• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

As some of you know I just recently (in July) came to a Christian life. What I am struggling with at the moment is adjusting to the new lifestyle.

First question: I have about 300-400 CDs of music, some of which I am no longer interested in because of the changes God made within me. Do I get rid of those CDs?

Second question: I do not believe my husband has yet come to Christ. His lifestyle is very different than mine at the moment. He still wants to do the things we used to do before. For example, I used to love watching Family Guy and now I don't want to watch it. I don't want to watch gory movies anymore. How do I tell him that I am no longer interested in these things?

Third question: I am still on a variety of medications for depression, anxiety and insomnia. My doctor has advised me to wait until winter passes to go off of these medications. But I think God wants me off them before then. I'm torn. Should I stay on them until spring or can I go off them now?

Fourth question: Are smoking and coffee sins? I am hooked on them both.

Fifth question: Does it matter what denomination of church you go to? How do you know you're in the right one? I don't believe in the right to bear arms, the pledge of allegience and don't participate in anything related to politics, does that mean I'm a Jehovah's Witness? I'm so confused on this.

Sixth question: Is it okay to watch crime TV? I love Investigation Discovery. Is that bad?

Hi, Asecretchord,

Welcome to the family,

I know I'm just a guy, but I'd like to share some of my experiences with you because I've gone through, and come out of the other side of what's happening to you.

First off, In my case I became a Christian at 12 years of age. My mom brought me to church. I was told about Jesus saving me from hell; but I was never told about how I would be in a battle against, this world, and the spirit of the antichrist. Indeed the enemy uses not only others I don't know, but those of my own family, to try and get me to

fit in along with them.

It's really not the people that we are enemies with but we are fighting against the spirit that dwells with in them. but when a two unbelievers marry, and one gets converted. then it may be a tough situation.

Any ways when living at home, my mom would watch her tv shows, that were filled with cursing, and questionable situations; I would just grab my Bible and go outside.

this was a very lonely time in my life. My mom thought I had gone off the deep end, and now I was standing before this very other wise loving mother, who introduced me to God; saying to me; " Your a fanatic; People are going to think your crazy".

So 10 years or so later I got married to a wonderful woman as you all know as Jime. We both got married I wasn't following my belief, and Jime was more or less doing the same. Well anyways. Jime would watch tv, and since I was offended by it; I would take my Bible out, and stay gone for hours just reading the scriptures, and praying for her.

Though I missed the times together, I knew I had to get away from that beast we call tv. You will know when you should stay away from something, by that nagging feeling in your stomach, that says: " This isn't right for you"; that's the Holy Spirit convicted you. And you should obey Him.

anyways I prayed for her for 15 years; very lonely time in my life, she became distant, but I had to do what the Holy Spirit told me. finally after 15 years, she gave her heart to the Lord. But what ever the out come was I knew I had to stick with my savior.

I by no means am perfect, and there's times I mess up, and don't obey the Holy Spirit, but God with His loving hand like the prodigal Son he always brings me around.

Yes indeed in this life; our families, our friends, people we don't even know might hate us, and think we are crazy.

Here is some scripture for you.

Mark 13:12-13 (KJV)

12 Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death.

13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Luke 12:51-53 (KJV)

51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.

53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

I've heard of some Christians actually divorcing their spouses because, they were not saved, be careful this is a trick don't fall for it.

1 Cor 7:10-16 (KJV)

10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Just continue to pray for your mom, your husband that God will bring them around. Like I said before; I prayed for my spouse for 15 years.

Here is a saying I have; " In times of loneliness; Seek the Lord, and you will never be lonely. Read your Bible, pray, worship.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Firstly, congratulations for your decision to follow Christ. I think these are questions we have all dealt with. Everyone uses their own discretion in these kinds of issues. We have to because the Christian Life is more than a list of Do's and Don'ts. Follow God and He will give us wisdom to know what we need to change.

The only part about your post that worries me is the part about Jehovah Witnesses. Please do not get involved with those people. You can be a Christian and still be patriotic. If America is the shining city on a hill, maybe more Christians should get involved in politics.

You can still take medication, too. If it is working for you, just follow the advice of your doctor. I think it is crazy not to take medication that helps us and wicked to tell other Christians they shouldn't take any medication.

As some of you know I just recently (in July) came to a Christian life. What I am struggling with at the moment is adjusting to the new lifestyle.

First question: I have about 300-400 CDs of music, some of which I am no longer interested in because of the changes God made within me. Do I get rid of those CDs?

