• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  997
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Stevehut writes:"About these comparisons between KJV and NIV:

Looks to me like a circular argument. Shouldn't we judge any scripture against the original language?"

Shiloh357 writes:"I would second that. Comparing two translations in nonsense. Only the original manuscripts can be used as a plumline, and we do not have those to go by. You judge copies, not by other copies, but by the orginals."

This is the last time I will comment on this "originals" argument(and you are saying good!). THE ORIGINALS DO NOT EXIST, and have not existed for thousands of years! The Lord God had NO USE for the originals, and neither should we. Those who say this "originals" argument truly are speaking NONSENSE. The "original manuscripts" do not exist, and have not for thousands of years(repetition for learning).. Saying "we do not have those(the original manuscripts) to go by", and then saying "you judge copies

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Don't know how I did the double post, but this one is history

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The NIV and NLT (especially) are so watery as to dilute the message.  Not to mention the well known problems of the NIV.

How is the message of the NIV different? :D

Steve, my first noted problem with the NIV was that they changed the word "should" to "shall" in John 3:16.

John 3:16

16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

NIV

John 3:16

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

NASB

Some friends use the NIV to stress all you have to do to be saved is believe. They always use this scripture. I think there is a bit more to it than that.

It is true that if a person beleived in Him he/her might not perish depending on wether or not they confess the Lordship of Jesus. Without the believing in Him the person is lost from the start.

This verse is my first test of a translation as to wether or not I use it.

Just my two cents and personal thoughts that you may agree with or not :huh:

SE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

Only the original manuscripts can be used as a plumline, and we do not have those to go by. You judge copies, not by other copies, but by the orginals.

Well, there are plenty of old scrolls around, and I'd be content to compare the various Bible versions against them.

But to assume that the modern versions are wrong, just because they might conflict with the KJV? That's simply a dishonest argument. :huh:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

Some friends use the NIV to stress all you have to do to be saved is believe. They always use this scripture. I think there is a bit more to it than that.

Actually, that "just believe" theory (based on John 3:16) has been going around for many years, long before the advent of the modern versions. My Sunday School teacher taught this to us in the early 1960's, and the only text we had was KJV.

Guest shiloh357
But to assume that the modern versions are wrong, just because they might conflict with the KJV? That's simply a dishonest argument. 

There you go!!! :huh:

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

About these comparisons between KJV and NIV:

Looks to me like a circular argument.  Shouldn't we judge any scripture against the original language?    :huh:

:rofl::rofl: Good point Steve.

I would second that. Comparing two translations in nonsense. Only the original manuscripts can be used as a plumline, and we do not have those to go by. You judge copies, not by other copies, but by the orginals.

I would conjecture that, when most of the people on these boards do not speak.read greek and/or hebrew, we must go with the closest proven english translation for comparison. The KJV compares at 99% accuracy with the originals, no other translation can claim this.

In Christ

Truseek

Edited by truseek

Guest LCPGUY
I would conjecture that, when most of the people on these boards do not speak.read greek and/or hebrew, we must go with the closest proven english translation for comparison. The KJV compares at 99% accuracy with the originals, no other translation can claim this.

Excuse me, but in my opinion the NASB does too. Since these comments are all about opinions, just thought I

• Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,478
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  04/11/1972

This thread isn't going South is it ? :huh: Seems like the question's been answered ? This is not a KJV only invite....thought that was made clear from the beginning ? Please....let's not go there folks. Last time we discussed Bible versions ( what, last week ? :D ) it ended poorly.

We know where the KJV only folks stand, they know where the not-KJV-only people stand....that's clear between everyone ?

Just doing a little preemptive interference so we don't have to lock this thread & then get pummeled for doing so when folks start calling each other names, dishonouring Jesus, etc. Y'all know what I'm talking about :rofl:

Serving Him,

Bob