• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/15/1935

Rom 8:1-18. & Gal. 3-4-5-6.

There is much teaching us to recognise & live in the blessing & saving grace Jesus won for us on the cross. :cool:

What place in our lives as Christians does Tradition have.? :emot-hug::emot-hug:

Individually how much tradition should we allow in our life. :b: :embarasse

If you believe you know better do you help others walk in that freedom.? :cool::shade:

Does Tradition stunt spiritual growth.? :o:shock:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Adhering to tradition over the Word does hamper one's growth in the things of God. It breeds religiosity, which Jesus disdained among the Jews. It becomes a burden, and bondage. Honour God by avoiding man's traditions and keep only to the Word, allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you. In Him we have such freedom!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Birthday:  02/15/1971

Such an awesome question! I am struggling to discern the difference between the traditions of the church, the wisdom of the elders, and a specific calling from God.

IMO, I do believe traditions can hinder spiritual growth when they become the "truth" a person or church lives by without thorough knowledge and understanding of its roots. God wants us to be guided by His wisdom in all things. Traditions blindly accepted nullify His wisdom and our spiritual growth through His wisdom. God gave us the Passover Feast to keep in our remembrance His deliverance-the deliverance is important, not the feast. Jesus gave us communion to keep in our remembrance our deliverance and salvation through Him. Both of these "traditions" have the aim of bringing us back to remembering all that our Savior has done for us-to bring our eyes and hearts back to Him as we wander around this world getting caught up in all kinds of things. Without this wisdom, the actions are hollow and bring no life to those who follow the tradition.

I hope this makes sense. Language can be such a barrier to understanding! I simply challenge people to understand the roots of a tradition-is it God ordained? And why has God established such if He did? He did say that His people die from lack of knowledge.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

If traditions are not centered on scripture or disconnected from scripture yes I think they can be a real problem, burden etc.

However if traditions flow from scripture then they are a strength and a comfort.

We should talk about some specific examples of what we mean by "traditions"?

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  177

it is also important not to go to overboard with condemning of traditions. i used to hang out with a group of christians who made ousting traditions more important than seeking God. it had negative effects in my life from even being around it.

i just said my life. ha.

neway. what i learned from all that was to pray God revel truth to you(which is the word, which is the light of the world made flesh)and not to concern yourself to much with "doctorine" or i go to such and such church or no i go to a non denomination church. its all traditions of man. show me one place it says the apostle paul went down to the pentecostal church or a baptist church or blah blah.. i looked and havent found it.

if The Book says it then it is gospel truth. however it is dangerous to misinterpret scripture. and common. we all do it. some more than others. any time someone is saying i think or i believe or i dont beleieve watch out. there may be some scripture in there but more than likely there will be traditions mixed in. our flesh says i want it this way. but what is The Spirit saying to us. to our hearts. thru The Word even?

you see if we have a set of written beliefs or w/e "doctorine" we can have "achievement" in life. but someone truly seeking, God wont let you stay contempt. thats not how we grow. you got to go thru the fire if you wanna be pure.

personally i just call myself a child of God. not a baptist, even though i have been dunked, not a penecostal even though i speak in unknown languages cuz elders laid hands on me and i got the Holy Ghost. John the baptist was called that cuz he went around dunkin folks. he was hard core with it. no playing around. repent ask the lord into you and dunk! next.

we really should seek God on whats righteous and not what a group of people say is sound doctorine. maybe it is sound. but still ask Him what he wants. if you dont you rob God of the glory he deserves in and thru you.

thats my "doctorine"

if the son has set you free than you are free indeed.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  177

scripture dont speak highly of mans traditions.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

That is a good point about "man's " traditions but I think the question was pointed at believers...

the traditions of men were ...

Mat 15:1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,

Mat 15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

Mat 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Mat 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

Mat 15:5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;

Mat 15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Mat 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

different traditions for believers....

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

2Th 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

2Th 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2Th 2:16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,

2Th 2:17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

This is a good question and I liked the answer from Butero