Mamato3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

No offense taken, but perhaps some misconceptions that should be addressed.

I don't see "conservative" and "open-minded" as opposites at all.

What I see is that people are individuals, and blanket generalities do not apply, neither does trying to "box" Christians into categories by convictions, denominations, gender, age or anything else.

We are individual and multi-faceted. G-d made us intricate and observers who think of us as one-dimensional end up being surprised by some of our responses. That just means the observer needs to look deeper than the surface.

And thank G-d He made us all individuals with the ability to think, pray and hear from Him.

Well spoken Vickilynn.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Well, peer pressure isn't a good reason. But, realistically there is always a motivation behind what we do, or else we wouldn't do it. So, I'm still asking, what was the motivation behind it? You don't just do it without thinking or having a feeling about it.

You do when your then-boyfriend says a tattoo will make you hot. Or, hotter :D. What can I say, the two times I acquiesced to a man's wishes :whistling: . When I first got saved, and when I first came to Worthy, I posed the always-reliable tattoo question because I was feeling guilty about them. My guilt-ridden conscience was assuaged by some of the more mature posters at that time. And since then my now-husband pokes fun about being the only presbyterian minister in the state to have a hot wife with tattoos. What goes around...

Romans 8:1...tattoo that in a prominent place.

Yes, but you made the point I was trying to convey. Motivation behind it. Yours (at the time) just happened to be peer pressure. That's what I was getting at, you had some sort of motivation behind why you got one. It wasn't without thought, you were told it would make you "more attractive", in a sense it was a form of vanity. There is always thought/motivation behind an action. Especially one like that, (that involves some pain and also will be for a lifetime.) You had to have a motivation for doing it. And you stated you did.

I was just making the point, that there's motive behind tatooing, and that we need to honestly think about what that motive is, lest someone else be in same position you were, and get one too, because they are lead by a motive that isn't really one that is edifying to themselves or the Lord.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

Without commenting one way or another, may I ask if anyone has found scripture that tells us to get a tattoo or that it is OK to have one? I've seen the scripture that speaks against it already.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I hope that none of us judges the other person with a tattoo as a sinner based on the Levitical law, especially in the instance of a Christian getting a tattoo, when the reason for getting the tattoo clearly has nothing to do with paganism. Some might feel that way?

I have worked in Evangelism and revivals since 1990. Not entirely from a pulpit, but out on the streets and in homes. My best results have been teaming with a group of "rough" looking people, some with tattoos and piercings, and almost looking like gang members. We work with people in the inner city and in the conservative suburbs both. We have brought hundreds to Christ and once doubled the size of our church in two years. When God goes with you not even tattoos and piercings can stop you. It's your witness of caring, honesty, zeal, and a passion for the message of Christ. Sometimes a well-dressed sheltered and possibly timid person is just too frail and closed-mouthed to get the job done. I'll take a person with a passion for Christ covered with tattoos any day, and together we will get to work. This was a very mixed church in all ways.

I however have no tattoos because I am chicken.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

Without commenting one way or another, may I ask if anyone has found scripture that tells us to get a tattoo or that it is OK to have one? I've seen the scripture that speaks against it already.

Hasn't the passage from Leviticus been dealt with already?

I hope that none of us judges the other person with a tattoo as a sinner based on the Levitical law

I hope so as well.

I have worked in Evangelism and revivals since 1990. Not entirely from a pulpit, but out on the streets and in homes. My best results have been teaming with a group of "rough" looking people, some with tattoos and piercings, and almost looking like gang members. We work with people in the inner city and in the conservative suburbs both. We have brought hundreds to Christ and once doubled the size of our church in two years. When God goes with you not even tattoos and piercings can stop you. It's your witness of caring, honesty, zeal, and a passion for the message of Christ. Sometimes a well-dressed sheltered and possibly timid person is just too frail and closed-mouthed to get the job done. I'll take a person with a passion for Christ covered with tattoos any day, and together we will get to work. This was a very mixed church in all ways.

Exactly my point earlier. Also, those "rough" ones that you speak of are able IMO to reach some that someone in a three piece suit may not be able too.

Yes it has IMO. If I am understanding OneLight correctly, he is not asking about that passage but rather asking if there is a 'positive' passage.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

Yes it has IMO. If I am understanding OneLight correctly, he is not asking about that passage but rather asking if there is a 'positive' passage.

Correct. I have read many threads on this subject where scripture against tattoos have been brought to light, so I was curious to see if any can be brought to light in favor of them. I've never read one ...

Maybe these can be considered as positive passages, or as stated exceptions to Leviticus:

(I'll toss it out for thought anyway)

Eze 9:4 (mark in forehead)

Rev 9:4 (mark in forehead)

These may not be an acceptable fit, but if taken literally a mark is a mark, but the best permission is Romans 14:14, in fact all of Romans 14. Maybe if it is a Godly mark it's OK. Or if it is a pagan mark, not OK.

If God so hates a mark, why would he cause it to be done? Why even figuratively?

This was written of Jesus himself:

Rev 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written Kings of Kings and Lords of Lords