IGNORED

when to speak

Guest Biblicist

This morning, during Christian Development time I found myself in this very situation...When to speak and when to "learn in silence".

We were discussing something and I wanted to ask a question so badly. But I decided to keep my mouth shut and pray that the LORD would offer the answer. Sure enough, during the morning message, the very question I wished to ask was answered. (1 Timothy 2:11). If I had asked the question, it would have broken the flow of the lesson and possibly derailed the message being conveyed. By learning in silence, I let things be taught that were necessary and still learned what I needed to know.

Of course, it takes patience and restraint. Something I'm not normally good at. But I am learning. :whistling:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Mom always said if you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

This is a daily struggle for me (because I am a TALKER!!! I'm a teacher so I have to be.). However, I am getting better at not talking so much...it's hard but worth the effort!! :whistling:

This is so were I am at right now .... though I dont think its possible for anyone to talk more than I do!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

This morning, during Christian Development time I found myself in this very situation...When to speak and when to "learn in silence".

We were discussing something and I wanted to ask a question so badly. But I decided to keep my mouth shut and pray that the LORD would offer the answer. Sure enough, during the morning message, the very question I wished to ask was answered. (1 Timothy 2:11). If I had asked the question, it would have broken the flow of the lesson and possibly derailed the message being conveyed. By learning in silence, I let things be taught that were necessary and still learned what I needed to know.

Of course, it takes patience and restraint. Something I'm not normally good at. But I am learning. :whistling:

What a great example. The older I get, the less I talk. As with any of our freedoms, it is not just about "is it allowable", but "does it edify" -- another way of saying - is it necessary. There is some small talk and games that may seem "unnecessary", but are actually helping building the relationship by tearing down walls; so this is not always easy to discern.

1 Corinthians 10:23

Edited by His_Own

Guest Biblicist

Of course, it takes patience and restraint. Something I'm not normally good at. But I am learning. :laugh:

What a great example. The older I get, the less I talk. As with any of our freedoms, it is not just about "is it allowable", but "does it edify" -- another way of saying - is it necessary. There is some small talk and games that may seem "unnecessary", but are actually helping building the relationship by tearing down walls; so this is not always easy to discern.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The best advice is to ask yourself: Would Marnie say something? If you think she would, DON'T!! In the name of all that's holy, don't ever do what I would do; you should see the trouble my big mouth gets me into. :emot-pray:

Guest Biblicist
The best advice is to ask yourself: Would Marnie say something? If you think she would, DON'T!! In the name of all that's holy, don't ever do what I would do; you should see the trouble my big mouth gets me into. :laugh:

WWMS? :emot-pray:

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The best advice is to ask yourself: Would Marnie say something? If you think she would, DON'T!! In the name of all that's holy, don't ever do what I would do; you should see the trouble my big mouth gets me into. :th_praying:

WWMS? :emot-shakehead:

Right. "Quagmire" comes to mind.... oy.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

Solutions I have found for learning to keep my mouth shut are to have a teenager in the house and remembering that no matter how funny, ingenious, original, etc...something may sound in your mind it rarely takes that same form when it's spoken. It's much less work to dismiss a thought than to undo damage of words.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/03/1975

I try to remember that God gave me two eyes, two ears and one mouth ...

I like that one. :emot-questioned:

Of course, it takes patience and restraint. Something I'm not normally good at. But I am learning. :emot-fail:

Patience is not usually a problem for me. It's the restraint part that sometimes throws me for a loop. :emot-fail:

Of course, it takes patience and restraint. Something I'm not normally good at. But I am learning. :emot-fail: