To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:" (Psalms 95:6-8)

Hay!

Why's Everybody Picking On Lot

"And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar. Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other." (Genesis 13:10-11)

Oh Yeah Huh! Wrong Choice

"And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

(For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)

The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:" (2 Peter 2:6-9)

Praise God!

HE Knows How To Deliver

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Hallelujah!

Be Blessed Beloved Of The LORD

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe