• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Just curious, Axx; why was your dad in Russia? Was he a diplomat? :foot-stomp:

No. In the early 70's my dad helped smuggle bibles, and other Christian literature, into Russia with some friends. He did the same in East Germany and parts of Asia during that time. We were missionaries in Germany at the time (I grew up in Germany.)

I recall very vividly that during one of his trips to Russia we got word back that part of my Dads group had been arrested...we had to wait several days to find out if my dad was among those arrested. I was probably 8-9 at the time...it was scary. He came home safely.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

11. Student participation in before- or after-school events, such as

"see you at the pole," is permissible. School officials, acting in

an official capacity, may neither discourage nor encourage

participation in such an event.

This is also quoted on the SYATP website.

What religious rights do teachers in the classroom have?

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.07
  • Days Won:  78

Also, children are allowed to pray at school...on their own time (even with friends) as long as no one finds them disruptive or offensive.

I see a problem here. What happens when someone finds them "offensive"? There are people who get all up in arms about religious expression being displayed.

I say let them; force the issue. I will do what is within my Constitutional rights regardless of who is offended and I suggest that all Christians do the same. What are the atheists and wiccans going to do? Call the law? Lotsa luck with that. Sue someone for praying? Yawn. Jump up in your face....I say bring it on. A little courage is all that's required. For a little kid, it might be intimidating, but that's why parent's should be there.

yes they are, when else would that many kids be allowed out of class?

Based on the "Joint Statement of Current Law" that is Distributed to every school in the country the law is:

11. Student participation in before- or after-school events, such as

"see you at the pole," is permissible. School officials, acting in

an official capacity, may neither discourage nor encourage

participation in such an event.

This is also quoted on the SYATP website.

Is this a bad thing? Should we not strive to be non-disruptive and to not cause offense?

Is it the mission of a Christian to be disruptive or cause offensive?

The "mission" of Christianity is NOT disruptive or offensive...the very nature of Christianity is offensive and disruptive to the world. Jesus was tremendously disruptive and offensive...to the point that they wanted to kill him. If we live and promote a Christian lifestyle it will be considered disruptive and will cause offense regardless if that is our intention or not.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't be quiet or worry about offending. If we're good at it, we might 'offend' someone right into the Kingdom.... :horse:

Just curious, Axx; why was your dad in Russia? Was he a diplomat? :horse:

No. In the early 70's my dad helped smuggle bibles, and other Christian literature, into Russia with some friends. He did the same in East Germany and parts of Asia during that time. We were missionaries in Germany at the time (I grew up in Germany.)

I recall very vividly that during one of his trips to Russia we got word back that part of my Dads group had been arrested...we had to wait several days to find out if my dad was among those arrested. I was probably 8-9 at the time...it was scary. He came home safely.

Your dad is a brave man....that was a very dangerous thing to do at that time. It might still be. I lived in Germany (Pirmasens) when I was a kid too. Only my dad was in the military. I loved it there, except the television! :dance:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

When the Bible tells us to be Christlike, being offensive has never came to my mind.

Isaiah 8

13 The Lord of hosts, Him you shall hallow; Let Him be your fear, And let Him be your dread.

14 He will be as a sanctuary, But a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense To both the houses of Israel, As a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

15 And many among them shall stumble; They shall fall and be broken, Be snared and taken."

The "mission" of Christianity is NOT disruptive or offensive...the very nature of Christianity is offensive and disruptive to the world. Jesus was tremendously disruptive and offensive...to the point that they wanted to kill him. If we live and promote a Christian lifestyle it will be considered disruptive and will cause offense regardless if that is our intention or not.

Yes, Jesus was disruptive and offensive, but not to those he was trying to save, but to those that had said no to him.

Do you think this is the way to bring people to Christ, to be offensive?

When the Bible tells us to be Christlike, being offensive has never came to my mind.

Just by praying within their sight you are offensive to some people. Just by putting up a Christmas tree or singing carols you are offensive. I don't know about you but I don't really care who I offend by doing those things. I will not be intimidated by the Christian hating minority.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

One quick thing I would like to add is this. We need to remember that there are many tares among the wheat. Out of the 3/4 of the nation professing to be Christian, how many of those are false converts, or wolves in sheeps clothing so to speak?

When I think about that, it makes it easier to believe that we are a minority.

I agree to a point. Allow me to add that there are those who are brothers and sisters that say nothing and do nothing, believing that Jesus will do everything, so sit back and watch. They are not bad people at all, but have been led to let go and let God for everything. Letting go and letting God does not mean to do nothing, but allowing Him to lead in what should be done.

I agree

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Running Gator

And how many schools, bridges, stores and homes have been targeted for vandalism or arson this week? Are all those people being persecuted also?

We need to be careful when we call something persecution or we will end up like the boy who called wolf when it starts to happen in earnest.

I think it becomes persecution when acts of violence are done specifically because your Christian.