Smalcald

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,069
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

The problem with fictional books written around and about God is people too easily get into it and then later the unholy spirits bring the fictional comments to remembrance . . . which the weak in faith then relate to as truth.

It has happen with every fictional piece every done about God and His Christ, be the Ten Commandments with Charleston Hesston (who looks like Moses) or the left behind series.

People think these are benign, but they are created to get you into them you the leaven can be gotten into you.

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I know many of you will say this won't be the case with you . . . but again, it is the weak that are the target.

There is a reason that there were no sick or feeble that entered into the promise land . . .

De 25:17 Remember what Amalek did unto thee by the way, when ye were come forth out of Egypt;

18 How he met thee by the way, and smote the hindmost of thee, even all that were feeble behind thee, when thou wast faint and weary; and he feared not God.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

If some of the works bt C.S. Lewis were held to the same standard as this book is being held (and is author) most of us would ne be reading C.S. Lewis

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/21/1957

I am halfway through this book. Has anyone read this book and what do they think?

At first I was not sure, but I kind of like the way it is getting at the Trinity.

I thought the book was wonderful. I heard all that was against it before I read it. Hearing that we should not read it often leads people to read it -- we HATE being told what not to do. I was not all that interested at first -- it seems every time I turn around there is some new craze about what we should not read, and I was tired of "biting". But, my spiritual teacher read it, and as I was telling him what was going on with me spiritually, he kept saying that the book spoke to that direct issue. I read the book and it is worthwhile. I realize it is fiction, but I also would never recommend anything that I disagreed with in terms of theology. There are always going to be difference, but I DO want God portrayed as He is iin the Bible. There are other issues of concern to me. As I read the book, I disagreed a little on a minor point, but it was a minor point. The greatest issue directed against it is that the Father is an African woman and the Holy Spirit is an Asian woman. The book makes it abundantly clear that these are smply "forms" of God which would mean something to the main character as he tries to come to terms with his anger toward "Father" God -- and at one point God, the Father, DOES take the form of a father.

A secondary issue is universalism in the book. It isn't there. Before being "enlightened", the main character tells his daughter that he supposes all religions (or at least Indian ones) point to God. He changes that opinion much later in the book after a talk with Jesus. Jesus said that there are Christians who USED to be Buddhists, Mormons, etc., and were on roads leading nowhere, but now they are Christians. Jesus says that He will bring people from all walks of life into the Christian path, and states that ONLY the Christian path leads to heaven.

Other than that, I found the book to be dynamite in terms of dealing with anger at God for allowing such a brutal murder. It was not sacreligious, it was human -- we all get angry at God for allowing pain. This book was the author's journey past that, and even though it is fictional, there is truth in his journey -- and as I understand it, this was a journey the author himself took. I also loved, loved, LOVED that the Trinity shared that the Christian life is spent in relationship and dependence upon God. God's thoughts are higher than ours, but He loves us, and longs for us to abide in Him, and He in us -- even when we don't always know and understand "the plan." As he spoke about that, I found myself caught up on adoration for our awesome God.

If some of the works bt C.S. Lewis were held to the same standard as this book is being held (and is author) most of us would ne be reading C.S. Lewis

I was never too big on C.S. Lewis, to be honest I only read the Screwtape Letters and skimmed though A case for Christianity.

However, just how many of his books address the concept of the Trinity, the Deity of Christ and the chronological events of the last days?

These are topics in my opinion that when addressed in fiction becomes riddled with error and lowly man's opinion and establishes false milestones which people look for that will never appear . . . plus God is not such a one as us and His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are way above out thoughts.

There have been stories since men sat around and amused themselves and there is always some "good and evil" in the stories but that does not make them true or godly.

In the animated movie Mulan it opens when the Huns invade China. The Chinese emperor then commands a general mobilization in which each family is given a conscription notice. Mulan's father Fa Zhou receives from the Imperial forces his conscription notice and having no son is forced to enlist despite his age. To protect her aging father Mulan poses as a man and joins the army in his place.

A small dragon Mushu accompanied also by a cricket travels with her to protect her and to make her a war hero in an attempt to regain dignity among the spirits of dead family ancestors by. Throughout the whole movie good and evil are presented and defined with good being the final victor over the evil. Throughout the movie people become emotionally sided with the good Mulan and loathe the evil Huns leader Shan Yu . . . but again that does not make it godly or a true representation of good and evil.

