• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm not sure I understand Matthew 7:6. "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine,lest they trample them under their feet,and turn again and rend you." (KJV)

Isn't it our job to spread the gospel to those that may not have heard, and only then if they hear not to dust off our sandals? Shiloh62

If you note in the Gospels, there came a point when Jesus refused to answer the Pharisees and Sadducees and the like.

There comes a point where we can recognize a person has stopped their ears to hearing the Gospel and just want to argue. At that point we need to stop playing their game and move on.

I have one friend who actually came to Christ because some Christians did just that. He was an avid atheist who took pleasure in arguing down what the Christians had to say. One night when he met them again at their home, they told him to his face they could tell he was arguing for the sake of arguing, had no intentions of listening to them, and that they were done with him, and then forced him to leave the house. It just so happened that the Lord was doing something in his heart at the time, and reality hit him with the rejection and that drove him to find God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

I'm not sure I understand Matthew 7:6. "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine,lest they trample them under their feet,and turn again and rend you." (KJV)

Isn't it our job to spread the gospel to those that may not have heard, and only then if they hear not to dust off our sandals? Shiloh62

I am not going to open my Bible and study it before I respond. Sorry.

When I hear the word pearls, I think of pearls of wisdom. When I think on this scripture, I see the notion of not sharing GODly wisdom with worldly folk. That does not mean not to share the gospel with them, sorry to disagree with Onelight here.

Before a person can digest the wisdom of GOD, they first have to have a relationship with HIM and a desire to understand HIS wisdom. Placing the wisdom of GOD infront of one who has rejected the truth of CHRIST will result in them turning on you as a fool.

"Trust in the LORD with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding" is some of the greatest wisdom you can learn. Yet, if you say this to an unsaved person...

Kross, where do we disagree? I'm confused ...

I didn't word that well. It was late. I just meant that I did not relate it to spiritually discerning who to share the gospel with and who not to. (which is what I got from your post) Although I do agree with the HOLY SPIRIT leading us to share with specific people (anyone who knows me knows I am a believer that GOD chooses whom HE is going to save and will ensure HE sends people to them)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

Here's another thought..

spiritual riches=spiritual gifts=spiritual treasures which if shared randomly with the carnal or the unbelieving they most certainly will turn again and bite you back! can mean the unbelieving christian community are the worst offenders I know of!

I don't see where this is talking specifically about sharing The Word ie. preaching the Gospel..

It's from The Sermon on The Mount. Reading in context, what I see is all encompassing. How did you arrive at your conclusion pls. that it's mainly to do with preaching? I would be most interested to know. Thanks. :group-hug:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  231
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

If you note in the Gospels, there came a point when Jesus refused to answer the Pharisees and Sadducees and the like.

There comes a point where we can recognize a person has stopped their ears to hearing the Gospel and just want to argue. At that point we need to stop playing their game and move on.

I have one friend who actually came to Christ because some Christians did just that. He was an avid atheist who took pleasure in arguing down what the Christians had to say. One night when he met them again at their home, they told him to his face they could tell he was arguing for the sake of arguing, had no intentions of listening to them, and that they were done with him, and then forced him to leave the house. It just so happened that the Lord was doing something in his heart at the time, and reality hit him with the rejection and that drove him to find God.

This is my position Nebula. I believe the Holy Spirit will direct when the time comes to hold back the pearls. Only he knows who's the swine or dog!

Guest shiloh357

I would agree with sweet~lady on this one. I don't think he is really talking about spreading the gospel.

It is metaphorical but draws, in part, on the imageary of the sacrifices. Just as you would not throw the meat that belonged to God's altar to dogs, likewise you should be careful and reverent in how we handle the things of God.

We should use prudence in how and with whom we share what God has done in our life.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I suppose a literal reading of the text would to farcical.

I think it means, don't share your most personal feelings with a bunch of idiots, because they will use it against you.

Wow, that sounds like the place I work-anything you share willl be used against you at my job- I guess thats what is meant by brushing off your sandals and moving on!Shiloh62

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I've always wondered about this myself. One of my dear friends is a recovering drug addict among other things. I've known him and been witnessing to him for 5 years and am only now starting to see the fruits of that. At what point are we to stop sewing the pearls?

If the seed is producing fruit, they guy is not a swine anyway.

Dogs and swine are both references to unclean animals. You can usually tell a pig or a dog type individual fairly easily. They're ones who interrupt with a hearty "I don't wanna hear that (expletive deleted)!" So, don't tell 'em. God will understand.