antiaging

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The Textus Receptus is the text that has been used for 2,000 years by Christians. This is also the text that agrees with more than 95% of the Bible Manuscripts in Koine (common) Greek. It is known by other names, such as the Traditional Text, Majority Text, Byzantine Text, or Syrian Text.

In his essay Texual Criticism, Dr. Thomas Cassidy writes: "The Traditional text of the New Testament has existed from the time of Christ right down to the present. It has had many different names down through the years, such as Byzantine Text, Eastern Text, Received Text, Textus Receptus, Majority Text, and others. Although no complete Bible manuscripts have survived which would allow us to date the Traditional text to the first century, there is a strong witness to the early existence and use of the Traditional text by the early church in its lectionaries."

A few facts showing the respected historical position of the Textus Receptus are in order. Its prominence and respect did not begin in 1611 with the KJV translators. They merely recognized (as others before them had), that the Textus Receptus was God's preserved word in the original New Testament language.

Consider the following:

Prior to the 20th century, all English Bibles since Tyndale's first New Testament (1526) were based on the Textus Receptus. This includes: Miles Coverdale's Bible (1535), Matthew's Bible (1500-1555), The Great Bible (1539), The Geneva Version (1560), The Bishops' Bible (1568), and the King James Version (1611). [sTORY OF OUR ENGLISH BIBLE, by W. Scott]

Ancient Versions followed the reading of the Textus Receptus. These versions include: The Peshitta Version (AD 150), The Italic Bible (AD 157), The Waldensian (AD 120 & onwards), The Gallic Bible (Southern France) (AD177), The Gothic Bible (AD 330-350), The Old Syriac Bible (AD 400), The Armenian Bible (AD 400 There are 1244 copies of this version still in existence.), The Palestinian Syriac (AD 450), The French Bible of Oliveton (AD 1535), The Czech Bible (AD 1602), The Italian Bible of Diodati (AD 1606), The Greek Orthodox Bible (Used from Apostolic times to the present day by the Greek Orthodox Church). [bible Versions, D.B. Loughran

http://www.1611kingjamesbible.com/textus_receptus.html/

The King James Version old testament is translated from the massoretic text of the Jews.

The Dead Sea srolls - Isaiah scroll is massoretec text, showing that this is the text of the old testament used by Jesus and the apostles in palestine.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hi Antiaging, Interesting information...Personally I go over all these things regularly as I try to get a better handle on the way the Bible has been translated down the ages, the resources that have been available to do this with, the time-scale and the type of people involved...it is truly remarkable.

I would just pick you up on one small comment at the end of your post where you say.

The King James Version old testament is translated from the massoretic text of the Jews.

The Dead Sea srolls - Isaiah scroll is massoretec text, showing that this is the text of the old testament used by Jesus and the apostles in palestine.

There was no such place as Palestine at that time...it was Israel. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Given the fact that the KJV is an English translation, wouldn't it be reasonable to want to translated the Bible for the modern English today? The majority of English speaking persons in the world no longer speak "The King's English." Therefore, no modern translation which keeps to the most accurate translation, and the highest standard of accuracy in translation, could be no less the Word of God than the King James.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Given the fact that the KJV is an English translation, wouldn't it be reasonable to want to translated the Bible for the modern English today? The majority of English speaking persons in the world no longer speak "The King's English." Therefore, no modern translation which keeps to the most accurate translation, and the highest standard of accuracy in translation, could be no less the Word of God than the King James.

Loveth ye not the prose thereof? Yea, for whosoever loveth not the words as written mayeth seek divers scolls; but remember thou this;there is none like unto the same. Putteth away that which doth cause you pause and embrace thy book; yea, even unto the eating thereof, for it shall be honey to thy mouth and nourishment to thy very soul. Be not sore afraid of the unknown tongue for the song will be heard in thy heart.

:emot-heartbeat:

Guest shiloh357

"Where is thy place? By Him that made me, I wot never where thou dwellest, nor know I thee, knight, thy court, nor thy name. But teach me truly all that pertaineth thereto, and tell me thy name, and I shall use all my wit to win my way thither, and that I swear thee for sooth, and by my sure troth."

"Where is thy place? By Him that made me, I wot never where thou dwellest, nor know I thee, knight, thy court, nor thy name. But teach me truly all that pertaineth thereto, and tell me thy name, and I shall use all my wit to win my way thither, and that I swear thee for sooth, and by my sure troth."

It will suffice in the new year, if I tell thee truly when I have received the blow at thy hand. Then it is that I will quickly tell thee of my house, my home, and my name. Then mayest thou ask my faring, and hold the covenant, and if I say nothing at all, then will it speed thee better, for thou mayest linger in thy land and seek to fare no farther in search of such a sight.

Guest shiloh357

Look in thy glass, and tell the face thou viewest, now is the time that face should form another; Whose fresh repair if now thou not renewest, Thou dost beguile the world, unbless some mother. For where is she so fair whose unear'd womb

disdains the tillage of thy husbandry? Or who is he so fond will be the tomb of his self-love, to stop posterity?

Thou art thy mother's glass, and she in thee calls back the lovely April of her prime: So thou through windows of thine age shall see Despite of wrinkles this thy golden time. But if thou live, remember'd not to be, die single, and thine image dies with thee.

Sorry - Shiloh and I got a bit carried away with the old prose. :emot-heartbeat:

Carry on..... :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/21/1973

Loveth ye not the prose thereof? Yea, for whosoever loveth not the words as written mayeth seek divers scolls; but remember thou this;there is none like unto the same. Putteth away that which doth cause you pause and embrace thy book; yea, even unto the eating thereof, for it shall be honey to thy mouth and nourishment to thy very soul. Be not sore afraid of the unknown tongue for the song will be heard in thy heart.

:emot-heartbeat:

Actually I love the King James Bible and you're very right about the Song being heard in the heart, Ovedya... it's the Spirit that give light. :emot-heartbeat: