Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I love my ancient KJV, but the newer versions (NIV) is good too. Get a good concordance...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1975

I have found it is really up to the reader everyone understands a little different.Some people like this bible others like that one you just need to find one You like and can understand.I do have to agree though I really like esword too that has helped to.

God Bless

Dan

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Some versions are more word-for-word... those are generally harder to understand, but better for study (KJV, NASB, NKJV), others are more contemporary, meant more for plain reading (NIV, NLT), and then there's The Message, which is Bible so simple and sweet I think anyone could pick it up and understand it.

I wouldn't worry yourself with which one is most accurate, or most 'true'... the message is the same in all of them, brother.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Once more, I have to bring up a warning abut The Message. Please read what is on this web site ... I purchased The Message to ensure that what was said is true, and I did find these passages in their version. Allow His Spirit to show you the truth.

http://www.seekgod.ca/msgdoctrine2.htm

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

I hear alot from people about which version of the bible is best or 'most true'

anyone have an opinion on this?

Today the different bible versions are like everything else. You got to eat the watermelon and spit out the seeds. LOL

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I like KJV and the NKJV the best.

What is esword? :emot-questioned:

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

E-Sword is a computer program that has a ton of Bible translations, similar to BibleGateway.com... its a pretty intersting system. You can put notes in it see historical maps and so on.

I own a NKJV and Amplified.. I bought the NKJV because I heard it was one of the most accurate and with more modern english. The Amplified I bought because it helps to see all the little nuances from the Hebrew text you wouldn't get in another Bible.. so its like killing 2 birds with one stone...

I REALLY REALLY LIKE the New Living Translation! It's so easy to read! And fun! Sometimes I read a verse I know of in the NLT and then get a completely new understanding because I didn't fully "get" what was being said in the NKJV... I say, go with the Bible which will make most sense and get an amplified to compliment it. The amplified is so useful check it out (nuances in brackets below)...

John 13:34-35 (New King James Version)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

John 13:34-35 (Amplified Bible)

34 I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another. 35 By this shall all [men] know that you are My disciples, if you love one another [if you keep on showing love among yourselves].

John 13:34-35 (New Living Translation)

34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

Another example..

1 John 4:10 (New King James Version)

10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

1 John 4:10 (Amplified Bible)

10 In this is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation (the atoning sacrifice) for our sins.

1 John 4:10 (New Living Translation)

10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The KJV is probably the least accurate. The NRSV and NASB are actually the most accurate as they are literal translations. These are typically used as reference bibles, when you are confused about a scripture's meaning. They can be tough to read as they sentence structure is awkward. The NIV is a literal translation but with the sentence structures modified more for English to make it easier to read. So, it's really the best of both worlds IMO.

The Living Bible and The Message and books like that are NOT translations, they are not intended for bible study. It's more of a devotional type of a book. They are very loose "translations" and based on one person's idea of what the original author is meaning.

At least that's all what I learned in College. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Ya, I'm aware that The Message is more of a paraphrase than a study Bible. But it's very simple and easy to understand. As far as the 'pagan/gnostic' references in it, that doesn't really surprise me. People fling mud at just about every translation nowadays... But don't worry, I do have God on my side after all, so I'm sure I'll almost instantly recognize if something isn't really the same. (and I have already, I think)