• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/24/1971

I have seen a couple of major artists out there say "well...all of our band members are Christian, but we don't won't to be labled as a Christian band because...blah blah blah"

Romans 10:9-11 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."

I have seen a couple of major artists out there say "well...all of our band members are Christian, but we don't won't to be labled as a Christian band because...blah blah blah"

Romans 10:9-11 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."

I suppose that would depend on who was doing the labeling. If it is the christian record "business", I could understand their sentiments because they would soon be singing only to christians and I believe the message of the gospel should go outside of the religious establishment. If a band can compete in the general marketplace on the merits of their professionalism and excellence in their craft, that would speak volumes about their faithfulness, imo. A good example of that would be POD.

I also understand your point. If it is a fear of man issue where they are actually denying the One who bought them, that would be a different matter. As someone once said, "If you were put on trial for being a christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

One dentist is a Christian, the other is not, but I want my teeth repaired by the dentist that knows what he is doing.

One mechanic is a Christian, the other is not, but I want my car repaired by the mechanic that knows what he is doing.

Your banker, insurance agent, butcher, baker, and lawyer, all are hired to provide professional services. If they love Jesus, it comes out of their living and speaking, not just their carreers.

If a Christian plays polka at the retirment home to entertain the residents, is that evil?

There certainly are evil paths that men can and do take, but Christians find out what and where Jesus wants them, and then follow as He leads.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

One dentist is a Christian, the other is not, but I want my teeth repaired by the dentist that knows what he is doing.

One mechanic is a Christian, the other is not, but I want my car repaired by the mechanic that knows what he is doing.

Your banker, insurance agent, butcher, baker, and lawyer, all are hired to provide professional services. If they love Jesus, it comes out of their living and speaking, not just their carreers.

If a Christian plays polka at the retirment home to entertain the residents, is that evil?

There certainly are evil paths that men can and do take, but Christians find out what and where Jesus wants them, and then follow as He leads.

:glare:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I think that the confirmed Christian has much better things to bring to the table. Php 2 talks about how our participation in Christ should bring winsome traits and surety. We are to works excellently, honoring masters and servants - all sorts of behavior in our business interaction with others.

As a beliver, regenerated, with a new mind, we should also have a better world view. I submit that a Calvinistic worldview brought about the hard sciences and was the foundation in forming the united States. It was Christian principles that opened up charities, hospitals and universities. By looking at our past we can see that both on a micro and macro level, Christian identity and ethics bring about prosperity and peace.

There is no shame in being a Christian, as if the OP tried to draw out, when you have Chrsitians of Opportunity, or those who are Expedient Christians, those who are Christians when it is "safe" and advantageous, we aren't talking believers in our LORD; believers in a vanity religion perhaps, but not the regenerated, filled-with-the-spirit sort of faith.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31

I know where our brother is coming from, but I also see where Another Traveler is coming from, as well. I'm a Christian writer, but write almost no Christian literature. My reasons are my own, but I'm reasonably sure that doesn't make me less of a Christian. In the believer's life, there really is no difference between the secular and the sacred elements; our duty is to glorify G-d in our bodies, no matter what we are doing or where we are going.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31

I know where our brother is coming from, but I also see where Another Traveler is coming from, as well. I'm a Christian writer, but write almost no Christian literature. My reasons are my own, but I'm reasonably sure that doesn't make me less of a Christian. In the believer's life, there really is no difference between the secular and the sacred elements; our duty is to glorify G-d in our bodies, no matter what we are doing or where we are going.

I agree with this. :rolleyes::whistling:

I'm a musician who has written a handful of Christian tunes and played in a few worship bands. But most of my life was spent playing Brown Eyed Girl and such just to make a buck. I don't believe I am any less a Christian for it, nor do I believe I should be labeled a Christian Artist. I am a Christian who is an artist. :noidea:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  06/24/1971

The major artists that I am referring to have made statements like that in interviews. They were very bostful about being a Christian band/artist UNTIL they ended up on VH-1 or MTV. When this happens, I have a major issue with them because it is very evident, despite what they may say, why they have begun to state such things in interviews and have begun watering down their lyrics to appeal to the masses and culture (or doing whatever the major record label is trying to dictate to them to do) rather than continuing in what the Lord intended them to do.

I listen to artists such as Lecrae, KJ-52, Skillet, Pillar, P.O.D. and many others who are very bolsterous in their stance on Christ while at the same time, they can and do write songs that are not praise and worship songs. Every Christian song does not have to be a praise and worship song and there are groups like Family Force 5 who have been able to pull this off quite well while still having very obvious messages within their songs that keep the focus on Christ even though the song is not a priase and worship song.

On the other side of the coin, there are secular artists who have sung the most beautiful renditions of gospel songs and yet every other song they produce has to do with glorifying audultry, alcoholism, etc and their very own walk in life lacks the fruit of the spirit. We're either hot or cold but heaven help us if we're luke-warm.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

The major artists that I am referring to have made statements like that in interviews. They were very bostful about being a Christian band/artist UNTIL they ended up on VH-1 or MTV. When this happens, I have a major issue with them because it is very evident, despite what they may say, why they have begun to state such things in interviews and have begun watering down their lyrics to appeal to the masses and culture (or doing whatever the major record label is trying to dictate to them to do) rather than continuing in what the Lord intended them to do.

I listen to artists such as Lecrae, KJ-52, Skillet, Pillar, P.O.D. and many others who are very bolsterous in their stance on Christ while at the same time, they can and do write songs that are not praise and worship songs. Every Christian song does not have to be a praise and worship song and there are groups like Family Force 5 who have been able to pull this off quite well while still having very obvious messages within their songs that keep the focus on Christ even though the song is not a priase and worship song.

On the other side of the coin, there are secular artists who have sung the most beautiful renditions of gospel songs and yet every other song they produce has to do with glorifying audultry, alcoholism, etc and their very own walk in life lacks the fruit of the spirit. We're either hot or cold but heaven help us if we're luke-warm.

Both Elvis and Johnny Cash met opposition from the recording industry when they wanted to record gospel music. Should they have quit the music industry all together or did they do the right thing by staying in the business till they were big enought to glorify God on their own nickel? I personally am glad that they stuck with it. Neither one of them needed a label of any kind to attract listeners. They let the music speak for itself. :noidea: