IGNORED

How Literal Should We Take The Word Of God?

Guest lovinghim4ever

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Jesus took every Word of God quite literally. :D

Peace,

Dave

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357
Great answers everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Now I think I better understand 2 Corinthians 3:6 . . .

"Who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant;

not of the letter but of the Spirit:

for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."

However, I would like more input if possible.

:D

Paul is discussing two different adminstrations of the law. He is not saying that the Old Tesament kills but the New Testament gives life. The Old Testament is the seed bed for the New Testament. The gospel can be found typified in the law given at Sinai.

The letter of the law has no life and is in fact condemnation for us in the face of our sin. There is no salvation in the letter of the law, only death. The law only reveals our sinfulness and is not designed by God to save us. The gospel is the spirit of the law.

The Festival of weeks (Pentacost) commemorates the day that Moses came down from Sinai with the tablets of the law. What happened? Moses comes down, but the people have erected a golden calf and are worshipping it. They have already broken God's law and on that day, 3,000 people are put to death. Yet on the same Festival of Pentacost 2,000 years later, the Holy Spirit comes down and 3,000 people are saved when they believe the gospel, which is the spirit of the law.

The old administration, the Old Covenant economy was designed by God to be temporary as demonstrated by the glory which faded from Moses' face. Paul contrasts that with the far greater and permanent glory of the New Covenant economy. Unlike the glory that was upon Moses, which faded, we behold with unveiled eyes, the glory of the Lord which not only does not fade but has the power to transform us into the same image(sanctification). His glory is found in the Spirit of the Law which is shown to us in the New Testament.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

'lovinghim4ever' date='Aug 7 2009,

What parts should we take literal and what parts shouldn't we? And, who do you think should make that determination for us?

2 Timothy 3:16--"All" scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

We should take the Word of God as literal as the breath we breath in and our bodies every day. We should accept all of the scripture nothing to be refused from Genesis all the way back to the maps in the back of our bibles. It is God who inspired the Word so none of the scripture should be broken up to the point in one don't accept this just tear it out and if you keep doing that pretty soon you'll have no bible left. All of the word should without a doubt be taken literally.

oc

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Take it all literally unless the writing is clearly metaphorical.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

...all scripture is to be taken literal...and yet all the literalists can't seem to agree on what the bible literally means half the time... ;)

...all scripture is to be taken literal...and yet all the literalists can't seem to agree on what the bible literally means half the time... :)

Literally....

Only Half? :thumbsup::24::P

>>>>>()<<<<<

For The Sake Of A Good Argument.... Two Things Believers Take Literally

Sinners

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

Proverbs 8:36

Need Jesus

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

John 11:25

And

Salvation

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Is Of The LORD

But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

Jonah 2:9

What's That You Say! That's Four.... Literally?

Well, Brother Saul (By The Literal Inspiration Of The Holy Ghost) Summed It Up Succinctly And Literally....

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 Corinthians 2:2

And Brother John (Again By The Literal Inspiration Of The Holy Ghost) Concisely Laid Out The Two Choices All Children Of Adam Face, Literally....

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 3:35-36

So

Whether Or Not We (Think!) We Understand The Mind Of God

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 5:8

And The Love He Has For Sinner Folk (Still Verbally Spitting In His Face!)

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

We Trust (Literally) His Holy Word

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15-16

And Drunk (Spiritually) His Cup Of Salvation

What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?

I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.

Psalms 116:12-13

And Call (Literally) Upon His Holy Name

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Joel 2:31

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting: and let all the people say, Amen. Praise ye the LORD.

Psalms 106:48

>>>>>()<<<<<

IMO One Of The Best Statements I Have Read

Summing Up The Regard Believers Have Toward The Love Letters God Gave To Us, His Beloved....

The BIBLE contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

It's doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

Christ is it's grand subject, our good the design, and the glory of God it's end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully.

It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgement, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From the front of my Gideon Bible

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.84
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

What parts should we take literal and what parts shouldn't we?

Those that are meant to be taken literal, take literally; those which are not, don't.

And, who do you think should make that determination for us?

The Holy Spirit.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

...all scripture is to be taken literal...and yet all the literalists can't seem to agree on what the bible literally means half the time... :emot-hug:

Literally....

Only Half? :emot-hug::24::24:

:24: Well said :) .

This really has been on my mind a lot lately... in prayer last night, this is what was brought to mind...

Ephesians 6:17

And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

A sword is made of hard metal, it is not flexible. I'd hate to have to defend myself with a bendable, flexible sword! The Word of God is set, it is not flexible, it says what it says and that's it.

Guest lovinghim4ever
...all scripture is to be taken literal...and yet all the literalists can't seem to agree on what the bible literally means half the time... :)

Literally....

Only Half? :24::24::24:

>>>>>()<<<<<

For The Sake Of A Good Argument.... Two Things Believers Take Literally

Sinners

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

Proverbs 8:36

Need Jesus

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

John 11:25

And

Salvation

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Is Of The LORD

But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

Jonah 2:9

What's That You Say! That's Four.... Literally?

Well, Brother Saul (By The Literal Inspiration Of The Holy Ghost) Summed It Up Succinctly And Literally....

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 Corinthians 2:2

And Brother John (Again By The Literal Inspiration Of The Holy Ghost) Concisely Laid Out The Two Choices All Children Of Adam Face, Literally....

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 3:35-36

So

Whether Or Not We (Think!) We Understand The Mind Of God

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 5:8

And The Love He Has For Sinner Folk (Still Verbally Spitting In His Face!)

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

We Trust (Literally) His Holy Word

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15-16

And Drunk (Spiritually) His Cup Of Salvation

What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?

I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.

Psalms 116:12-13

And Call (Literally) Upon His Holy Name

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Joel 2:31

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting: and let all the people say, Amen. Praise ye the LORD.

Psalms 106:48

>>>>>()<<<<<

:emot-hug::emot-hug:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Amen! The word is "exegesis"