• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

This question has just ocurred to me. :blink:

We're all familiar with the story of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness by Satan, prince of demons. But was it a flesh & bone opponent Jesus interacted with saw or just a vision induced by the extreme hunger of fasting? Did Jesus experience a visit by Satan during a period of altered consciousness brought about by extreme hunger --a trance-- or did the devil walk up to him in a human body as solid as yours or mine?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

This question has just ocurred to me. :blink:

We're all familiar with the story of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness by Satan, prince of demons. But was it a flesh & bone opponent Jesus interacted with saw or just a vision induced by the extreme hunger of fasting? Did Jesus experience a visit by Satan during a period of altered consciousness brought about by extreme hunger --a trance-- or did the devil walk up to him in a human body as solid as yours or mine?

The Bible says He was tempted by satan....it doesn't mention a vision of satan or that Jesus was delirious. Come to think of it, I don't believe it mentions a flesh and blood enitity tempting Him either.

• Group:  Senior Member

Hmmmm.

The way it's described in Matthew 4, it doesn't sound like something that literally happened. It reads more like an out-of-body experience during a trance state. What with the flying over mountains and rooftops, etc. But that's just my inexperienced opinion. I am by no means a Bible scholar.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Hmmmm.

The way it's described in Matthew 4, it doesn't sound like something that literally happened. It reads more like an out-of-body experience during a trance state. What with the flying over mountains and rooftops, etc. But that's just my inexperienced opinion. I am by no means a Bible scholar.

I'm not sure I can see that in this passage. But, I'm not a a Bible scholar either. I just always thought it meant they actually traveled to those places (although supernaturally) and it probably took place in a very short span of time.

Matthew 4

The Temptation of Jesus

1Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." 4Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'[a]"

5Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6"If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:

" 'He will command his angels concerning you,

and they will lift you up in their hands,

so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'[b]"

7Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'[c]"

8Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

10Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'[d]"

11Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Wouldn't people have seen Satan & Jesus suddenly appearing on the highest point of the temple? Not unless it was a "supernatural" journey, like Ebeneezer Scrooge & the 3 Spirits who visit him on Christmas Eve. The first spirit took Scrooge to the past, but no one could see or hear him while he was there.

But that's not to compare Jesus with Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Is it humanly possible to go 40 days without food? :blink:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/11/1989

Well...I think perhaps it could have been the way he tempts us...psycologically. I'm not sure though.

Wouldn't people have seen Satan & Jesus suddenly appearing on the highest point of the temple? Not unless it was a "supernatural" journey, like Ebeneezer Scrooge & the 3 Spirits who visit him on Christmas Eve. The first spirit took Scrooge to the past, but no one could see or hear him while he was there.

You do know the difference between fact and fiction........................right?

Is it humanly possible to go 40 days without food?

Do you doubt?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,136
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Is it humanly possible to go 40 days without food? :blink:

Food..... Yes it is for a very healthy person, but it is not physically good to do so.

without water, no a normal human can not do that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,136
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

But that's not to compare Jesus with Ebeneezer Scrooge.

You are talking about Jesus and Satan here...... Neither are simple humans doing just normal human things. Is walking on water a normal thing for us....... did Jesus really do that??????

yes Satan did physically temp Jesus as a human being in a very vunerable state after fasting for so long...

It is my understanding that Jesus is not the only being that has been tempted that way, and none of the others that I have read about said no.