• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Hi Kansas,

I have a confession question (not a debate or anything but an honest question about the Catholic view).

Do you ever worry that you would go for confession and the priest would be so disturbed by your past (lets say if you had never been to confession before and thus had a bagful of sins you could name), that he would not proclaim forgiveness? Does that ever happen?

I posted that question on a Catholic sight and I already received a good example. Lets say you confess to having an affair. And the Priest will inevitably instruct you that you must stop having the affair, yet you refuse. You can't stop because you "love" her yada yada yada. In this case even though you ask for forgiveness you are not truly repentant.

Lets contrast that. Let say you have an addiction to drugs. You agree to get help to stop, you desire to stop but you tell the Priest of your fear that you will fail. That you are afraid you might give in even though you so desire to stop. And later you do in fact fail. The Priest would have (in my opinion) absolved the sin in the first confession, and one would receive much Grace from God so that you can break the addiction.

Also, at no time are we ever going to fool God.

God Bless,

K.D.

Okay thanks, and that makes total sense and is scriptural. If we ask God for forgiveness for a sin we are refusing to give up we are in a delusion to think that it is forgiven, such as an ongoing affair.

Thanks.

Another example given was, some one goes to confession and confesses that they are living with their girlfriend, not married. He comes in again and again with the same confession refusing to change the living situation. The Priest would tell the person that he must change his ways before the sin is absolved. Now once he actually changes his behavior, and is truly sorry for the sin, it most definitely can be forgiven.

God Bless,

K.D.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/10/1971

Ok, this is all really interesting. I'm finding out way more than I intended when I posted the original question. Yay! And it has jogged my memory about something. I'm going to have to look it up, but isn't it in the Old Testament, I think in Deuteronomy (hope I spelled that right) where it lays out for the Jews how sins were forgiven? I think that's where Jesus dying on the cross replaced all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices that the Jews had to give in order to be absolved of their wrong doing. Ok, off to get my Bible..... :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

If the priest forgives them of their sin, why are those who are forgiven told to say so many of one prayer, more of another, and if the sin is really bad, the Rosary? Is this not works for forgiveness?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I'm curious about all of the differences in the denominations and one thing iI'm most curious about is where did the "practice" for lack of a better word, come from as far as priests having the authority to absolve people of their sins? I'm sure this is in here somewhere, but couldn't find it in the other threads. Sorry if this is redundant.

No, I don't think you are being redundent in asking your questions. Well you can get ahold of a good bible reference book and I'm sure you'll find something or you could search it out online and find some more information.

Or, you could do what I do in order to find the truth on the matter as it will take some work on your part you need to start reading in "Exodus" and start a reading on up to the book of "Number" and pay attention as you read and you will find your answers

Just so you'll know what I personally believe on what you have asked. I believe we are "not" to confess our sins to a priest for the remission of our sins. Neither, are we to call them Father as we are told this in the gospels call no man father on earth as there is only one Father and that is your Father in heaven. Nor, do I believe in praying to Mary but I personally pray to God the Father in Jesus Name.

Hope I have helped somehow

OC

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

John 20: 21Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. 22And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Matthew 9: 6But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house. 7And he arose, and departed to his house. 8But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled, and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

Luke 5:23Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? 24But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

James 5: 14Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

2 Cor. 5: 18And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

Matthew 18: 18Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

2 Cor. 2: 10To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;

God Bless,

K.D.

None of these references has anything to do with priestly authority. Christ was talking to the dsiciples who had been given the authority, Personally and He personally breathed on them to receive the Holy Spirit, when they were to become His apostles.........Show me any priest today who has had Jesus Christ breath into him in the person of HIM. I , like a lot of others, received the H/S after I repented of my sins, but that does not give me the power to grant forgiveness or remit any sin. Jesus was around a long time before any catholic priest.

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread into another catholic- bashing thread so I will retire.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

You know though I don't think that it is Catholic bashing to simply say I don't agree with that doctrine because of these points. I think it crosses over when we get into calling the whole Catholic Church pagan or non-Christian or part of some sort of evil conspiracy and so forth. We all disagree with many different teachings that different Christian Churches hold. Part of this board at least for me is to simply rationally talk about why we believe what we do, versus saying you are inherently evil or part of something evil or wrong because you believe what you do.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

You know though I don't think that it is Catholic bashing to simply say I don't agree with that doctrine because of these points. I think it crosses over when we get into calling the whole Catholic Church pagan or non-Christian or part of some sort of evil conspiracy and so forth. We all disagree with many different teachings that different Christian Churches hold. Part of this board at least for me is to simply rationally talk about why we believe what we do, versus saying you are inherently evil or part of something evil or wrong because you believe what you do.

It shouldn't be about Catholic bashing or Baptistt bashing or any other kind of bashing. It should be about what the bible says or doesn't say.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/10/1971

I must really apologize. I wasn't asking whether forgiveness was right, I wasn't commenting positively or negatively about the Catholic church. I was simply interested something the Catholic church practices, something that wouldn't be in the Bible since the Catholic church didn't exist at that time. I think a trip to the library is in order.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I must really apologize. I wasn't asking whether forgiveness was right, I wasn't commenting positively or negatively about the Catholic church. I was simply interested something the Catholic church practices, something that wouldn't be in the Bible since the Catholic church didn't exist at that time. I think a trip to the library is in order.

Just read Acts 4:12, Robin, before you go off to the library. It speaks volumes.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

It shouldn't be about Catholic bashing or Baptistt bashing or any other kind of bashing. It should be about what the bible says or doesn't say.

Yes I agree.

Which is why Kansasdad posted the scripture he did in support of both the authority of the Church to forgive sins and the pratice of confession.

We can disagree with his interpretation.