IGNORED

Song of Solomon - the Holiest book of the Bible?

Guest HIS girl

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I have a lot to say on this subject, but am presently busy with steaks. :emot-hug::laugh:

I'll be back here soon, though.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357
just because it is erotica doesn't make it any less inspired.

I feel uncomfortable with the use of the word "erotica" in regards to a Book from the Bible.

It doesn't sit right with me.

Yes, I can accept the Song of Solomon as being a guide to a marriage covenant, man/wife relationship with Christ at the heart of it and His full blessing over it but to use that word in the same context. It doesn't sound honoring to God to me.

Then ignore that one word. It is still a book honoring marital relations, and there is nothing wrong with that. God designed sex to be a beautiful, spiritual act. Because it has become defiled, it is sometimes thought of as being dirty, but it isn't. It's a holy union between a man and a woman.

I have other issues with the book since Solomon had so many wives. I just don't see how he was capable of loving a woman.

Solomon's many wives were political marriages, not love-based marriages. It was a custom of the surrounding nations which Solomon foolishly adopted. Kings would make peace with other Kings by marrying their daughters. These, typically, were not "real" marriages in the way we think of marriages. They were essentially married "on paper."

But the Shulamite was different, and was probably the only genuine marriage that Solomon had. She was not raised as a sophisticated princess, but she worked in a vineyard and her skin had been darkened by all of the time she spent in the sun working in that vineyard.

That would explain the imagery used by Solomon to describe her. While most women in our day would not be particularly flattered by the imagery he uses, back in ancient times, a flock of sheep running down the side of a hill would have been beautiful to see. He calls her a tower on top of a hill. It has the picture of nobility, and dignity. Such descriptions would have been very flattering back in the day. She is very rustic, and so he chooses rustic imagery, which would flatter and please her.

Guest shiloh357
I have been reading a book by Derek Prince and in it he said he discovered that some Rabbis consider the book - Song of Solomon - to be in some ways the Holiest book in the Bible.

I am in the process of reading another book about the Song of Songs(notes from Watchman Nee) and he says even though Solomon composed a thousand and five songs, this one is by far the most excellent because it is called "The Song of Songs", meaning the best, like The Holy of Holies and the King of Kings, Lord of Lords. The ultimate.

Also the book I am reading of the Song of Songs, the author suggests it's a representation of how WE as individual Followers are to have a passionate, love relationship with Christ. Not so much as the Church and Christ.

Any thoughts?

The Hebrew name for it is "Song of Songs" and in the Hebrew construction it means "the most excellent of all songs."

I don't know if the Rabbis consider it more holy than the Torah, though. I have never heard or read that.

It is used by orthodox Jewish people as part of "Kabbalt Shabbat" or "receiving the Sabbath." Before the Sabbath, the men are in their late afternoon prayers and they recite the Song of Solomon.

A famous Jewish chorus based on the Song of Solomon is Lekhah Dodi, or "come my beloved." It is based on Song of So. 7:12.

One of my favorte verses from the Song of Solomon is "ani dodi v'dodi li" (I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine.") It is a great picture of our relationship with Christ. We are his and He is ours.

If I ever get married, I want that verse tastefully inscribed on the wedding rings. One ring will have "ani dodi" the other will have "v'dodi li."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I have other issues with the book since Solomon had so many wives. I just don't see how he was capable of loving a woman.

He did take wives from other nations who worshipped carved idols and he obviously allowed that to happen. So that was a problem.

Also I remember hearing ages ago about NOT buying/owning horses from Egypt. He had plenty. So Solomon was doing a few things wrong.....?

Has anyone heard that one?

Deu 17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;

15 Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.

16 But
he shall not multiply horses to himself
, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.

Neither shall he multiply wives to himself
, that his heart turn not away:
neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold

Solomon seems to have blown it on all three counts.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I've been reading this thread with interest. Chose not to say anything at first cause it's not really something I studied much. So, like this isn't really studious commentary or anything. But...

