IGNORED

Can a Christian be depressed?

Guest glorycloud2002

Guest glorycloud2002

Do you think Christians get depressed like non-Christians?

Or do you think it's often because of focusing about your self to much and your circumstances.

Let me know what you think, thank you, Angels

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi angels,

I think that as christians we let our circumstances out way our faith and that causes a form of depression. I know in my life that Jesus said not to worry about anything and I try to do that. For the most part I can let go and let God but, sometime I try and help God with my problems and that always leads to disaster.

RW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

Christians can get depressed. It is caused by getting out of step with your relationship with God. The first case of clinical depression in the Bible was Cain. Cain's offering was rejected by God. Instead of getting busy and fixing the problem,his countenance fell, or he got depressed. You know what happened next. This is a good lesson on how you need to give the Lord your problems and let Him handle the burden.

(Edited by boblandis at 11:48 pm on Jan. 12, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glorycloud2002

I think christians can get depression just like they get a bladder infection. They both require medicene, physician care and time. Prayer can help also!

(Edited by glorycloud2002 at 11:20 pm on Jan. 21, 2002)

Angels, you are right on both accounts. Sometimes depression is a result of foucising on our circumstances too much and not on God's outcome for our lives, but depression is often much deeper.

Clinical Depression is a MEDICAL condition. There is no mention of Clinical Depression in the Bible, because it wasn't until the last decade or so that it was discovered. Clinical Depression is causes by a chemical imbalance in the brain, usually of one of the neurotransmitters Seritonin or Dopamine. The easiest way I can describe it is to think of these chemicals as little ferry boats that send messages of emotion from one nerve to another. If there is a lack of these chemicals, the messages can't get through, and one effect can be depression.

My best advice for anyone suffering depression is to take a look at things. A true "depression" is a blue feeling every day for at least 2 weeks that also include such things as loss/increase in appetite, loss of sleep, difficulty in sleeping, loss of intrest in activities, ect...

In a case of true Clinical Depression, medication is needed, but I also advise seeking a Liscensed Christian Therapist. Many times these chemicals can be depleated because of severe stress. In my case, I had depression for 10 years (starting in childhood) before I began treatment. I was severely abused as a young child. My couse of therapy has included medication...not to give me a false sence of happiness, but to restore me physically to a state where I can discuss things without going off the deep end. It has also included intense psychological counseling with a Christian counselor. I am wary of many counselors who do not bring God into the session, it won't work without Him.

Think of depression as a SYMPTOM not a PROBLEM. If you fell and had intense pain in your arm, you wouldn't think the pain is the problem. You would think of that as a symptom and go to the doctor to see if something is broken. If someone is depressed, they need to see that as a symptom that something may be "broken" in their life. Look deeper to find out what is causing the depression. Is it that you are out of alignment with God's will, have you experienced a loss recently, or is it maybe a sign that there is something deeper that needs dealt with? Never be afraid to seek help, and never give up. I can honestly say that working through things like trauma are not easy or fun, but in the end it is worth it. There is a freedom worth fighting for.

Emme

Absolutely! I think any one can be depressed or have some sort of an anxiety problem. I wanted to have complete control of my life as a small child. I would fight GOD about my destinations and not wanting him to be in control of me. I became depressed and sadden about my life. When I gave Jesus my life and said to him "Iam not in control, I give my soul to you", Things started looking better for me.

I still fall off the wagon from time to time and become depressed, but all in all my life is better for following Jesus.  Thank you Jesus! Praise God!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Of COURSE, Christians get depressed.  With all the pressures to be the "best Christian" and "best person" you can be--how can you NOT get depressed?  GEESH--give me a break-enough already!  there's only so much we can handle...of course, God will never give us more than we CAN handle--maybe he changes our moods so we won't forget Him-whaddya think?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Thank you for all the responds,

For myself I think that Christians can get depressed and that we do not always have things in controle, the Lord will allow us times in the wilderness, look at some great people God used in the Bible, they were depressed.

I believe what Emme said it can be because ofour serotine level of other medical reasons.

The Lord will be with us even in the dept of our despair!!

And He can bring us out of it too.

He is a great God!!

Some days we are up and other days we can be down...if we stay close to God we can often get over it faster!!!

Jesus is His name, Angels

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

i spent 3 years in a private christian school run by a wesleyin holiness church doctrine...never have i met another group of people so depressed..

so much guilt and struggle and confusion about "sanctification" and loseing ones salvation. ..the woman never allowed to cut hair or make-up or pants or jewlery, so many rules, so much fear......i think the depressions root cause is the sub conciece awareness of the fundamental conflicts between the idea that god IS love, yet 2/3 s of His creation in never ending agony suffering in the flames of ####....How can i ever be happy in heaven knowing so many billions are in eternal suffering inside ####..the awareness of it would prevent my comfort in my understanding of Gods Perfect Love