IGNORED

Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized be a Christian?

Mudcat

Christians and Baptism.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized, be a Christian?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe or Other...Please explain.
  2. 2. Does it matter who baptizes a Christian?

• Yes. If so, then who must do it.
    • No.
  3. 3. Does it matter what words are spoken at baptism.

• Yes. The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.
    • Yes. In the Name of Jesus Christ.
    • No.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1972

Hi all,

I have been tousling with baptism for a bit now, and thought I would post a thread in regards to it.

It has been promulgated by my church (SBC) that baptism isn't required for salvation.

I for the most part, would find myself in a position to agree with them. Verses regarding Salvation by Grace have been consistently postulated by the pastor, staff and congregation to reinforce such beliefs.

We view baptism as an ordinance. The ordinance has no salvific power, in and of itself...we say.

Are we missing something?

I would posit two Scriptures.

Mat 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

Mat 3:14 But John forbade him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Here we have Christ, submitting to the need of baptism.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I am quite aware there is more than one way to interpret various emphases on this verse. Feel free to bring forward any thoughts you have.

Respectfully,

Mudcat

Edited by Mudcat

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

This is an age old debate and I've no doubt you could find many an older thread worth at least 500 posts, going in circles on it.

My thoughts which I dont want to elaborate on lest I get drawn into debate:

- Salvation is clearly of grace and getting wet can do nothing for your eternal security as that would make Jesus an insufficient Redeemer

- Baptism is symbolic, an outward testimony to a new birth and a new life

- Christians are commanded to be baptized just as we are commanded to partake of the Lord's supper, and I could not imagine why one would rebel against it. For a time they might hesitate or question, but outright rebel? That makes no sense.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/20/1968

Hi Mudcat,

I'm struggling with the same thing here. I don't believe that you MUST be baptist to be saved. You can only be saved by the grace of God and the Blood of Jesus Christ. Christ is the only way to the Father and if you accept Him as your Saviour, you are a child of God. I think baptism is something beween you and God. It is a personal dedication you make to God that you will follow in His steps and dedicate your life fully to Him. I prayed about this a lot and know the Holy Spirit will lead me to the decision whether I need to be baptist or not. If you have to be baptist to become a christian, then there would be a lot of ppl going to hell who came to the Lord just before they died. If you understand what I mean.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178

You're asking can a Christian refuse a request of Christ. I don't see how. Refuse is a strong word and it would imply to defy Christ.

It is clear that baptism is not needed for salvation Rom 10:9-10 Acts 16:30-31. But it does help the requirement to confess with your mouth.

JB

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

1. I know a wonderful Christian man who was so phobic about being in front of people he could not overcome enough to be baptized. He died without having done so, but He is with Jesus, just the same. While it was an admitted problem for him, it is not the unforgivable sin.

2. As long as one is a fellow believer in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter who does the actual baptism. I have baptized a woman who I took through a series of lessons in discipleship for new believers. It helps that the 'baptizer" is one to whom the "baptizee" has respect for, not to mention relationship.

3. We baptize in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, in the name of Jesus Christ.

Hi Mudcat,

I'm struggling with the same thing here. I don't believe that you MUST be baptist to be saved. You can only be saved by the grace of God and the Blood of Jesus Christ. Christ is the only way to the Father and if you accept Him as your Saviour, you are a child of God. I think baptism is something beween you and God. It is a personal dedication you make to God that you will follow in His steps and dedicate your life fully to Him. I prayed about this a lot and know the Holy Spirit will lead me to the decision whether I need to be baptist or not. If you have to be baptist to become a christian, then there would be a lot of ppl going to hell who came to the Lord just before they died. If you understand what I mean.

Hey Grace,

I agree with you... at least in part. Sure, Grace saves us. But if we thumb our nose at what seems to implied in Scripture, regarding baptism. Are we just closet Christians? and if we are, what is that worth anyways?

What do you think....

I suppose, I should have added dunking, pouring and sprinkling to the poll.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized be a Christian?

I'm more interested in knowing why a Christian would refuse to be baptised?

:thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/20/1968

Hey Grace,

I agree with you... at least in part. Sure, Grace saves us. But if we thumb our nose at what seems to implied in Scripture, regarding baptism. Are we just closet Christians? and if we are, what is that worth anyways?

What do you think....

I suppose, I should have added dunking, pouring and sprinkling to the poll.

No i don't think it's right to refuse what scripture says, that would make God's Word worthless. But like I said, your salvation does not depend on baptism, and I believe every christian must ask the Holy Spirit to lead them, for there is a lot of ppl who get baptist just for the sake of baptism and not for the real meaning of it. And personally I think that's also wrong, so rather leave it if not sure, and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you as to go into baptism just because, like in many instances, ppl say you must.

1. I know a wonderful Christian man who was so phobic about being in front of people he could not overcome enough to be baptized. He died without having done so, but He is with Jesus, just the same. While it was an admitted problem for him, it is not the unforgivable sin.

Certainly, I would make no judgment upon the fellow. I suppose 'phobia' is a thing that must be winked at. But should cowardice or embarrasment?

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

3. We baptize in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, in the name of Jesus Christ.

That is what I would call covering all your bases.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Certainly, I would make no judgment upon the fellow. I suppose 'phobia' is a thing that must be winked at. But should cowardice or embarrasment?

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

It wasn't winked at. He has his own will. We couldn't chain him and drag him. He was no coward or embarrassed. Obviously there was a stronghold there. Too bad he never overcame it.

That is what I would call covering all your bases.

Most definitely. We dislike critics.