• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1975

My neighbors got a dog about a year ago, and they don't take care of him. He's neglected, and it just breaks my heart. There would be times he would be without food or water for a few days, but I was able to slip food and water through the fence for him and pet him and love on him (they leave him in the backyard at all times, he does not go in the house with them, and I have never seen anyone in the backyard playing with him). I finally said something to the little boy who lives there about the dog not having any food, and he has not gone without food or water since. Now, however, they have him leashed up. So, even if he does end up with no food or water, I can't get to him. I can't go over and pet him anymore. Anyway, he was crying and barking a lot a little while ago, so I looked out the window of my upper floor to check on him, and I'm pretty sure my neighbor saw me looking into their yard, and I felt SO guilty. I'm so sad for this doggie, he deserves a family to love him and give him the attention and affection he needs. I don't know what to do...they got him from the shelter, and trust me, calling this in and having him sent back there is worse, at least in this county.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do they leave him out when it storms?

Yes, he is not allowed inside the house (they told me this themselves when they got him. Apparently the mother, who owns the house, said he is not allowed in.). They do have a dog house in the backyard though.

I agonize over this poor dog, and so many times I want to say something (and that one time I did, as I said in my OP). I told my hubby that I thought I got caught looking today, and he said, "Good. Maybe it'll force them to do the right thing by that dog." If we didn't already have two dogs, I would make it my mission to take the dog off their hands for them, but I can't. I feel so helpless, so I prayed earlier that God would open their eyes to that precious dog's needs and that they would have compassion for him. I've been ok so far in this because I had access to him, but now that I don't, I feel desperate for his well-being.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  780
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  04/20/1983

How can the shelter be worse? He'd have a roof over his head and food to eat, surely? Things he's going without now, right? I can't speak for your lot but over here we have the RSPCA to take care of neglected and abused animals. Surely there's something similar over there?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

I don't know about America (if that is where you live), but in Australia, we have a group called the Royal Society for the Protection and Care of Animals (RSPCA). If such an organisation exists in the U.S (not just an animal shelter), contact them for further details. Other than that, if you aren't afraid of starting a form of turf war with your neighbours, you could confront them, or bring in Animal Rights Activists to help......

Just a few suggestions.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

In America, we have the SPCA. Mathqueen had pointed something out about the shelter in her county, not our country. If she were to call animal control, the dog would probably be taken to a county or city shelter, which they are all run differently. However, at least in a shelter, the dog would get food.

In America, we have the SPCA. Mathqueen had pointed something out about the shelter in her county, not our country. If she were to call animal control, the dog would probably be taken to a county or city shelter, which they are all run differently. However, at least in a shelter, the dog would get food.

Yes, as Xan said, I was referring to the county in which I live. The shelter here is worse than him living at the home next door (there was yet another letter to the editor in today's paper about it, it's that bad), and like I stated earlier, ever since I said something to the boy, he has not been without food and water. It's the neglect that kills me. He deserves to be included in the family and loved and played with and walked every day. I will look for and pray for openings to talk to them. I just want him to be a PART of a loving family, not tied up in the backyard like some lawn ornament. Poor baby. :P

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/24/1987

If you want to call in, the SPCA will not kill him. PETA will, but SPCA wont. They are very good to animals, and he will find a loving home very quickly

Edited by Chou