abbershay

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

The book the shack has been enormously popular and i am sure many of you have read it . What did you think ?

I found that reading the book really stretched my religious box but i really enjoyed it because it helped me to see things a little differently. One has to remember its just a fictional book but i found that it brought me clser to God and his love for man kind.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

:thumbsup: OH NO..... not again..... :wub:

guessed i missed something lol

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

:wub: Every time I see this title I get skeerert!!!!! :thumbsup::)

guessed i missed something lol

if you all already discussed it perhaps you can just delete this thread and i will go searching for the old post

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

To save you the time of looking ...

You may want to read these ... there have been some really heated discussions about this book.

The Shack, anyone read this book?

Shack Author rejects biblical substitutionary Atonement, For those who have "ears" to hear....

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/15/1935

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/21/1957

The book the shack has been enormously popular and i am sure many of you have read it . What did you think ?

I found that reading the book really stretched my religious box but i really enjoyed it because it helped me to see things a little differently. One has to remember its just a fictional book but i found that it brought me clser to God and his love for man kind.

I don't know anything about the author, and I have not read any other threads about this -- all I know is what is in the book. I loved it. I could not find anything really theologically wrong with the book itself, it brought me closer to God as well. It was refreshing to read somebody who believes we are to depend on and abide in God, who loves us and is willing to do anything for that love. I love the description of the Holy Spirit -- the Asian woman was just the form He took -- but the seeing and not really seeing, the ethereal quality, etc, I thought was wonderful. I loved Jesus described as fully God and fully man. I loved the fact that what God wants most is relationship, total communion/communication, and for us to depend on Him. Those concepts were explained in simple enough terms that were easily understood.

I read here that the author does not believe in the substitutionary death of Jesus, but I did not get a sense of that in the book. God and Jesus spoke of how He suffered on earth, yet was willing for the sake of love. God was pleased with His Son because of that. I've also heard complaints of universalism in the book, but Jesus said that many WERE called from other paths, which lead nowhere into Christianity.

So, once again, I loved the book.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  1

The Shack is very well written and tells a wonderful story. It will resonate with anyone who has ever felt disappointment with God at some level. It also provides a wonderful opportunity for the church, as people of all levels and types of faith are reading it and enjoying it. As Christ-followers we should view this as a bridge to spiritual conversations.

The one caution I would offer is that it should not be read as a definitive theology regarding the Trinity and the nature of God. It is a work of fiction. I like to compare it to C.S. Lewis's, The Great Divorce. Like The Shack, The Great Divorce tells a very compelling story. In the case of The Great Divorce, the topic is the after-life. It gets you thinking about the reality of heaven and what it will be like. However, Lewis never intended that it be used as a source for accurate information regarding the true nature of the after-life. The Shack should be read with this same understanding.

Comparisons to the DaVinci Code are not really appropriate. The DaVinci code is a work of historical fiction. Historical fiction has rules that govern the genre. One of those rules is that the major historical details of the period in question should not be fictionalized so as to change historical facts. The fictional aspect in an historical fiction work should be in the details of the lives of the characters and minor details that would not change history. An example of good historical fiction is the book, Killer Angels, set in the civil war. The author did not change the historical details of the battle of Gettysburg. The Union still prevailed and Pickett

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know anything about the author, and I have not read any other threads about this -- all I know is what is in the book. I loved it. I could not find anything really theologically wrong with the book itself, it brought me closer to God as well. It was refreshing to read somebody who believes we are to depend on and abide in God, who loves us and is willing to do anything for that love. I love the description of the Holy Spirit -- the Asian woman was just the form He took -- but the seeing and not really seeing, the ethereal quality, etc, I thought was wonderful. I loved Jesus described as fully God and fully man. I loved the fact that what God wants most is relationship, total communion/communication, and for us to depend on Him. Those concepts were explained in simple enough terms that were easily understood.

I read here that the author does not believe in the substitutionary death of Jesus, but I did not get a sense of that in the book. God and Jesus spoke of how He suffered on earth, yet was willing for the sake of love. God was pleased with His Son because of that. I've also heard complaints of universalism in the book, but Jesus said that many WERE called from other paths, which lead nowhere into Christianity.

So, once again, I loved the book.

I have to admit that I, too, found the book strangely compelling. And I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, protestant, doctrinal purist!

Sure, some of it comes as a shock - but that's the purpose. And the shock element is not there just for the sake of it, but for a real purpose that I have to allow is honest and resaonable and, even more importantly, illuminating. The shock is designed to get any armchair Christians or misinformed God-observers really thinking. And, I believe, in that it succeeds.

As long as one allows that it is fiction, I don't see why it shouldn't be treated in the same vein as other works of fiction in the Christian lexicon - Pilgrim's Progress, for instance.

I had a quick read through the earlier thread about this book and have to agree with Eric H's comments.

Interestingly enough, my 80 yr old mother who is very evangelical C of E and a doctrinal purist, also found the book compelling and bought several copies for non-Christian friends.

I think that the one thing it addresses most successfully is why there is pain and suffering in this world and why a good God allows same. It is an area that Christians often find difficult to give satisfactory answers to, especially to those that are in the midst of suffering personal tragedy; but somehow, this book addresses it.

I'd recommend it as a book to give seekers, especially those who are going through personal suffering or tragedy.. But be sure to be around afterwards to lead any unbeliever who is touched by the book but is unversed in Scripture, to the Lord Jesus. It's not a "give and go" book so much as an introduction to a compassionate God for those who are experiencing tragedy and suffering.

At least, that's how I received it.