The same emotions but on a stronger scale are aroused by the story of William Wallace as seen in the movie Brave Heart . . . but that does not make him good or godly, or more righteous than those he wars against.

Stories are designed to arouse strong emotions and feelings and cause admiration for heroes and disdain for villains . . . often because we find some identification of the characters with some in real life . . . and I do not doubt that such feelings are generated by this book. But emotions will always choose sides, the same in the movie Gladiator . . . that is why they are given to be avenues for the relief and expression of the heart, but not the leaders thereof.

The problem is God is not such a one as we are and fictional stories about God that bring Him down to our dimension will play with emotions and give way for identifications with falsities as truth.

C.S. Lewis

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I agree with Eric's view also.

There is no advantage in Christians simply not reading ANYTHING because it might somehow tarnish their faith. Yet they spend all day watching the crap on TV.

This book is a positive work that I think will indeed work to bring many people to Christ. I mean we are arguing about its depiction of the Trinity in this instance, and all freaked out because one part of the Trinity presents itself as a women, however, the book goes on to say that the nature of God in the Trinity IS as a Father and male, God can show Himself however He chooses; but in this book at least it shows a Trinity, it seems to be the fashion today for Evangelicals to reject the Trinity as being too Catholic.

The coming apostasy which I now see invading the Evangelical Churches is a rejection of the Trinity, from that perspective this book is a very very good thing in fighting that heresy.

There is no advantage in Christians simply not reading ANYTHING because it might somehow tarnish their faith. Yet they spend all day watching the crap on TV.

This book is a positive work that I think will indeed work to bring many people to Christ. I mean we are arguing about its depiction of the Trinity in this instance, and all freaked out because one part of the Trinity presents itself as a women, however, the book goes on to say that the nature of God in the Trinity IS as a Father and male, God can show Himself however He chooses; but in this book at least it shows a Trinity, it seems to be the fashion today for Evangelicals to reject the Trinity as being too Catholic.

The coming apostasy which I now see invading the Evangelical Churches is a rejection of the Trinity, from that perspective this book is a very very good thing in fighting that heresy.

So odd to even think that the truth could be defended by an admitted work of fiction.

:thumbsup:

That alone seems to be a very dangerous exaltation . . .

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I am halfway through this book. Has anyone read this book and what do they think?

At first I was not sure, but I kind of like the way it is getting at the Trinity.

I think I have 3 chapters left. It is a wonderful book so far. A box smasher

Ok, I haven't heard that one before-what is a box smasher?

Couple of thoughts on this. I, too cannot understand why some Christians reject any reading other than the bible. I tried to get my friend at work to read some women's devotionals, and she rejected them, citing she only reads the bible.

Second thought : Why is it when Hollywood makes a movie, any time a church is portrayed in a movie, it must be Catholic? Is that Hollywood's stereotype of the church or do they honestly beleive thats the only church in existence?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Couple of thoughts on this. I, too cannot understand why some Christians reject any reading other than the bible. I tried to get my friend at work to read some women's devotionals, and she rejected them, citing she only reads the bible.

Second thought : Why is it when Hollywood makes a movie, any time a church is portrayed in a movie, it must be Catholic? Is that Hollywood's stereotype of the church or do they honestly beleive thats the only church in existence?

Good point.

Maybe they like the outfits etc? I think it is also a stereotype of secular people who know nothing of Christianity. Most writers in Hollywood are not Christians and know very little about the lived realities of Christian congregations and know probably next to nothing about evengelicals. The Catholic Church is big and it has a long history and it has all of these outfits, icons, big fancy Cathedrals etc, which Hollywood would see as visually appealing.

Yeah it is not apostasy. It is a fiction book a good read, I actually think it is inspiring. It gives you a view of the Trinity and how they work together in love. If you have lost a child or have gone through any other similar tragedy it certainly is a good book to read for a Christian, it is helping me deal with some things.

Honestly Smalcald, it is best just to read it and share what you have been allowed to see. There are those that have only read reviews and think they know what the book is about. Keep enjoying it and allowing God to crush those boxes we put Him in.

I guess that answers my box smasher question-ty!