• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/13/1972

In the last five yrs or so, I've become a big fan of "Christian Rock" music. I think I might be mid-genre with my tastes: on the softer side, Casting Crowns. Harder stuff for me: Kutless, DecembeRadio, CREED (though they never called themselves "Christian"). Chris Thomlin is about as soft as I'll go.

I've been making videos for our Sunday services for about two yrs now and taking the congregation a little more toward rock each time. It has been interesting watching their growth, since many are in the 45-65 age group and fairly conservative (though more open-minded than most).

What do you think about Christian rock? Is it too much? Disrespectful? We do contemporary choruses in our services as well as hymns... but those hymns, woo, they dry me out.

anita

Guest Alloni
In the last five yrs or so, I've become a big fan of "Christian Rock" music. I think I might be mid-genre with my tastes: on the softer side, Casting Crowns. Harder stuff for me: Kutless, DecembeRadio, CREED (though they never called themselves "Christian"). Chris Thomlin is about as soft as I'll go.

I've been making videos for our Sunday services for about two yrs now and taking the congregation a little more toward rock each time. It has been interesting watching their growth, since many are in the 45-65 age group and fairly conservative (though more open-minded than most).

What do you think about Christian rock? Is it too much? Disrespectful? We do contemporary choruses in our services as well as hymns... but those hymns, woo, they dry me out.

anita

I think music is an experience like anything else (movies, television, a trip to the grand canyon). It can be background noise or you can allow it to speak to you. Either way, its really what you do with it that counts. Christian Rock or Secular Rock can have the same harmful effects, or the same benefits, depending on it's use and meaning. So I feel like the genre is simply the packaging for a message.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

anita

Hi,

I like praise and worship that is passionate, and if contemporary Christian music accomplishes that then that's the music for me. I don't think it's particularly the TYPE of music but the anointing that flows out of it. I also think it's nice to vary how the worship is led, and that's why it's imperative to listen to the spirit's leading. I dance and wave flags so I'm not one to sit or stand and mildly clap during praise and worship.

Thanks for the great question!

Hugs,

Darlene

Edited by riel

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

anita

Hello PastorsWife,

The following is my opinion only, but it is this:

Worship how you feel you need to worship. I enjoy many christian rock bands myself. Third Day is my personal favorite.

Many believe you can only sing hymns or else you are on the verge of being disrespectful. Well, I feel it is important to look at the vast amounts of praise and worship there really are.

In 2 Chronicles 29:30 we see praise and worship in the form of singing and bowing of heads.

Genesis 24:52 we see worship in the form of bowing down.

Philippians 3:3, worshiping God in the spirit

2 Samuel 6:14 we see David dancing with all his might.

What these scriptures show us is there are many forms...none right or wrong...it's what's in your heart. We know God knows the depths of our hearts and knows if we are worshiping Him in truth or merely by lips and acts.

I worship in many ways. Sometimes I sing, sometimes I clap and dance, others Im on my face in prayer giving Him glory for all things. Sometimes I hear a song and it just overwhelms me by the meaning to the point where Im in tears. You are doing a good thing my sister. Some find Hymnals to be "boring". I love the hymns myself, but know some want to praise and worship with excitement...because they are excited about the grace that has been given to them. A mixture is a great balance, and through their hearts, God will determine whats pure and whats show.

With love in Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

anita

Hello anita,

It is my opinion that Christian Rock has no place in the church of our day. For I don't deem it right to mix the message of the world with the pure message of the church as we are not to have fellowship with the world and it's ways. God does not want that for us and we mix the ungodly songs of the world with godly music that truly glorifies the Lord. Mixing worldly singers as you've mentioned above with the purity that is in the cross to me is wholeheartedly wrong.

OC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I personally like contemprary and christian rock, as long as the annointing flows from it, otherwise no matter how loud you play it it will fall flat.

IMO worship is very very important, when you let loose with shouts and dance unto the Lord you are breaking thru to the heavenlies, and then the glory comes down.

If a church can't break thru to the heavenlies in praise and worship it's not the church for me.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I personally like contemprary and christian rock, as long as the annointing flows from it, otherwise no matter how loud you play it it will fall flat.

IMO worship is very very important, when you let loose with shouts and dance unto the Lord you are breaking thru to the heavenlies, and then the glory comes down.

If a church can't break thru to the heavenlies in praise and worship it's not the church for me.