As far as Rabbis saying...anything...it's like saying that preachers teach whatever it is. Judaism is not homogeneous any more than Christianity is theologically. Some branches and sects are more mystical than others, for example. I personally would believe that if any do teach this, it would come from a mystical belief system more than a standard one. Though I could be wrong.

I do not believe this book is the holiest of all the books, because, as was said, it places it above the rest, some of which, like Romans and Galatians explain the gospel past the baby stage and some of which, like Leviticus and Deut, explain the law. I cant imagine that this book would be more important or sacred than those.

I believe it is first a foremost a book about the sensual side of wedded love. I haven't studied it because when I was married my husband was not into bible study (I married him when I was backslidden and well, you reap what you sow) and I didn't want to study it by myself. And when I was single and a virgin, the leader of the Hebrew Christian Fellowship that I attended told me that he'd let me borrow the teaching tapes once I got engaged. I still respect his judgement on many issues and thus believe that now that I am divorced, I should leave it alone. However, I have heard some other teachers that I respect do short sermons on it and it leads me to believe the imagery is very, um, very sexual.

I do get where people that like to spiritualise it into a book about Christ and the Church though. Part of that comes from the Puritan legacy where people's knees were erotically charged. Part of that comes from the Catholic legacy where the scriptures always have a spiritual interpretation, even when it is about something mundane like a list of names. But part of it is based in the true knowledge that earthly marriage is typological. It represents the relationship between Christ and the Church. I'm not gonna say how far you should take that in relationship to the book in question because...I really haven't studied it.

As far as the use of the term erotica. Just because the world uses a term in a bad context does not make it a bad term. It's the definition that is important.

(Meriam Webster)

erotica

One entry found.

Main Entry: erot

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Solomon may have fallen greatly...at the last he may have repented...I don't think there is any indication either way (chronicles only mentions his better side), but it must be remembered that his wisdom was given to him by G-d.

1 Kings 4:29 Now God gave Solomon wisdom and very great discernment and breadth of mind, like the sand that is on the seashore.

To some extent his wisdom remained with him, because it was not manufactured by himself but through the spirit of G-d. That he chose not to walk in it was his problem

Romans 11:29.for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

It may be a question of listen to what he says (through the gift of G-d) but do not imitate his ways, and the word of G-d pulls no punches in describing and recording his weakness.

Something of interest to note about the heart of Solomon, is that he spent 7 years constructing the Temple, but 13 years building his own palace...now I know there might have been less people working on it etc, but the impression of his grand style is in evidence, and he does not seem shy in living the lavish life-style.

Guest HIS girl
A famous Jewish chorus based on the Song of Solomon is Lekhah Dodi, or "come my beloved." It is based on Song of So. 7:12.

One of my favorte verses from the Song of Solomon is "ani dodi v'dodi li" (I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine.") It is a great picture of our relationship with Christ. We are his and He is ours.

If I ever get married, I want that verse tastefully inscribed on the wedding rings. One ring will have "ani dodi" the other will have "v'dodi li."

"And his banner over me is love." !!

One thing for sure, the Song of Songs is a beautiful/honest account of love, it's definitely right to be in the Bible. It shows us what we can have.

That's an awesome idea for the wedding rings. :whistling:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I have been reading a book by Derek Prince and in it he said he discovered that some Rabbi's consider the book - Song of Solomon - to be in some ways the Holiest book in the Bible.

I am in the process of reading another book about the Song of Songs(notes from Watchman Nee) and even though Solomon composed a thousand and five songs, this one is by far the most excellent because it is called "The Song of Songs", meaning the best, like The Holy of Holies and the King of Kings, Lord of Lords. The ultimate.

Also the book I am reading of the Song of Songs, the author suggests it's a representation of how we as individual Followers are to have a passionate, love relationship with Christ. Not so much as the Church and Christ.

Any thoughts?

SOS is a piece of highly charged Hebrew erotica, primarily written to celebrate the joy of sex between a (married) man and woman. You can read it as a metaphor for the relationship between Jesus and His followers if you want to, but keep in mind that it was written at least 900 years before Jesus was born and was considered so provocative that Jewish men were prohibited from reading it before the age of thirty. That means that Solomon's primary intent was not to describe the relationship between Jesus and the individual or Jesus and the church. To insist on that as the primary interpretation is dishonest and abusive of the text.

