• Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 8/6/2009 at 7:55 PM, ColleenLovesMischief said:

On 8/9/2009 at 6:26 PM, Believer1997 said:

Rebuke.... I thought at one time in my early life as a Christian, that to rebuke someone was not a good or positive thing. I had a wonderful mentor who told me, that through rebuke we learn and should thank those who rebuke us - if they care enough to tell us, they love us and want us to know what is right.

Psalm 141:5

Let a righteous man strike me

I agree that when rebuke is not done with love, it can be very damaging to relationships and to the soul of one being rebuked. However, we should understand rebuke as God using the mouth of the person to reveal to us something more about his character as well as that which actually exists in our heart.

Understand: the problem is not in believing in God (deep down, even atheists believe). The problem is to see the Eternal without thinking about our weaknesses, limitations, desires, needs, etc. What many do is put Jesus at the center of their lives, rather than giving their lives for Jesus to place them in the proper place of His body and His life.

Although, for a time, things seem to work well, when the storm comes (and it will come - John 16.33) the ruin will be great (Matthew 7:24-27). After all, everything we build based on the wrong knowledge that we assimilate from the Eternal will crumble and the worst: by His action (Matt 3.10, 15.13; Heb 12.25-27). At this hour, our trust in the Eternal will falter, even crumbling. Because we build our faith based on our expectations about Him instead of seeing Him as He is, all will surely fail. And the longer it takes for the storm to come, the more time and resources are lost.

And even if the individual is able to overcome the storm, it does not improve his situation: he will have no opportunity to see the misery in which he lives (Isa. 57:10), being condemned to be imprisoned in it (without the least capacity to get rid of it). And to bring destruction to himself and to those who surround him indefinitely (Psalms 69.22-28; Prov 1.18,19).

Hence be blessed who is rebuked by the Eternal (Psalms 94.12, 13).

May Jesus humble us to listen to his rebuke through the stones He sends to us because we have refused to listen to those whom He has placed in our lives to love us through them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

epitimáō; contracted epitimṓ, fut. epitimḗsō, from epí (G1909), upon, and timáō (G5091), to evaluate. In the NT, to punish, rebuke, charge. 

(I) One may rebuke another without bringing that one to a conviction of any fault, perhaps because there may have not been any fault or because there was fault but the rebuke was insufficient and ineffectual to bring the offender to acknowledge it. Therefore, epitimáō is merely the rebuke without any result in the person who is being rebuked. For instance, Peter or the other disciples were prone to rebuke (epitimáō) the Lord or others (Mat 16:22; Mat 19:13; Mar 8:32; Mar 10:13; Luk 18:15; Luk 19:39), but without any effect upon the Lord or the other people rebuked. The same is true when the penitent robber rebuked (epitimṓn) his fellow malefactor (Luk 23:40). With the idea of punishment (Jud 1:9 quoted from Zec 3:2). Followed by the dat. of thing and implying a desire to restrain, e.g., spoken of winds and waves (Mat 8:26; Mar 4:39; Luk 8:24; Sept.: Psa 106:9); of a fever (Luk 4:39).

(II) By implication, to admonish strongly, with urgency, authority, i.e., to enjoin upon, charge strictly, the idea of censure being implied, e.g., demons, followed by the dat. (Mat 17:18; Mar 1:25; Mar 9:25; Luk 4:35, Luk 4:41; Luk 9:42); of persons (Luk 9:21). Followed by a dat. and hína (G2443), so that (Mat 20:31; Mar 10:48; Luk 18:39). Followed by the dat. and hína mḗ (G3363) so that not, equivalent to forbid strictly (Mat 12:16; Mar 3:12; Mar 8:30).

Greek Word Study Dictionary 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/6/2009 at 3:26 AM, Openly Curious said:

Hello everyone,

Matthew 16:22--Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

Philippians 2:15--That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

2 Timothy 5:20--Them that sin rebuke before all, that others may fear.

Just want others input on what all entails rebuking someone, is it to be done harsely or mildly etc,. ?

Feel free to share scripture and your opinions let the thread go where it goes but would prefer staying on topic.

OC

The truth should be told gently, if harsh there are, or could be underlying issues of control and anger I believe.   To be gentle but honest shows respect and love for the one being talked to and not a rash or harsh judgment which is seldom true when done in anger.  However public scandal may be a different matter.  Jesus knew who he could 'scold' in vary degrees, but it was based I believe on what was needed to reach the one being convicted.  Public sinners know they are sinners, it was the Pharisees with whom he was hardest on, and it seemed to work, for many of the early Christians came from the educated class.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

To rebuke means to tell usually the devils to cut it oot. I belong to thr lord you can't have me