• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

About these comparisons between KJV and NIV:

Looks to me like a circular argument.  Shouldn't we judge any scripture against the original language?    :P

:blink::P Good point Steve.

I would second that. Comparing two translations in nonsense. Only the original manuscripts can be used as a plumline, and we do not have those to go by. You judge copies, not by other copies, but by the orginals.

I would conjecture that, when most of the people on these boards do not speak.read greek and/or hebrew, we must go with the closest proven english translation for comparison. The KJV compares at 99% accuracy with the originals, no other translation can claim this.

In Christ

Truseek

If you're gonna quote me, Stevehut, quote my entire sentence please, not a fragment. My point here was that, since most people on these boards (or in the world for that matter) do not read gree and/or hebrew, and have no interest in doing so, we must have some standard for comparison, some way of saying which translation is best, or most accurate.

In Christ

Truseek

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

As we all know, there are plenty of Bible reference books around (in English) for those who want to go deeper into their Bible study. It's not hard to look up the Greek or Hebrew origins, if you really want to know.

Truseek,

Maybe you missed this post from yesterday. It explains my position on the matter. :t2:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  728
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

15"Take a look at the mighty hippopotamus. I made it, just as I made you. It eats grass like an ox. 16See its powerful loins and the muscles of its belly. 17Its tail is as straight as a cedar. The sinews of its thighs are tightly knit together. 18Its bones are tubes of bronze. Its limbs are bars of iron. 19It is a prime example of God's amazing handiwork. Only its Creator can threaten it. -- Job 40:15-19, NLT

Okay, since when can a hippo's tail be compared to a cedar tree? Have you ever seen a hippo's tail? It is dinky! LOL!

You should probably do a little more research before you start pointing fingers at the NLT translation. Here is the KJV of the same verse;

Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

Now, um in the footnotes on this verse it says the following or, the elephant as some might think. Have you ever seen an elephants tail?

You should realize you are just splitting hairs. So the NLT says hippo, instead of behemoth and behemoth is considered an elephant. So we have an hippo vs. elephant and this is your argument for it being watered down? :t2:

I am not a KJV-Onlist.

And, footnotes are not in the original language, in case you were not aware. I don't care what someone adds to a footnote, if it doesn't agree with the Word of God, and an elephant doesn't fit the bill here, either, then the footnote is WRONG.

I believe this is the mention of what the KJV calls "dragons," or what we now call "dinosaurs." Did you know that "dinosaurs" were called dragons all the way up until the late 1800's? This is why there are so many stories and legends of dragons, and man slaying dragons. They were (are) simply large reptiles.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/06/1976

To get to the ORIGINAL topic...

I would recommend either NIV, ESV (English Standard Version), or NKJV for a new believer. These are all easy enough to understand that a new believer won't have to be a high school grad to understand, but all very accurate. A very motivated new believer could easily start on the NASB, though I find it a bit choppy.

I would not recommend a KJV for a new believer, because frankly, English has evolved since 1611. God's Word certainly has not, but the English language has.

I also would not recommend the Message, as it is a paraphrase written by one man, and not an accurate translation.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I recomend the KJV and someone that cares enough to help them with it.

t.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

As funny as this may seem as a grown man when i came to the Lord I had my KJV but also had a childrens bible that i read to help with some understanding of some of the biblical stories :t2:

God Bless,

Dave

• Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

when i came to the Lord I had my KJV but also had a childrens bible that i read

Nothing wrong with that. Kinda funny (*ahem*...sorry :t2: ), though.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

I would not recommend a KJV for a new believer, because frankly, English has evolved since 1611. God's Word certainly has not, but the English language has.

:P:D:D:P;):D:t2:

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

when i came to the Lord I had my KJV but also had a childrens bible that i read

Nothing wrong with that. Kinda funny (*ahem*...sorry :P ), though.

Yep That's right I came to Christ as a Babe in him.. looking for knowledge anywhere i could find it :D

:P:t2::D:rofl::D

God Bless,

Dave

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/23/1987

I think the NIV is the best beginner-bible. It has modern english in it and is easier to understand for me. I don't like the King James because of all the "thee's" and "thou's"and all the old english language. I think the NIV is also the most popular Bible. I read have a New American Standard version Bible which I read once in awhile.

Sometimes I even read the Bible online. I use the NLT translation on online Bibles. It's even more easier to understand than the NIV sometimes, IMO.

Josh