I disagree in the strongest terms. To throw the Song of Solomon out as just Hebrew erotica is a bizarre opinion. Shall we just cut it from the bible and toss it out? For if it is only what you say it is, certainly no home should allow it to remain, for it's just a erotic magazine of words instead of pictures.

By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not.

Song 3:1 (KJV)

This is either a massive bed (so big you can seek someone and not find them?) or she is seeking intimacy with the Lord, think about it.

Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:

Isaiah 5:1 (KJV)

Now Isaiah is at it! Shall we toss out this book as well?

Why don't you try researching it rather than lashing out in ignorance? Everything I said is well-documented. What's more bizarre, reading the book as Solomon intended for it to be read or suspending disbelief in order to make the book conform to wishful thinking. By the way, just because it is erotica doesn't make it any less inspired. Is it possible God added it to the canon to let us know that sex between a man and a wife is something to be celebrated and enjoyed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Solomon

The Song of Songs is thought by some to be an allegorical representation of the relationship of God and Israel as husband and wife.

According to Jewish tradition in the Midrash and the Targum, the book is an allegory of God's love for the Children of Israel. In keeping with this understanding, it is read by Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews on Sabbath eve, to symbolize the love between the Jewish People and God that is also represented by Sabbath. Most traditional Jews also read the Song on the Sabbath of Chol HaMoed of Passover, or on the seventh day of the holiday, when the Song of the sea is also read.

I also said...

There are some that advocate dismissing or ignoring certain books because they believe that they understand the motive of the author, and therefore the book is not to be taken as an allegory, or because Solomon fell into sin, God couldn't have used him to write anything of value.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

I think every book of the Bible has to be read with it's spiritual intent at the root of the study.

I believe that the book is both of the points made.

I find it hard to imagine that Rabbis demonized sex so much that they would sugest a person needed to be 30 before they could read this book. Every Pastor I know uses this in pre-marriage counceling as a guide to what the marriage relationship is supposed to be. Many even have prospective husbands and wives read the promises and statements to each other as if the words are their own.

Equally, it is one of the most passionate portrayals of the relationship between GOD and HIS people. (Thus, perhaps, earning the title of the Holiest Book of the Bible)

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I find it beautiful how the Lord nestles messages within messages in His word. This is a wonderful example.

If you go back to the book of Job, you see how it is dealing with the spiritual struggle between Job and God. Certainly, he is crying out in his spirit to God. Why God, how God? We watch him struggle as he searches for answers. Then we see the emotions of the heart in the Psalms. Who better than David to show the explosion of anger, love, hate and despair? He expresses all the emotions in his arsenal. We see the mind at work in Proverbs, and the will in Ecclesiastes. Of course, a man is not complete in that state, for a man also has an earthly body, and passions of the flesh. In the Song, Solomon beautifully tells us how the whole being is involved in the fire and passion of your first love. It involves total dedication of body, mind and soul, which you happily and freely give.

In God's word, He leaves us instructions and examples of how to live. But, it is also the telling of a story, of refining the people that would bring forth the Messiah. In my opinion, these five books tell us what makes a man a man. Of course, nestled within this particular book is the love story itself. It speaks of a passionate love that has humanistic qualities. It is also showing us how a covenantal love is binding, lasting, and how it should be cherished and protected. I think this is both an example of a spiritual love of God, and the beauty of an earthly relationship.

Remember how in Zechariah and Malachi the Lord says, "I have always loved you," and to return to the love of your youth? In the book of Song, He is giving us an example of how that love is an all consuming love - and how it requires dedication and nuturing. Both an earthly marriage, and a spiritual one, requires nurturing and attention, else it will wither.

I am also in the camp that believes it is an actual telling of Solomon's first love.

Stories within stories, within stories, within stories.

Debates have been ongoing over this book for centuries. However, I have never read, nor ever heard anyone say it is less than superb. That's my 2 cents worth - and in today's economy that's not much.