IGNORED

Biblical tongues

O'Dannyboy

Guest celebratejesus

1 Cor. 14:5

I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

This is on tongues but no where in the bible can I find anything about a "prayer language". Can someone enlighten me on that? Also, I would like to know why anyone in God's family would so focus on one gift and even state that "not to have it" is not to have the "fullness" of Christ in them? I would like to know the verses that teach this?

Thank you in advance for your help:)

Living for Him, denise

You are speaking directly to God by the Holy Spirit without Satan being able to understand it.

I have trouble with this one. If praying in tongues is speaking the tongues of angels, how can Satan not understand it?

Satan is an angel. :sad030:

Have taken it out ovedya. I meant that you are speaking directly to God not man.

Aren't all forms of prayer talking to God, though?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

This is on tongues but no where in the bible can I find anything about a "prayer language". Can someone enlighten me on that? Also, I would like to know why anyone in God's family would so focus on one gift and even state that "not to have it" is not to have the "fullness" of Christ in them? I would like to know the verses that teach this?

Living for Him, denise

Like I said, in 1 Cor. 14, Pual mentions tongues being used to speak to God - which is what prayer is, right?

So, since we so often use our gift of tongues in order to speak to God - pray - we just call it our prayer language.

We could just say that we are praying with our gift of tongues, but that's too big of a mouthful, wouldn't you say?

So why shorten it to "praying in tongues?"

And since we are praying with our tongues, and use it primarily for prayer, why is it wrong to call it a "prayer language?" :sad030:

Guest shiloh357

Living for Him, denise

Hi Denise, the term "prayer language" is modern vernacular. It is based on this passage:

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

(1 Corinthians 14:14-15)

Notice that Paul contrasts praying in the spirit vs. praying with our understanding. Later is v. 19, Paul contrasts speaking five words with his understannding vs. ten thousand words in a tongue.

Clearly, from the text we can see that there is prayer language that circumvents our understanding.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

one thing that has helped me is studying gods word and not listening to what man has to say tongues is a gift that god gives us though when it comes to the other gifts tongues is the very last gift on the list

the term tongues when used in refrence to speaking just simply means language the Greek word is glossa and means tongues language and the verb laleo means to speak producing the word glossolalia

if you go to strongs and look at the definition you will come across these refrences

Thayer Definition glossa

1 the tongue a member of the body an origon of speech

2 a tongue

3 the language or dialect used by particular people distinct from that of other nations

Mark 16 - 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe in my name shall they cast out devils they shal speak with new tongues

and when i was looking into this for my self i noticed this

this statement made by Jesus to his apostles on the gift of speaking in tongues is in the context of the Greatest commission to preach the gospel to the whole world to every creature Jesus disciples were to receive the power of the gift of the holy spirit and they were to proclaim the good news of what jesus had achieved for all mankind first in Israel and then to all the nations tongues foreign languages and people i also noticed as i looked into this for my self that these signs were to confirm the gospel message

thou as i did my own re search into this i also noticed that Jesus never had this gift he had all the other gifts though he never had the gift when it comes to speaking in tongues

pual also explains to the corinthians that the gifts of the spirit are for the advancment of gods kingdom on earth and not for personal edification

tongues are for those that do not believe this is how i have been taught

i also noticed that paul did not discourage any one from speaking in tongues

1 corinthians 14

39 So my brothers earnestly desire to prophesy and do not forbid speaking in tongues

why would paul lay down the law then say this in 1 corinthians 14 and make it clear in verse 39 by saying my brothers earnestly desire to prophesy and do not forbid speaking in tongues

paul would have made it clear and it would be written in plain ink for us all to see to the point were our pastors would be teaching from the pulpit and saying that we are not to seek this gift

if god tends to want us to have this gift and this gift is given to us will you reject it all due to the law ? and say no thank you lord or wil you just accept this with out questioning god ?

what paul is saying is that tongues are a sign to unbelievers who are moved when they hear the gospel spoken in their tongue by men who had never learned or understood it this is exactly what happend at penticost they were all amazed when they heard these unlearned Galilieans speaking in there own native tongue

hear is a site that helped me http://www.speaking-in-tongues.net

you will find this site very use full i did not just dive into this my self when i came out jail in 1988 and found my self in a unitting church that was very charasmatic penticostal i sat at the back and i observed what was going on i am also my own man i do my own re search i do not dive in head first or do i follow suit because everyone else is saying if you dont you cant say you are a true christian

the bible gives us basic guide lines how to live out this life and all we have is gods living word

hope this helps

God bles from damo

Guest celebratejesus

The bible needs no interpretation by man, nor can it "be" interpreted by man.

2 Peter 1:20-21

knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation

for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Living for Him, denise

Living for Him, denise

You are speaking directly to God by the Holy Spirit without Satan being able to understand it.

I have trouble with this one. If praying in tongues is speaking the tongues of angels, how can Satan not understand it?

Satan is an angel. :th_praying:

Have taken it out ovedya. I meant that you are speaking directly to God not man.

Aren't all forms of prayer talking to God, though?

Edited by celebratejesus

Guest celebratejesus

I don't see a prayer "language" here. I see communication with the Lord when mere "language" of man fails us. God hears me whether I can "speak" or not for it is spiritual communication, not of any "physical" communication.

