IGNORED

What happend to those people that died before Christ?

zotah

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/29/1956

Hi JCISGD,

Those that quote King David "I was concieved in iniquity and born in iniquity" are not interpreting in context. Psalms are poetic language and not to be used for literally for theology. King David was lamenting that he was concieved among a people who were rebellious to God, and born also among these.

Not sure what you mean by this i.e Psalms are not for theology. I would imagine they are full of statements with literal meaning and explain God very well, NO?

Greg.

There are many things in poetry that should not be taken literally is what I think is being said. We all know the term poetic license. That being said the psalmists used the poetic license to illustrate perfectly the principles that the Holy Spirit wish them to illustrate. We need to be careful in saying "poetic language" is "not to be used for literally for theology." Most of the prophets wrote in poetry. The Bible is full of poetry, we don't see it because we are not reading in the original language.

Usually whenever we see scripture indented in our Bibles, it poetry.

Getting back on topic, what does Hebrews 11:39-40 mean, in the context it was written in?

These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Hi JCISGD,

Those that quote King David "I was concieved in iniquity and born in iniquity" are not interpreting in context. Psalms are poetic language and not to be used for literally for theology. King David was lamenting that he was concieved among a people who were rebellious to God, and born also among these.

Not sure what you mean by this i.e Psalms are not for theology. I would imagine they are full of statements with literal meaning and explain God very well, NO?

Greg.

Hi Greg, you missed an important word, "literally". What i was saying is that to use poetic language literally where it is not intended that way, will cause a wrong theology. We can use the poetic? books, Job, Pslams, Proverbs, Song of Songs, and Ecclesiates for theology, but not if we dont take into account the type of language we are reading. The Jews often used hyperbole to stress a point, but it would be error to think they were being literal.

One of the Pslams speaks of "babies born speaking lies", but babies cant even talk so it is impossible that this was meant literally, and is hyperbole.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/22/1993

i have always wondered about this, and it is a very valid question. i am unaware of any biblical reference to their fate.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

No one went to heaven before the death of the lamb on the cross, they went to Abrahams bosom , where did Jesus go for three days ... to gather the faithful spirits and take them to heaven , after his death everything changed.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/27/1973

The People that died before Christ , if they had faith in GOD given by HIM , died and went to paradise. IF they believed GOD by Faith that HE gave them then and only then did they get to Heaven. Hebrews 11:13 tells us of this very thing. JESUS preched to those people in Paradise that died in Faith. The people that were outside the Ark did not believe GOD through HIS spoken word by Noah. The answers are in there you just have to "study to shew thyself approved unto GOD, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Tim. 2:15. There are ABSOLUTES in the BIBLE and one of those is that unless a person has that faith given by GOD in the first place and believes HIM you will not get a second chance. A HOLY, JUST GOD will not give second chances after death after you have lived any way you want to. Just read HIS Book. Its in there.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

The People that died before Christ , if they had faith in GOD given by HIM , died and went to paradise. IF they believed GOD by Faith that HE gave them then and only then did they get to Heaven. Hebrews 11:13 tells us of this very thing. JESUS preched to those people in Paradise that died in Faith. The people that were outside the Ark did not believe GOD through HIS spoken word by Noah. The answers are in there you just have to "study to shew thyself approved unto GOD, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Tim. 2:15. There are ABSOLUTES in the BIBLE and one of those is that unless a person has that faith given by GOD in the first place and believes HIM you will not get a second chance. A HOLY, JUST GOD will not give second chances after death after you have lived any way you want to. Just read HIS Book. Its in there.

This is a lot more pleasant to read when it is in normal text. Using large, bright fonts is like loudly talking to someone with a headache, and all caps is screaming. We get your point and appreciate your input without all the bells and whistles. Just some internet etiquette.

God Bless,

Alan

This is a lot more pleasant to read when it is in normal text. Using large, bright fonts is like loudly talking to someone with a headache, and all caps is screaming. We get your point and appreciate your input without all the bells and whistles. Just some internet etiquette.

God Bless,

Alan

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/27/1973

God Bless,

Alan

And while I appreciate your opinion and your "etiquette" I shall not post material with "large, bright fonts" but if it is all the same to you I shall use caps, as I did in the post. They are a way of expression and if a man cant be passionate in type I doubt they are passionate in face to face reasoning and witnessing. I hope that this will be a case of this: :24: and not this :24: and this :24:

GOD bless,

A saved Man

The Rapture is like the death of the lamb..... the soul is in heaven jesus is coming for his bride and the bodies of the saints in the grave not the spirit.

Edited by Hadley

Its very interesting how Satan can even run the bible if you read the NIV you will not find the word HELL in it .