• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

Most of the contexts of the use of the word(s) for fear when used with God as the object speak to reverence that leads to action. For example:

Then He said, "Do not lay a hand on the boy or do anything to him. For now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your only son from Me."

Genesis 22:12 HCSB

Most of the uses come from variants of the hebrew word yareh

Good point, Eric.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Very nicely said, PA! :consoling2:

I think C.S. Lewis said it best in a children's book:

Lucy: "Is He safe?"

Mr. Beaver: "Safe? Of course He isn't safe! But He's very good."

ahhh great observation! Perhaps I can digest that a bit

:bored-1::whistling::laugh:

Amen!

:blink:

After 40 Or So Years Of Vexation Over The Fear Of God Verses The Love Of God

I Came To The Conclusion It Is Simply A Matter Of Trust, My Trust

And Brother Job Nailed It

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.

Job 13:15

And The Holy Spirit Through Paul Put Trust (Faith) Into A Word Picture So Simple Even I Could Understand It

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Galatians 4:6

It's All About Jesus Christ And Him Crucified

It's All About Jesus Christ And His Goodness And His Power And His Joy

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24-25

All I Have To Do Is Spit Out That Filthy Snake Food

And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 3:14-16

As I Take A Deep Bit Of The Holy Word

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

And Drink In His Holy Name

Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.

1 Chronicles 16:10

Oh Hallelujah!

Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the name of the LORD; praise him, O ye servants of the LORD.

Psalms 135:1

Amen

:101:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Psalm 103:13

The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.

as we are small and weak compared to the might and glory of God, it would be easy to fear him. you'll notice as you go thru the bible, God says over and over again to "fear not".

a verse i ran across last week which i am pondering: in proverbs 8:13 - The fear of the LORD is to hate evil . . .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,041
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

Here is where a good understanding of Hebrew terminology comes into play. i'm not claiming to be an expert on the Ancient Hebrew langugage but I went through all the words translated as "Fear" in the Bible, and found taht there were at leas 19 (possibly even 20 or 21) different words or derivitives of words that have been translated as this word, "fear". Each translation has its own unique conceptof "fear". There is "fear" int he sense of total dread and terror. There is "fear" in the sense of ones imminent death.....

And what I have noticed out of all of this is that only ONE word is ever used in the context of "Fear God". This world holds high connotataions of reverence and awe, and helps to understand how we should "fear God". Considering reverene and awe, let us consider for a moment that it is the final of the American NFL Superbowl. The two teams are waiting in the dressing rooms, ready to go out and do what is necessary. I doubt a single one of them would not have "fear". They are naturally worried by the awesomeness of the occassion. The SuperBowl is the NFL's biggest event of the year. The players are worried, excited, afraid, nervous, giddy, and more, all at the same time. And this is just a sports event. As the teams run on to the field, they are greeted by screams and boo's, screams and cheers, and they look to the packed stadium and think "Wow, this is big".

This is the context of how the word "Fear" is used in the Bible to refer to God. There are plenty of words that are used to describe "fear" in the sense of abject terror, but they are never used to refer to God. Only one word is used to describe Fear of God, and that is the Fear that one expects in something so awesome and big that they cannot help but marvel at the greatness (such as an NFL superbowl). This Fear is healthy, natural, and above all, non-intrusive/non-invasive. Truly, God is a being to Fear. He created us, he can destroy us just as easily. he is the creator of all that is and was and will be, and to be in God's presence is.... Wow, I can't imagine to describe. Certainly more awesome and revering than a simple sports mtch, no matter what the stakes.

Fear God - this term carries the overtones of "awe" and "reverence" when we speak of Fear, and should not be confused iwth the times when the word "fear" is translated from other words which refer to people be terrified out of their pants in abject horror at things that are happening. They are different words, with different meanings.

All the best,

Perhaps now we need to understand what type of "awe" and "reverence" we are to have of God . . .

Somehow these words tend to sound like a reduction of what God intended. After all, this "awe" and "reverence" caused the father of faith to be willing to take the life of his own son and is said to be the beginning of wisdom which causes men to hate sin and depart form evil.

Paul addressed it as "knowing the terror of the Lord we persuade men" to depart from evil.

It is interesting that God commands us to both love and fear Him with all our hearts.

De 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

De 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Included in the fear of God is the deep realization that God will do what He says he will do. He never changes. He is himself. Therefore we must and do change to suit him. This understanding brings wisdom because it motivates the child of God unto obedience even when it goes against the natural grain. As we obey God we move in wisdom and humility which open the door to many blessings.