• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  445
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

I made a post earlier in the week about Dr. Melvin Blackaby taking over as Sr. Pastor as one of the local churches here in the Atlanta area and today was his first sermon. I am not what you would call a church goer but I managed to get myself together and headed to church to listen to him and he is fabulous and left me wanting to hear so much more from him. He is more of a teacher than a preacher if that makes any sense in other words he's not one of those pastors that stands at the pulpit and tells you that every thing you do is wrong in a condemning way while making it seem as if he's the only perfect one in the building. He very much from the start lets you know that he's just like you in that he struggles with his walk and he speaks the truth instead of saying what the congregation wants to hear.

I knew from the second that I heard he was coming that for whatever reason the Lord was putting him in my life for some reason. Many pastors have come and gone and I'd give no thought about it but without ever meeting the man something within me knew that he was being sent to not only me but this community by our Lord the whole reason I'm not sure of yet it's just one of those things when you see it or hear it you know it.

So here is my delima I'm not a big people person and this church holds well over 1,000 people who don't get me wrong are very friendly for the most part but how do I put this nicely they are "STIFF". In other words there is no excitement , no fire, no nothing they come in sit down, stand up sing what are supposed to be energetic worship songs but the vast majority of them just stand there like robots who are being forced to do something they don't want to do. The worship music is fantastic and at certain points I'd want to clap or tap my feet but it just felt out of place to do so almost as if it would interrupt the seemingly programmed routine they follow.

The church is made up primarily of older people say 50-60+ yrs. old with your usual small group of younger kids. So the upbeat worship music and the age of the members just seems to throw the whole service off balance. It's like they are trying to be a church on fire but keep pouring water on the fire so it doesn't offend or alienate the older members so in the end all they have is a little flame that isn't allowed to grow into the raging inferno that God wants it to be.

I want very much to continue to hear Dr. Blackaby speak and to learn what God wants me know through his teaching but how can you do that if the environment in which you have to go in is uncomfortable?? I liken it to going to a concert and having horrible seats or rude people sitting next to you. You go because you want to hear the music but can't enjoy it because of all the other things going on around you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Isa

Amen!

:th_praying:

:th_praying:

I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130:5-6

:cool:

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,285
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/12/1974

im not sure what to say...but maybe you can just dance and do what ever you want....maybe they need people like you to give them a boost :th_praying:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Can you get his messages on tape or cd ?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1991

im not sure what to say...but maybe you can just dance and do what ever you want....maybe they need people like you to give them a boost :)

My thoughts exactly :rolleyes:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could find a church that had everything we want? Right music, right messages, right people and so on. For a long time I wanted to go to a church where I was "fed". I focused on what I was getting rather than what I should be giving and that is the worship and praise to God. No, I will not sit and listen to someone who teaches something that conflicts with God's Word, so I am not suggesting that.

Maybe you need to be the 'on-fire' person. One thing for sure if you are on fire others will come for miles to watch you burn. If God moves you to clap, shout or whatever, why do you care what others think? We should be led by the spirit and follow were God leads us.

Some of the churches today are in the shape they are in because too many people are unwilling to be moved by the spirit. They don't want to offend anyone. Some people need to be offended...it might wake them up to the reality of a living God. Those who are worried about image and what others will think are focused on self (speaking from personal experience) and not focused on just saying "YES Lord" use me!

If you truly believe that God put this pastor in your life for a purpose, then it is in your best interest, spiritually, to find out what that reason is. Maybe you are the one who will move some of those who seem spiritually dead. Who knows......be still and wait on God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could find a church that had everything we want? Right music, right messages, right people and so on. For a long time I wanted to go to a church where I was "fed". I focused on what I was getting rather than what I should be giving and that is the worship and praise to God. No, I will not sit and listen to someone who teaches something that conflicts with God's Word, so I am not suggesting that.

Maybe you need to be the 'on-fire' person. One thing for sure if you are on fire others will come for miles to watch you burn. If God moves you to clap, shout or whatever, why do you care what others think? We should be led by the spirit and follow were God leads us.

Some of the churches today are in the shape they are in because too many people are unwilling to be moved by the spirit. They don't want to offend anyone. Some people need to be offended...it might wake them up to the reality of a living God. Those who are worried about image and what others will think are focused on self (speaking from personal experience) and not focused on just saying "YES Lord" use me!

If you truly believe that God put this pastor in your life for a purpose, then it is in your best interest, spiritually, to find out what that reason is. Maybe you are the one who will move some of those who seem spiritually dead. Who knows......be still and wait on God.

Amen, Glorywatch you stated it perfectly. Me and a small group of my friends had a attended a church like this briefly a while back ago. the music was awesome put the people needed to be shook up. We'll we had come from a "free" church where praise was a "no holds barred" we didn't care who was watching we put our praise to God first, a couple of months later the whole church was "shook" up. It only takes one to cause a ripple effect. :)