• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/24/1968

The movie...

I have spent some time recently with family and 2 of my nieces have been reading a book called Twilight and one has seen the recent movie 3 times...they are quite "into" it - (they are not Christians). Apparently it is THE book/movie at the moment with teenagers and 20 something..

It's about vampires and has a lovestory woven through it. Now one of my boys wants to read it - but I let him know clearly, I would rather he not.

Has anyone here read the book or seen the movie?

OK, this will probably turn into a big controversy, like the Harry Potter stuff, but.....

My daughter (23) is very into the Twilight stories and has seen the movie a few times. Definitely chick flicks! I read the books and except for the last one, they are very tame. The vampires use animals as food instead of people. The couple gets married in the last one so there are references to ... 'the marriage act..." :)

I am one of those who have no problem with these stories. Just as I enjoy the Harry Potter stories. I find the imaginary worlds entertaining. As my sister, a pastor's wife and writer herself put it. "They create a fantastic world and then put people with everyday problems into them. "

You now proceed to throw your stones...... :24:

Kudos!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

Trust your gut. Maybe your kid will see it at some point. But, if you stand your ground he will never be able to point at something and say, "You did this or watched that". Plus, maybe the HOLY SPIRIT is telling you specifically that your child should not see it because of something the HOLY SPIRIT sees in the way it will effect him.

Do what you do better than anyone, be his MOM.

I was going to go watch it this wekend, but I forgot. I like vampire movies. In the older ones, the power of the cross nad the light and the holy water all reflected back to the power of JESUS over demons. Some great lessons there.

Guest HIS girl

Well I try to do my best with the boys..considering all the stuff they are faced with today that wasn't around when I was their age...like the stupid xbox...... :)

Well I try to do my best with the boys..considering all the stuff they are faced with today that wasn't around when I was their age...like the stupid xbox...... :emot-highfive:

Amen!

Praying!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

we have grown tooooo insensitive to things in this world. and it is getting worse....

like in the movie Time Changer, the church group goes to a movie and during the movie one of the main characters comes running out yelling for them to stop the movie, stop the movie, they have blasphemied the Lords Name....

everyone looks at him like he is an idiot..... later when the church group is at a gathering a couple make fun of him, and then tell him that it is not as bad as some movies... he says that maybe they do not need to go to any then if that is the way they are.....

with movies, as well as TV, we have grown insensitive to the material that is on them.... the same goes with the way we all dress..... no longer are we worried about being told we can not dress a certain way, and then it gets more revealing, or obscene..... the language is the same way... the Smoothers Brothers were taken off the air for something we hear every day in our TV and movie world today, and do not thing a thing about it, compared to what is in PG movies today, they would be rated about a G..........

demonic activity in movies and TV has also done the same thing, that is why the majority of the Christians today do not actually believe in a litteral hell, and many are into things that will send them to the Literal hell and they do not even think about it, they may or may not actually admit that they do not believe in the lake of fire, or they might even come up with a loving God would not send good people to hell, and things like this..... I am sure that every one here has heard the same things....... have even heard Christians say that the ouji board is not a problem, it is just a game..... heard others say that even thou a person that does not believe in Christ, if they are a good person they will not haveto worry about hell....

I am not saying these movies are bad, but I do know this....... satan has substituted entertainment for joy, a false joy, and when we get done with the movie, we feel good for a while and then we are empty again, and we need to go get another fix of entertainment...... every once in a while we shut every thing off, and just listen to the noise that comes out of the silence in the house... and you know..... it is very peaceful (other then the rining in my ears from when i was in the military) it is great..

like the song says, becarful of what our ears hear..... becareful of what our eyes see.... becareful of what our hands do and where our feet go.....

be careful little eyes what you see,

be careful little eyes what you see,

there's a Father up above, looking down in love,

be careful little eyes what you see...

or is this just for children?

again, i am not against movies, but we are very picky about the movies..... if the title is not appealing, as far as the appearance of it, we do not go.... if the previews are such that are not edifying, we do not go, if the rating is wrong, we look to see why (the Passion of The Christ was R) depending on what it is we do not go.....

very much like we do when we go shopping for food, we read labels on our food for sodium, fats and sugars, as well as other ingredients and additives..... why sould we not read movie labels, those will affect our minds even more then the food does.

mike

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You're right, Joe.

I will add that we as Americans, and even as Christians, are obsessed with entertainment and place it as too high of a priority.

"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." Right?

We need to re-prioritize are lives.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Thanks Neb!

Sometimes I wonder if I should just go with my gut instinct.....

Maybe as a society we are getting desensitized because of the shows like Buffy and the rest of the supernatural themed tv shows that have aired over the last decade...

Maybe I'm old school AND overprotective Mum...

No way Jose!!! It was because of that stupid supernatural culture that I was tempted and actually visited a psychic and if anyone read my testimony they would see the pain and suffering I went through for 2 years. The first couple of months of suffering was especially difficult because I was taken hold of by demons and was tortured day and night. I lost everything friends, my job, my possessions, even my family it was terrible.

I think you are doing the right thing by protecting them from this junk. Dont let them be tempted by curiosity for the occult.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I was just on the site that neb provided reading the review to see what other Christians were saying and someone left this comment...

I saw this movie naively, and whilst I enjoyed the storyline, I didn't feel good after watching it. I realized that it didn't sit right with me that evil (Vampires) are portrayed as good in this movie. We wouldn't support the notion of vampires in general, so why see a movie about them, especially one that makes them out to be good? This is just deception