• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

The NIV removes 15 complete verses! The NASV removes 16 complete verses! The RSV removes 25 complete verses! The NCV removes 16 complete verses!

This is about the tenth time I have seen this info in the boards in the past couple of months. Each time I see this, I ask, which verses are these? No one has ever answered me. So I will ask again...

Which are the deleted verses?? :laugh:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

1-When we consider that John Wesley's mother taught each of her children how to read ON THEIR FIFTH BIRTHDAY

2- about 90% of all translations agree on about 99% of the text.

1- Yes, I'm sure that Mrs. Wesley is the all-time expert. :laugh: But apart from that...

The English language was a very different language at the time. The Wesleys lived in an era where people still actually talked like that. So it is not remarkable that a 5 year-old would understand it.

...Or dost thou yet tarry in such idiomatic usage?

2- Thank you...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/01/2003

The NIV is what I was raised on, so that will always be the easist for me to understand. However, I do read the NASB because it is a word for word translation vs. the NIV, which is a "thought for thought" translation - so the NASB reads a little jerkier than the NIV, but many consider it to be more accurate.

If English is their second language, though, I would recommend the NIV or the NLT.

I'm way past a ninth grade reading level and the KJV just doesn't work for me. I don't have anything against the translation, it's just is hard to read for me. I need to Bible to be real to me, to feel real. The KJV just feels like a different world and I have a hard time relating to that. And I've been a believer for over 20 years! I have no doubt it's a fine translation, and most of the time, it's just about finding what works for you. :laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,478
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  04/11/1972

Wow...thanks everyone for keeping this so civil! This topic seems to come up often and seems to always ends in a thread lock, folks calling each other names, etc. It's great to see everyone being civil for once....maybe it's 'cuz it's a Sunday ? :hug:

Anyway, I like the NIV & KJV, although I have about 20 versions on my e-Sword. Sometimes it's nice to compare 4 or so versions & see different perspectives on things....the outcome seems to be the same however. The wording may be different, but the idea is not. That's where I get confused on why there's such a big controversy :laugh:

I got saved while reading the NIV ( as well as millions of others ) so it can't be all that bad ( for you KJV only people out there ).

In the end, I'd say as others have....if you can understand it and it's NOT in misalignment with the TRUE Word of GOD ( like the New World Translation - bad! ) then I'd have to ask what's wrong with it ?

And before all else, pray about it. God won't lead you astray in picking the version He wants for you to use....He says He's concerned about every aspect of our lives, I see no reason this should be any different.

God bless,

Bob

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

Yes, I would like to ad dthat I think it is a very good idea to read a few different translations. Also, studying a few key words in Greek and Hebre can be an excellent way to shed some more light on a passage.

Here is a link to a site where you can do just that (unfortunately I think it's only 1 verse at a time).

http://bible.cc/

Just add whatever book/chapter and verse you'd like to the end of that url example:

http://bible.cc/isaiah/53-5.htm

In Christ

Truseek

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Folks, nice discussion. Thanks!

BUT, remember what the original question was. What is the best version for a NEW Christian...a babe in Christ so to speak?

Why do we always want to put a babe on solid food when all they can digest is milk?

For me? I would suggest The Message edited by Eugene Peterson BUT only for an initial reading. Then I would suggest the person move on to the NASB or the NIV. Hebrew and Greek? Leave the concordances and word studies for much later when the person is ready to receive and acknowledges the source of ALL TRUTH and understanding, which is the HOLY SPIRIT.

How many new Christians are turned off from reading the WORD of God because we place the bar too high to begin with?

Be Blessed,

Wayne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,277
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I personally prefer the NASB, but my wife reads The Every Day Bible. I had not seen that until she got it last year and started reading it. It is not a word for word like the NASB, but it does put things in easy understandable english and changes the weights and money values to modern standards so it is easier to understand.

During our discussions we have not uncovered anything that our two readings disagree with. Not to say that there may not be some.

If I were starting over again the every day bible is what I would read. If there are things that others have found in that book let us know.

Sam

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/27/1980

I think a good version for beginners is The New Living translation, it is very easy to read and to understand :wub:

Stewart (scots)

Guest shiloh357

I agree with scots. I love the NLT myself. It is great!!

If possible one could take a new Christian to a local Christian bookstore, and let them read different versions and pick the one they feel that they understand the best.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

One of those "Read the Bible in a year" Bibles can also be good. They put the Bible in the sequence of events and place the prophets and the letters in order they occured/were written.

This will save a lot of confusion for a first-time reader.