How do you draw the line with your in-laws

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

When you married your husband, you became under his rule. If he does not want to take responsibility, then you should not. If you do not allow him to lead you as your husband, you are taking from him his dignity. God knew what He was doing when He created a marriage.

I was referring to this. It sounds like you were saying she shouldn't do anything about this if her husband wohldn't.

Then you are disagreeing against Gods word as I gave scripture that states the same, which should be for another thread, not this one.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

The thing is we are Indians, and the oldest have the responsibility on everyone of the family. We have to look after everyone. I tried to pretend everything is ok, but it's not. How do I tell my in-laws to sort this out on their own & leave me alone. Cuz they came to me & not my hubby. He don't want anything to do with them, especially after they treat me always like nothing cuz I'm not fully Indian, but I'm a half breed (mixed race - colored).

They treat you like nothing yet they want you to get the money to pay for their mistakes! talk about double standards! I don't know about all the rules within families such as yours but if your husband says no then I would respect that. Also if they really want the money they can go to your husband and ask for it themselves instead of putting undo stress on your relationship with him. Sometimes we just have to say no, no matter how much it may hurt us. We all need to take personal responsibility for our own actions. And sister you are a whole person to God and nothing less!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/24/1972

I have a heap of my own problems but need add to this post. I think you need address this problem with the whole family ( all staying with you) and let them eat into it. Tell them how you feel and have them share into solving the matter. They need to be part of the solution here.You can not carry everyone's problems , its hard. Could be, they don't appreciate the magnitude of the issue until they are asked to share... then next time they will respect those who feed them.

John

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

You have some painful decisions to make.

You must give priority to hubby+yourself first.

Let them auction the house - as it now in the name of hubby's sister.

Stop dealing with any of the relatives in financial matters.

Dont worry about hubby's reputation - the truth will surface sooner or later.

If you feel guilty about kicking them - as you say - dont be.There a lot of people you can help.

Free yourself.

Jesus is in you.Follow Him. He is talking to you through hubby

Blessings

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

In-laws is a very difficult issue, but with God help we will always find answers

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/20/1979

First of all I would love to thank all of yall, for replying & giving me advice. I appreciate it a lot.

It is very hard to say no, I've realized with all yall saying here, that i was actually playing right into their hands.

I'm such a wimp. I didn't see they've used me, cuz i've done a lot more things for them (i love giving it's just me) and still i'm not treated as part of the family. No wonder my hubby doesn't want to go to them or talk to them

Last night my in-laws had a thanksgiving dinner, and Guess what I was not invited. My hubby didn't go, cuz he says if i'm not invited, he will not go there.

I begged him to go, but he stood his ground.

Am I wrong in reconciling him with his family?

I send them a message to tell them that I don't have the money & don't think I'll be buying their groceries for them anymore.

This morning I feel so guilty in doing that, what about their lovely kids. Their children calls me & dasen (hubby) their parents.

Even their school will contact us instead of their biological parents.

Was i right in telling them a bit of my mind over the phone last night? Will this ruin my changes to become a part of this family?

I'm just so hurt & confused about this.

love,

lomi

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

First of all I would love to thank all of yall, for replying & giving me advice. I appreciate it a lot.

It is very hard to say no, I've realized with all yall saying here, that i was actually playing right into their hands.

I'm such a wimp. I didn't see they've used me, cuz i've done a lot more things for them (i love giving it's just me) and still i'm not treated as part of the family. No wonder my hubby doesn't want to go to them or talk to them

Last night my in-laws had a thanksgiving dinner, and Guess what I was not invited. My hubby didn't go, cuz he says if i'm not invited, he will not go there.

I send them a message to tell them that I don't have the money & don't think I'll be buying their groceries for them anymore.

This morning I feel so guilty in doing that, what about their lovely kids. Their children calls me & dasen (hubby) their parents.

Was i right in telling them a bit of my mind over the phone last night? Will this ruin my changes to become a part of this family?

love,

lomi

They may gain a new respect for you.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

love,

lomi

They may gain a new respect for you.

Kat may be right, Lomi. You stood up to them and stopped being manipulated. They may have a whole new respect for you and your husband. Blessings!!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

love,

lomi

Hi Lomi,

What you did was right. If you continued to pay for what they are responsible for, they will have no reason to grow up and take responsibility for themselves. You were enabling them to continue to be irresponsible. They are not even good examples to their own children, which is against scripture. Have you ever heard of the term "tough love"? Tough love is when you do what is right, even if it causes pain to someone. The pain is due to them not being responsible enough to take care of their own lives. They might suffer a bit, and you may feel bad for it, but after awhile, when they realize that they have to take care of themselves, they will have to change.

Be strong, in love. Don't shun them, just don't be their endless money supply. Invite the kids over for supper if you want. Continue to be there as support for them, but stay firm.

God Bless,

Alan

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from General Discussion to Looking for Advice