Hello stacey,

I think that it's pretty much a conscience thing with every individual. I don't think that it is the loudness of the music that create a strong annointed spirit of worship. Worship only comes from the heart pf a believer who loves the Lord. There are many who go to church jump around to loud music and they think that is worship. True worshippers worship from their hearts.

IMO I agree with you when you say worship is greatly important and I believe in dancing, shouting, and the what not. People get praise and worship all wrong as people think they have entered into worship and never enter into worship and that takes pressing in the heavenlies as the anointing will begin to flow.

I wouldn't go as far to say that if a church didn't praise and worship then it is not a church to you. There are churches that have not learned the truth in this avenue but it does not mean it's a bad church IMO.

Blessings

OC

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/13/1972

anita

Hello anita,

It is my opinion that Christian Rock has no place in the church of our day. For I don't deem it right to mix the message of the world with the pure message of the church as we are not to have fellowship with the world and it's ways. God does not want that for us and we mix the ungodly songs of the world with godly music that truly glorifies the Lord. Mixing worldly singers as you've mentioned above with the purity that is in the cross to me is wholeheartedly wrong.

OC

What then about churches that are non-instrumental? Aren't they practicing pure worship by not permitting instruments that have been used to play secular music? Does it depend on the instrument?

I love the idea of stealing rock for our own use, because it speaks to younger people and even old me. I inhale the Spirit when I hear it, nearly drowning in His love, but I think the hymns are just awful....MY OPINION!! A few are old favorites to me, too, but a lot of them are dry versions of each other and I personally get nothing from what I am trying to sing. These are songs from the 1400-1700's! I grew up with them in the Lutheran church and when I ran into Christian contemporary music, it was like a Spiritual i.v. to a totally dehydrated believer.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

Hello stacey,

I think that it's pretty much a conscience thing with every individual. I don't think that it is the loudness of the music that create a strong annointed spirit of worship. Worship only comes from the heart pf a believer who loves the Lord. There are many who go to church jump around to loud music and they think that is worship. True worshippers worship from their hearts.

IMO I agree with you when you say worship is greatly important and I believe in dancing, shouting, and the what not. People get praise and worship all wrong as people think they have entered into worship and never enter into worship and that takes pressing in the heavenlies as the anointing will begin to flow.

I wouldn't go as far to say that if a church didn't praise and worship then it is not a church to you. There are churches that have not learned the truth in this avenue but it does not mean it's a bad church IMO.

Blessings

OC

Blessings OC

I agree, that's why I said it doesn't matter how loud you play the music, it's the annointing that's important. And your right true worship comes from the heart and pressing in to the Holy Ghost.

And I didn't say that churches without praise and worship were bad, but for my self I need a well rounded service with people who are not afraid to get a little rowdy for the Lord plus some meaty truth from the Word.

I know for my self when I was in the world, I had no problem dancing and shouting at rock concerts, jumping and cheering at the Super Bowl, or acting stupid in a bar, my Lord and Savior deserves me giving Him my all when I'm praising.

God bless

stacey c

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

There is never a right nor wrong answer to this question. There are, however, concerns that I have about any music. When one worships God, it needs to be from the heart, as being pulled by His Spirit. I sometimes question when does music replace the Holy Spirits movement? Allow me to explain.

I have seen services where an alter call was being made. No music is played, just an alter call. People come forth for prayer and weeping and repentance is there. I have also witnessed alter calls where very soft, emotional music is played. The difference is that more people come to the alter call when their emotions are moved by music. Why is that? I sometimes question if it is the music that has moved them, was it the conviction of the Holy Spirit, or was it both?

Then there are times when the uplifting music is played in worship. Personally, the music that gets my feet to dancing is not the hymnals, nor is it the loud Rock and Roll type music, but the middle of the road, contemporary music where I can hear and understand the words with nice music in the background.

I believe that worship is very important outside of the church. There, one can play what moves them, for it is only them and God at that time. In my house, my son like Christian Rap. I listen to just about everything. It all depends on how my spirit is that day.

I also have noticed that in order to reach certain age groups, their style of music is used to preach to them. Is this bad? Is this conforming too much to the world?

As I said earlier, I can see no right or wrong answer. To me, as long as it is not a stumbling block for another, listen to what you want. Yet, in the chrich service, allow Him to direct your music, not you trying to direct the body to Him by your music.