God bless, denise

Living for Him, denise

Hi Denise, the term "prayer language" is modern vernacular. It is based on this passage:

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Notice that Paul contrasts praying in the spirit vs. praying with our understanding. Later is v. 19, Paul contrasts speaking five words with his understannding vs. ten thousand words in a tongue.

Clearly, from the text we can see that there is prayer language that circumvents our understanding.

Guest celebratejesus

I now exactly what "tongues" are and who is using them. But nothing in the bible ever has, nor will ever, justify what certain "movements"/"churches" are doing with a "gift" from God. I'll stick to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Living for Him, denise

one thing that has helped me is studying gods word and not listening to what man has to say tongues is a gift that god gives us though when it comes to the other gifts tongues is the very last gift on the list

the term tongues when used in refrence to speaking just simply means language the Greek word is glossa and means tongues language and the verb laleo means to speak producing the word glossolalia

if you go to strongs and look at the definition you will come across these refrences

Thayer Definition glossa

1 the tongue a member of the body an origon of speech

2 a tongue

3 the language or dialect used by particular people distinct from that of other nations

Mark 16 - 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe in my name shall they cast out devils they shal speak with new tongues

and when i was looking into this for my self i noticed this

this statement made by Jesus to his apostles on the gift of speaking in tongues is in the context of the Greatest commission to preach the gospel to the whole world to every creature Jesus disciples were to receive the power of the gift of the holy spirit and they were to proclaim the good news of what jesus had achieved for all mankind first in Israel and then to all the nations tongues foreign languages and people i also noticed as i looked into this for my self that these signs were to confirm the gospel message

thou as i did my own re search into this i also noticed that Jesus never had this gift he had all the other gifts though he never had the gift when it comes to speaking in tongues

pual also explains to the corinthians that the gifts of the spirit are for the advancment of gods kingdom on earth and not for personal edification

tongues are for those that do not believe this is how i have been taught

i also noticed that paul did not discourage any one from speaking in tongues

1 corinthians 14

39 So my brothers earnestly desire to prophesy and do not forbid speaking in tongues

why would paul lay down the law then say this in 1 corinthians 14 and make it clear in verse 39 by saying my brothers earnestly desire to prophesy and do not forbid speaking in tongues

paul would have made it clear and it would be written in plain ink for us all to see to the point were our pastors would be teaching from the pulpit and saying that we are not to seek this gift

if god tends to want us to have this gift and this gift is given to us will you reject it all due to the law ? and say no thank you lord or wil you just accept this with out questioning god ?

what paul is saying is that tongues are a sign to unbelievers who are moved when they hear the gospel spoken in their tongue by men who had never learned or understood it this is exactly what happend at penticost they were all amazed when they heard these unlearned Galilieans speaking in there own native tongue

hear is a site that helped me http://www.speaking-in-tongues.net

you will find this site very use full i did not just dive into this my self when i came out jail in 1988 and found my self in a unitting church that was very charasmatic penticostal i sat at the back and i observed what was going on i am also my own man i do my own re search i do not dive in head first or do i follow suit because everyone else is saying if you dont you cant say you are a true christian

the bible gives us basic guide lines how to live out this life and all we have is gods living word

hope this helps

God bles from damo

Guest shiloh357
I don't see a prayer "language" here. I see communication with the Lord when mere "language" of man fails us. God hears me whether I can "speak" or not for it is spiritual communication, not of any "physical" communication.

God bless, denise

Living for Him, denise

Very true, you won't see "prayer language" simply because that is a modern vernacular meant to communicate the above passage.

But the context surrounding the above passage is talking about speaking in an unknown tongue vs. speaking with understanding, thus praying with the spirit and praying with undertanding communicate the same the thing, as the context demands us to understand praying with the spirit as a term equvilant to praying in tongues. It is part of Paul's line of thought.

I see no reason to get hung up on modern verbage.

Guest shiloh357
The bible needs no interpretation by man, nor can it "be" interpreted by man.

2 Peter 1:20-21

knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation

for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Hi Denise,

You are misunderstanding Peter. Peter was talking about the transfiguration in that chapter and how they heard the voice of God and saw Jesus in His glory, but Peter went on to say that the prophetic word Scripture was a more sure word of prophecy than his eye witness account of Jesus' transfiguration.

He goes on to build on this by saying that it is more a more sure word of prophecy because it is not of private "interpretation" and the Greek word actually means "origin." In other words, the Scriptures are not product of the prophets private or subjective interpreation of any of experiences or world events occurring in their day. The prophecies according to Peter did not originate with the prophets themselves.

The Word of God is not the product of any motive or impulse on the part of the prophets, but rather they spoke as they moved on by the Holy Spirit.

Peter is not speaking against a person reading and discerning the meaning of a passage of Scripture. The Bible is designed to be studied and searched out and "interpretation" is the natural, unavoidable product of study.

EVERYONE interprets Scripture, for better or for worse. Everytime you read a text and decide, "this is what it means," you have interpreted it.

There is nothing in the Bible that tells us not to "interpret" Scripture. The interpretation is the intent of the author. We interpret Scripture by ascertaining the object the author has in view, and it is the author's responsibility to provide us with theh interpretation that he wants us to take from his writing. It is our responsibility to allow the text to draw out what the author intends for us to know.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I now exactly what "tongues" are and who is using them. But nothing in the bible ever has, nor will ever, justify what certain "movements"/"churches" are doing with a "gift" from God. I'll stick to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Living for Him, denise

Just for clarification -

Do you have/ practice this gift?