• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

We have a misconception outside of the Word of God about what is Good because we are inherently bad. Therefor we must keeps Gods Word before our eyes and in our hearts which will translate to a renewed mind.

You got the point I was trying to make. :shower:

We might even search the Scriptures and miss the mark because we haven't seen the Living Word right before our eyes. He is Goodness and Life. :)

Good point

Not that we must come to Him. We can't begin to fathom Goodness until we come to Him and sometimes I think like the Pharisee that we try to mold Him into our imagination of Goodness because His is way to scary. :blink:

Yup

Jesus isn't a Tame Lion He might tear you to pieces but He is Good.

Ah - so how do you understand His goodness when "He might tear you to pieces"?

Edited by nebula

OK, so let me see what we have so far.

Being fair in His judgements.

He shows favoritism to no one.

2Ch 16:9 For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of [them] whose heart [is] perfect toward him.

Now how special is that? The scripture doesn't say to show Himself strong in that particular person, or those living over there - but to those "whose heart is perfect toward Him." In other words, for the true worshipper of Christ. For the weak, He is strong. I think to champion for the weak is an example of goodness.

Thessalonians 1:11 Paul talks about the goodness of God. It is God

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

how has your understanding of goodness been changed by reading the Scripture?

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Without God, it was all for myself.

God gave Himself...for all.

That Scripture alone is what changed my understanding of goodness.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

We have a misconception outside of the Word of God about what is Good because we are inherently bad. Therefor we must keeps Gods Word before our eyes and in our hearts which will translate to a renewed mind.

You got the point I was trying to make. :emot-pray:

We might even search the Scriptures and miss the mark because we haven't seen the Living Word right before our eyes. He is Goodness and Life. :emot-heartbeat:

Good point

Not that we must come to Him. We can't begin to fathom Goodness until we come to Him and sometimes I think like the Pharisee that we try to mold Him into our imagination of Goodness because His is way to scary. :thumbsup:

Yup

Jesus isn't a Tame Lion He might tear you to pieces but He is Good.

Ah - so how do you understand His goodness when "He might tear you to pieces"?

Grace to you,

Neb,

The tearing you to pieces part is the Fear of the Lord. He is Good simply because He should Tear you to pieces but He doesn't. Still like the little Children in a certain book by C.S. Lewis we fear to touch His Mane. Meanwhile it takes a little child like Lucy to walk right up to this wild and fearsome Lion and merely love on Him.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/20/1938

Great topic, Nebula! God's already challenged me on this very subject. Here's a short summary from my life:

If you want a strong concept of God's goodness in the Scriptures then go look for these words: rigteousness and holiness.

.:: God is totally righteous, i.e., He ALWAYS does right.

.:: God is totally holy - similar.

We then, seeing this astonishing holiness and righteousness of God begin to realise we are, well, exactly the opposite! Hence our desperate need of salvation via the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Having received that salvation, and with it the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God, we can begin our life's journey TOWARDS BECOMING MORE AND MORE LIKE HIM!! That is to say: the Lord wants for us to GROW in righteousness (right living, according to His commands) and holiness (aspiring unto perfection like unto His) and godliness (being like God).

This is a journey that takes much time, and requires total seriousness on our part, and full committment of our lives to Him - else it will never happen.

It then remains to ask: "Can I actually become righteous in this life? Can I become holy?" The answer is YES! One of God's MANY commands to us in the New Testament is: 1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

15 But as he who hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of life;

If His COMMAND to us is to be holy - and clearly it IS - then it's gotta be possible for us to make progress towards that: in fact this simply has to be our goal! And the joy of beginning to see that you actually have gained some personal righteousness in your life, I can say is worth all the tea in China, and then some!!

Praise be to His HOLY Name!

- BM

Edited by Bondman

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I don't have the address, but I remember a passage (probably several) in Psalms which says that the Lord shows His goodness in the preservation of Israel!

..... I'd like to see postings of Scriptures that show what God's goodness is.....

:cool:

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matthew 5:43-48

:)

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

:emot-heartbeat:

Thank-you for answering, all!

But I need to dig deeper on this.

It's easy to read the words love, mercy, forgiveness and the like and associate these with the goodness of God.

But what about when we read: "visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children's children to the third and the fourth generation." (Ex. 34:7; Numb. 14:18)

or "He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matt. 5:45.)

How can these be an expression of God's goodness? And then how can we learn to apply it to our own lives?