Second question: I do not believe my husband has yet come to Christ. His lifestyle is very different than mine at the moment. He still wants to do the things we used to do before. For example, I used to love watching Family Guy and now I don't want to watch it. I don't want to watch gory movies anymore. How do I tell him that I am no longer interested in these things?

Third question: I am still on a variety of medications for depression, anxiety and insomnia. My doctor has advised me to wait until winter passes to go off of these medications. But I think God wants me off them before then. I'm torn. Should I stay on them until spring or can I go off them now?

Fifth question: Does it matter what denomination of church you go to? How do you know you're in the right one? I don't believe in the right to bear arms, the pledge of allegience and don't participate in anything related to politics, does that mean I'm a Jehovah's Witness? I'm so confused on this.

Sixth question: Is it okay to watch crime TV? I love Investigation Discovery. Is that bad?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I would donate them to a library or give them to a friend.

Just tell him. It's better than saying nothing and letting him think it's HIM you're not interested in spending time with.

You should follow your doctor's instructions; it can be dangerous to just stop taking some medications.

No, they're not sins but smoking isn't good for you.

You should study the different denominations. Go to their websites and read the statements of faith for each one. You can even listen to past sermons to 'try it before you buy it' with almost every church.

I watch that stuff too and I don't believe it's bad.

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

They are two very different orders of Lutheran... totally different - how are you going to both of them? see below:

I have read this article many times. That's why I'm somewhat torn. I've attended both Missouri and Wisconsin Synods. I talked to a WELS pastor who told me that there are more likes that differences between the two. Obviously, Wisconsin is a bit more strict but I really enjoy their church. The Missouri church I've been attending for 5-6 years is nice but it doesn't have a lot of members my age and there is no nursery so if my son is acting out, I don't really have anywhere to take him. So I've attended both churches and I'm kind of liking WELS just because it has a much bigger congregation, a school, a preschool, daycare, etc. I also talked to my dad who had no objection to me joining the church. I don't know. I wish someone would just decide for me. I've been praying and I just don't know.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I would donate them to a library or give them to a friend.

Just tell him. It's better than saying nothing and letting him think it's HIM you're not interested in spending time with.

You should follow your doctor's instructions; it can be dangerous to just stop taking some medications.

No, they're not sins but smoking isn't good for you.

You should study the different denominations. Go to their websites and read the statements of faith for each one. You can even listen to past sermons to 'try it before you buy it' with almost every church.

I watch that stuff too and I don't believe it's bad.

I agrre with everything MG said, except maybe for the CD's! If they are good music you may want to listen to them later in your walk. I listen to stuff ranging from Vivaldi to Dylan, but not rap, which I believe you actually spell with a capital C? :whistling:

anyways I prayed for her for 15 years; very lonely time in my life, she became distant, but I had to do what the Holy Spirit told me. finally after 15 years, she gave her heart to the Lord.

15 years is such a long time! :whistling: What if that's 15 years too late for him? *praying*

The only part about your post that worries me is the part about Jehovah Witnesses. Please do not get involved with those people. You can be a Christian and still be patriotic. If America is the shining city on a hill, maybe more Christians should get involved in politics.

Don't worry. Not a chance of my becoming a Jehovah's Witness. I was just saying that some of their beliefs are similar to mine (against the right to bear arms, pledge of allegiance, etc. etc.) No way would I be one of them though.

Why the denominations though? I just don't get it? Which one is right and which one is wrong? It should be obvious, right? Do I need to find a denomination that is 100% my beliefs? I guess that is the real question. Am I going to go to hell if I'm not in the right place? I don't know.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

The difference between some denominations is like the difference in Pepsi and Coke. Everyone has their favorite one. If you are anything like me you will never find a church where you see 100 % eye to eye. No two Christians will do that.

As I've said before, nobody (or church) has perfect theology because nobody knows everything perfectly. Sometimes we make too much over little points of doctrine; thus, we have 40 / 11 different denominations.

When you find the church you are supposed to be at, you will just know it.

Why the denominations though? I just don't get it? Which one is right and which one is wrong? It should be obvious, right? Do I need to find a denomination that is 100% my beliefs? I guess that is the real question. Am I going to go to hell if I'm not in the right place? I don't know.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

anyways I prayed for her for 15 years; very lonely time in my life, she became distant, but I had to do what the Holy Spirit told me. finally after 15 years, she gave her heart to the Lord.

15 years is such a long time! :laugh: What if that's 15 years too late for him? *praying*

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28 (KJV)

We just have to trust in God, that He will bring His plan to pass. After all it's not about us, it's all about Him.