pokemaughan

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I do not think the Bible is "unreliable" at all.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I'm currently in a long-winded discussion via email with my girlfriend's aunt about various facets of our personal beliefs.

Her current standing is that the Bible is unreliable due to man (I have no problem arguing against this... plenty of fact to refute that).

She believes,

(a) Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene and had 6 kids.

(b) The Biblical canon is unreliable.

So my two questions are,

(a) How does one come to this conclusion, that Jesus was married? Was He?

(b) How was the Biblical canon formed? Why is it that what we have is the be-all-end-all, and nothing else?

Where does your girlfriends aunt get her information?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Where does your girlfriends aunt get her information?

I imagine the DaVinci Code, Gospel of Phillip, and conspiracy theorists.

She went to college to become a Christian teacher, then fell away. Now she's a lesbian that believes in God, but doesn't believe the Bible.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

I do not think the Bible is "unreliable" at all.

Boy watch lck this thead; they always do when they get offended.

I'm not arguing about translations, here. That's a different issue entirely that demands personal unbiased research, not more conspiracy theories.

Guest shiloh357
The Bible is the Word of God; but it is not the truth; the truth comes from the Spirit of truth that will lead and guide us in to all truth.

This gross error. The Bible is both the Word of God and it is absolute truth.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

However one thing that puzzles me is why the book of Enoch was not included in the Canon? It was referenced by Paul and I belive the writer of Hebrew in the Epistles... I know one reason it wasn't included is because it was written by 3 different authors which is odd. Odd because why did three different people write it? It's so clear when you read it that there is three clear and distinct voices/writing signatures... I dont know.. somethings are better left out. I belive they made the right choice leaving it out.. it would have brought a lot of confusion.

the book of Enoch, is still considered to be of value for historic purpose, but is believe not to be the Breathed Word or the Inspired Word of God...... and then, not knowing who the Author(s) are/were, this also could have been part of it as well.

if there is something that does not line up with the Bible, the Bible stands firm, and that which does not line up is flawed...

mke

I'm currently in a long-winded discussion via email with my girlfriend's aunt about various facets of our personal beliefs.

Her current standing is that the Bible is unreliable due to man (I have no problem arguing against this... plenty of fact to refute that).

She believes,

(a) Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene and had 6 kids.

(b) The Biblical canon is unreliable.

So my two questions are,

(a) How does one come to this conclusion, that Jesus was married? Was He?

(b) How was the Biblical canon formed? Why is it that what we have is the be-all-end-all, and nothing else?

I think your girlfriend's aunt would be very interesting to chat with. Count your blessings that way. I have a question. Does she by into any conspiracy theories? Does she think aliens have come to earth or believe that they built the pyramids? Does she think Atlantis, the Loch Ness Monster or the Yeti are real? If she buys into any of these ideas, or some other I haven't thought of, she may simply be prone to believing a lot of popular pseudo-scientific or pseudo-historical nonsense. There are a lot of people out there like that. I have some in my own family.

I too think the canon is unreliable and should not be taken at face value with out examining first what biblical secular scholars have to say. Based on the thinking of many such scholars my best guess is that Jesus never married and did not have any sexual relationship with women. I think we can trust the New Testament's silence on this matter, but then maybe I am wrong. It would make an interesting discussion.

Maybe we should have a thread on how the canon formed.

start a thread on the canonization, the methods and rules that were used....

mike

I too think the canon is unreliable and should not be taken at face value with out examining first what biblical secular scholars have to say. Based on the thinking of many such scholars my best guess is that Jesus never married and did not have any sexual relationship with women. I think we can trust the New Testament's silence on this matter, but then maybe I am wrong. It would make an interesting discussion.

Maybe we should have a thread on how the canon formed.

start a thread on the canonization, the methods and rules that were used....

mike

I think it would be a very interesting topic. I have some very general knowledge now but lack any in depth understanding. I'd feel better if someone who knows this stuff led the discussion. I'd have to do a lot of independent research to get up to speed.

I just opened up the thread, for everyone to pipe up in....

mike

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

I think your best bet of discussion with your GF's aunt is to point out the purpose of marriage. We can only speculate on what humanity would be like without the fall of Adam and Eve. But we do know that once we are made perfect in the end, we will be as the angels are...neither married nor given in marriage. This tells me that we were never truly intended to be a married bunch. We were intended to be fruitful and multiply bringing forth life for the kingdom of Heaven, but once the fall occured, our hearts became evil. We started having needs and lustful thoughts as we still do today. To curb those needs, we are now instructed to take one husband or wife. Jesus on the other hand, did not have these needs...He was complete as God. His life was dedicated to God...He even expected His apostles to have the same mindset in that He asked them to leave their families behind. Jesus had no need for a wife because He didn't have a need to fulfill His sexual desires....because He had none. His desire was to do the will of the Father.