ps127v1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think that if evolution weren't taught that crime would be lower? I have been placed in a place (Detention Center, ie. jail) as a Correctional Officer for the time being and have seen a different side to how people act. It seems that when the inmates are treated like "animals" they act as such because they truly believe they are no better than just that. But, when I go around I try to give them a glimpse of who they really are...a created person that God has a specific plan for and have had good talks with several "bad" boys. It seems that when they see that they have a purpose from something/someone greater than themselves they act a bit differently.

Your thoughts. Could teaching creation change the direction of some of those in (I'd hate to reference just one people group, but this is a for instance) poor, lower class areas?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Again, this isn't for a debate, just your honest thoughts.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Our beliefs certainly determine our actions.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

The approach you describe seemed to work well for Father Flannigan. Teaching creation is a wonderful idea and I agree that it just might instill a sense of worth in an individual.

Again, this isn't for a debate, just your honest thoughts.

:emot-heartbeat:

Lies Are Never Right

The Truth Is Never Wrong

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

Isaiah 5:20-21

:emot-highfive:

Jesus Is LORD

The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

Acts 10:36

God Made Everything

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Acts 17:24

Jesus Wins

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

Revelation 17:14

:emot-handshake:

Believe

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

For He Is Worthy

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Revelation 4:11

And He Will Make You Free

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

John 8:36

Hallelujah

Amen

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Crime has always existed, and this long before Evolution began to be considered!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Do you think that if evolution weren't taught that crime would be lower?

Yes.

When you look up statistics, since prayer was removed from school, stats of violence crime, drugs, prostitution, abortion, drug use, premarital sex etc, etc, etc have all gone up. I believe it is directly related.

I have been placed in a place (Detention Center, ie. jail) as a Correctional Officer for the time being and have seen a different side to how people act. It seems that when the inmates are treated like "animals" they act as such because they truly believe they are no better than just that. But, when I go around I try to give them a glimpse of who they really are...a created person that God has a specific plan for and have had good talks with several "bad" boys. It seems that when they see that they have a purpose from something/someone greater than themselves they act a bit differently.

I agree. Being in foster care, I see this all of the time too.

Your thoughts. Could teaching creation change the direction of some of those in (I'd hate to reference just one people group, but this is a for instance) poor, lower class areas?

Absolutely.

Do you think that if evolution weren't taught that crime would be lower? <snip> It seems that when they see that they have a purpose from something/someone greater than themselves they act a bit differently.

I think you're right. Treat someone like an animal and that's what you will get. The reaction will vary by individual, but you will get a reaction like you mention. The same can be said for teaching evolution or creation -- tell a kid for 12 years that they are essentially an animal and that's what they'll start acting like. Let them know they are a human being created in God's image and things begin to change - although it may take time for them to actually believe it.

I live and work in a couple of different low income areas, and the culture can be very violent. Child abuse, drugs, crime, and all that. Only Jesus can change a heart, but teaching creation might be a good start. Many young people today have had virtually no exposure to the Bible or a knowledge of God at all.

I remember as a kid just starting school being aware that there was a God, even though my family didn't practice much in the way of "religion." I learned the 10 Commandments because they were posted on the classroom wall in a public school in Texas. There was a standard of behavior that was enforced - with a paddle when required. There was also a sense that even if the teacher didn't see you do something wrong, there was a God who saw all things. People behaved differently back then. There was respect for others - something grossly lacking in certain areas today. We learned it early back then.