• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Alright, I've been wondering about marriage, as some of you have noticed. Some of thoughts I've had were questions about what marriage truly is, biblically. In this world, marriage is a piece of paper, a ring, and a ceremony. Adam and Eve had no such thing.

And today I was reading in Genesis 24:27, which is about Isaac and his God-given partner, Rebekah: 'Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent; and he took Rebekah and she became his wife...' Along with this, I remember verses that say if you 'lay down' with a prostitute or woman or whatever the case, you must marry her. On top of that, there's of course the 'The man shall go to his wife and they will become one flesh'. So I guess my question is, what really is marriage? I want to say that it is caused when you 'lay down' with someone, but sex before marriage is frowned upon. But again, marriage seems to be more worldly than it does biblical now... is there anything in the Bible that points to how two become married? Anything about a wedding being the event, or sex, or etc. It's confusing business. I'd hate to put my faith in a worldly ceremony, if that's not what marriage is caused by.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Marriage is the union of a man and a woman. The physical part is but one aspect of a marriage.

It takes 2 to build 1 home

It takes 2 to make 1 child

It takes 2 to raise 1 child

It takes 2 to live 1 happy and productive life

I don't remember the verse, but G-d created Eve because He saw that Adam was alone and incomplete and as many a woman has pointed out....needed help :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

Alright, I've been wondering about marriage, as some of you have noticed. Some of thoughts I've had were questions about what marriage truly is, biblically. In this world, marriage is a piece of paper, a ring, and a ceremony. Adam and Eve had no such thing.

And today I was reading in Genesis 24:27, which is about Isaac and his God-given partner, Rebekah: 'Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent; and he took Rebekah and she became his wife...' Along with this, I remember verses that say if you 'lay down' with a prostitute or woman or whatever the case, you must marry her. On top of that, there's of course the 'The man shall go to his wife and they will become one flesh'. So I guess my question is, what really is marriage? I want to say that it is caused when you 'lay down' with someone, but sex before marriage is frowned upon. But again, marriage seems to be more worldly than it does biblical now... is there anything in the Bible that points to how two become married? Anything about a wedding being the event, or sex, or etc. It's confusing business. I'd hate to put my faith in a worldly ceremony, if that's not what marriage is caused by.

Teh ceramony if you live in the western world is a legal requirement to be classed as marrage...or you would be classed as just living together. Sorry you cannoot use the OT or Jewish customs from bygone days take the place of the law of your country :)

Teh ceramony if you live in the western world is a legal requirement to be classed as marrage...or you would be classed as just living together. Sorry you cannoot use the OT or Jewish customs from bygone days take the place of the law of your country :whistling:

Very good point. Thank you. :laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

The marriage exists when you decide you are married. As long as you and your spouse consider it to be so.

The piece of paper you need to be "legal" is with regard to the world and it's legal system. If you do not care to take advantage of the benefits of a worldly marriage, then the rest is between you and your GOD.

There is no requirement for a couple to get married in our society. Therefore, it is not a law that you must get married in order to say you are married. It is a law that you must do the legal in order for the legal to be.....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

The marriage exists when you decide you are married. As long as you and your spouse consider it to be so.

The piece of paper you need to be "legal" is with regard to the world and it's legal system. If you do not care to take advantage of the benefits of a worldly marriage, then the rest is between you and your GOD.

There is no requirement for a couple to get married in our society. Therefore, it is not a law that you must get married in order to say you are married. It is a law that you must do the legal in order for the legal to be.....

Christians are exhorted to do the right thing, and that means to marry according to the lawful practice of society. Christians who opt out of a proper legal marriage are harming their witness and in essence, living lawlessly, in rebellion. God will not bless something taken in selfishness.

Christians are exhorted to do the right thing, and that means to marry according to the lawful practice of society. Christians who opt out of a proper legal marriage are harming their witness and in essence, living lawlessly, in rebellion. God will not bless something taken in selfishness.

Yep yep, very good.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

*nods* I definitely agree there.

As I've said before in another topic, the marriage ceremony, papers, ring, and all that have as much meaning as you put into them. If you look at them with the attitude that they're JUST legal mumbo-jumbo and don't really have any meaning, well, then that's as much meaning as they'll have for you (that's not to say they won't have more meaning for other people, though! So don't think that that lets someone off the hook...see Floatingaxe's post) But if you look at them as an opportunity to honour God (and I think that's the right way for God's people to look at those things) then they will be more important to you, and the world will see that.

The ceremony especially can be very glorifying to God. When my husband and I planned our ceremony, we deliberately went about making it a ceremony which glorified God, and showing others (including a sizeable number of unsaved family members and friends) that He would be glorified in our relationship. I think that still makes for a powerful witness, because it's one that doesn't just stop at the event itself. We drew attention to God with the event, then continue (I hope) to show how wonderful a marriage can be when God is at the centre of it.

Of course, the marriage doesn't stop at the ceremony and papers...you need to look at the whole thing as an opportunity to bring glory to God! The world is watching us all the time...if they see that we don't consider marriage to be important, what kind of message does that send about God's people in general? Instead, we should show them that our marriages and our families can be beautiful, honourable, and loving! When the world sees Christian families like that, they'll see us as different and set apart, and they'll want to be in on that!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

IMO and from everything I've read in the bible - marriage is two becoming one. So two seperate people becoming a working unit. How well that unit works ultimatly will depend on their character and committment and how they treat each other. That's why God says in the NT for husbands to love their wives like they love their own bodies and lay down their lives for their wives like christ did for the church - and wives to 'submit' (honour, respect, support, love) their husbands. Continually. (Not sin, just the person and their role.)

If either abuse that standard then there's going to be trouble. Domination is abuse of leadership and rebellion and refusal to respect and support leadership will undermine it.

Unfortunatly this has too often been abused in the church with leaders taking scriptures out of context in an attempt (often successful) to dominate and use women.

The prov 31 woman is a classic example. The woman was the old testment equivelent of an entrepeneur - for her to have that sort of power, leadership and authority, her husband would have had to be incredibly supportive and releasing. But it's often been twisted to say women should just serve men. :sherlock: Talk about abuse of Gods word.

For a person to voluntarily submit and encourage and support anothers leadership is not necessarily always easy. But then neither is laying down your life for someone as human as you are. (As a man, you can't do it the way you want to do it either - you have to do it the way that will bless her the most.)

And underneath that - it all rests on treating others the way you would want to be treated. lol. So God doesn't really let us get away with anything.

To have abused and used anyone when you have to stand before God on judgment day is not something that he's just going to ignore.

Edited by yesult