• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Someone asked me the other day why dinosaurs are not mentioned in the bible. I have a theory that I need for you guys to give me your opinions . Genesis 1:1 says"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Then Genesis 1:2 says" Now the earth was formless and empty..." . Is it possible that the dinosaurs existed for millions of years in Genisis 1:1 and then were destroyed before Genesis 1:2 and Genesis 1:2 started about 6000 years ago? Shiloh62

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

There are alot of people who don't believe dinosaurs actually exsited. They think the evidence is all trickery and deciet.

There are others who believe they did at one time. They think the evidence is too great to ignore.

I believe they did, but at what time in history I'm not sure.

I don't think it will totally be clear in this life time.

JMO

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

This is the closest I could find ...

Job 40:15-19 (New King James Version)

Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you;

He eats grass like an ox.

See now, his strength is in his hips,

And his power is in his stomach muscles.

He moves his tail like a cedar;

The sinews of his thighs are tightly knit.

His bones are like beams of bronze,

His ribs like bars of iron.

He is the first of the ways of God;

Only He who made him can bring near His sword.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I believe the Genesis you quoted was an explanation for why they are not mentioned.

However we see in Job that they mention Leviathan. From what I have seen in the past, that is supposedly some dragon like creature. In Belize in the 90's there was mention of a leviathan like creature seen in that deep blue hole in the sea they have on their shores. More recently, Giant Squids and Octopuses have been found and captured of the coasts of Japan

So it is my belief that the deep sea based creatures are still alive today in the pacific and other places but the land animales like T-Rex and the rest were destroyed when the earth was formless... that's just my idea of it. None of this is based on actual fact.. except for the part about the giant Squids and Octopus, that was on the news. Notice how also, Giant Squids were mentioned in greek mythology how they destroyed ships and all... could it be?

I believe the Genesis you quoted was an explanation for why they are not mentioned.

However we see in Job that they mention Leviathan. From what I have seen in the past, that is supposedly some dragon like creature. In Belize in the 90's there was mention of a leviathan like creature seen in that deep blue hole in the sea they have on their shores. More recently, Giant Squids and Octopuses have been found and captured of the coasts of Japan

So it is my belief that the deep sea based creatures are still alive today in the pacific and other places but the land animales like T-Rex and the rest were destroyed when the earth was formless... that's just my idea of it. None of this is based on actual fact.. except for the part about the giant Squids and Octopus, that was on the news. Notice how also, Giant Squids were mentioned in greek mythology how they destroyed ships and all... could it be?

Yes, they are also mentioned, but they are sea creatures. Dinosaurs are commonly known as land animals ... generally speaking. As for the theory of there being millions of years between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. This is known as the Gap Theory, which does not hold water. Man has created the biblical references with the numerical system for study reasons, which made it easier to find a place in scripture. It was not meant to divide it as in time. His word tells us in the first paragraph that the world was without form, which could not sustain life. Trying to add to His word is not wise.

Yes, they are also mentioned, but they are sea creatures. Dinosaurs are commonly known as land animals ... generally speaking. As for the theory of there being millions of years between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. This is known as the Gap Theory, which does not hold water. Man has created the biblical references with the numerical system for study reasons, which made it easier to find a place in scripture. It was not meant to divide it as in time. His word tells us in the first paragraph that the world was without form, which could not sustain life. Trying to add to His word is not wise.

Actually Gods word states that He first created the the Earth became. That is not adding it is just a proper translation.

I do believe there was something that happened between Gen 1:1 and 2. The earth became something then God restored the earth.

I find it wild that the Bible puts God created first then the earth being void, rather than the earth being void then God created. Doesn't make sense. Riddle me this: when did God create something that had no shape?

Let's see ... air for one. The vacuum of space for another. Time comes to mind.

Lets look at His word. Genesis 1:1-2

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Notice the "And", meaning a continuance of the first sentence. The period finished the statement in the first verse, but does not exclude the connection with the second verse.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  263
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/02/1954

Actually Gods word states that He first created the the Earth became. That is not adding it is just a proper translation.

I do believe there was something that happened between Gen 1:1 and 2. The earth became something then God restored the earth.

I find it wild that the Bible puts God created first then the earth being void, rather than the earth being void then God created. Doesn't make sense. Riddle me this: when did God create something that had no shape?

Let's see ... air for one. The vacuum of space for another. Time comes to mind.

And the earth was became without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Notice the "And", meaning a continuance of the first sentence. The period finished the statement in the first verse, but does not exclude the connection with the second verse.

Now lets look at that same thing considering the word and with the proper translation of that word there.

And the earth was became without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Sorry, my question was wrong...forgive me for that.

Lets actually look a little more at without form and void.

Without form meaning waste...or worthless, vain. So God created earth a waste huh. Void meaning ruin empty...like a bombed out city. That is how God created the earth?

I don't see the word, "became" in the Hebrew. Where are you getting that? I see the word, "Hayita" which is properly translated "was" and is in the past tense.

On the other hand, you will notice that God creates the "Great lights" to rule the day and the night on the fourth day. This would seem to suggest that the first three days are defined by some other limitations. Some day I want to ask God for the definition of the words morning and evening as used in the first chapter of Genesis.

Now lets look at that same thing considering the word and with the proper translation of that word there.

Sorry, my question was wrong...forgive me for that.

Lets actually look a little more at without form and void.

Without form meaning waste...or worthless, vain. So God created earth a waste huh. Void meaning ruin empty...like a bombed out city. That is how God created the earth?

You can not change the word of God to fit your explanation. How is it a wrong translation?

The word "was" in Hebrew is hyh (Strong's 1961) which has the following meanings:

to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out

1. (Qal)

1. to happen, fall out, occur, take place, come about, come to pass

2. to come about, come to pass

3. to come into being, become

4. to arise, appear, come

5. to become

6. to become

7. to become like

8. to be instituted, be established

9. to be

10. to exist, be in existence

11. to abide, remain, continue (with word of place or time)

12. to stand, lie, be in, be at, be situated (with word of locality)

13. to accompany, be with

2. (Niphal)

1. to occur, come to pass, be done, be brought about

2. to be done, be finished, be gone

The Hebrew word for "form" (Strong's Number: 8414) is "wht" and has meanings of:

formlessness, confusion, unreality, emptiness

1. formlessness (of primeval earth)

1. nothingness, empty space

2. that which is empty or unreal (of idols) (fig)

3. wasteland, wilderness (of solitary places)

4. place of chaos

5. vanity

The word "void" is "whb" (Strong's Number: 922) and has only this meaning:

1. emptiness, void, waste

The world was without form and void. There is no other was to put it.

Edited to give my reference: http://www.searchgodsword.org/desk/?l=en&a...=Perform+Search

Here is another reference you can use: http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b...mp;t=KJV#conc/2

On the other hand, you will notice that God creates the "Great lights" to rule the day and the night on the fourth day. This would seem to suggest that the first three days are defined by some other limitations. Some day I want to ask God for the definition of the words morning and evening as used in the first chapter of Genesis.

I have thought about that, but realized that God first had to know what a day was before He created a system for us to understand time.

What bible translation are you guys using?