~Shalhevet~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

As some of you know I just recently (in July) came to a Christian life. What I am struggling with at the moment is adjusting to the new lifestyle.

First question: I have about 300-400 CDs of music, some of which I am no longer interested in because of the changes God made within me. Do I get rid of those CDs?

Second question: I do not believe my husband has yet come to Christ. His lifestyle is very different than mine at the moment. He still wants to do the things we used to do before. For example, I used to love watching Family Guy and now I don't want to watch it. I don't want to watch gory movies anymore. How do I tell him that I am no longer interested in these things?

Third question: I am still on a variety of medications for depression, anxiety and insomnia. My doctor has advised me to wait until winter passes to go off of these medications. But I think God wants me off them before then. I'm torn. Should I stay on them until spring or can I go off them now?

Fourth question: Are smoking and coffee sins? I am hooked on them both.

Fifth question: Does it matter what denomination of church you go to? How do you know you're in the right one? I don't believe in the right to bear arms, the pledge of allegience and don't participate in anything related to politics, does that mean I'm a Jehovah's Witness? I'm so confused on this.

Sixth question: Is it okay to watch crime TV? I love Investigation Discovery. Is that bad?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

As some of you know I just recently (in July) came to a Christian life. What I am struggling with at the moment is adjusting to the new lifestyle.

First question: I have about 300-400 CDs of music, some of which I am no longer interested in because of the changes God made within me. Do I get rid of those CDs?

Second question: I do not believe my husband has yet come to Christ. His lifestyle is very different than mine at the moment. He still wants to do the things we used to do before. For example, I used to love watching Family Guy and now I don't want to watch it. I don't want to watch gory movies anymore. How do I tell him that I am no longer interested in these things?

Third question: I am still on a variety of medications for depression, anxiety and insomnia. My doctor has advised me to wait until winter passes to go off of these medications. But I think God wants me off them before then. I'm torn. Should I stay on them until spring or can I go off them now?

Fifth question: Does it matter what denomination of church you go to? How do you know you're in the right one? I don't believe in the right to bear arms, the pledge of allegience and don't participate in anything related to politics, does that mean I'm a Jehovah's Witness? I'm so confused on this.

Sixth question: Is it okay to watch crime TV? I love Investigation Discovery. Is that bad?

dear sister in Christ,

I am so happy you have heeded God's call and come into christian life.

Talking about your cds, it is not mandatory you get rid of them. Keep them if you don't want to throw them away, just keep them locked away and in some obscure place you won't have to visit everyday.

Second question, straight talking with a pinch of tact. I suggest you start off with how much happier you are right now then before. Massage his ego for sometime and then point out(logically if possible) why both of you should follow Christ. Do plenty of homework on the questions he may ask before you talk to him.

Third question, i suggest you trust in God and go off medications. But you have to be prepared for a very very tough struggle. You have to fight depression, insomnia and anxiety twenty four hours a day, and be prepared to not give up even when u r mentally worn out. Go off medications, but prepare for a very tough road ahead, it may go on for years. To avoid those thoughts, I suggest you ruminate over Bible verses all day long.

I'm not medically equipped to tell you whether you should go off medications, neither have I been through such illnesses, I'm just telling you based on faith, so i suggest you get a second opinion from somebody else too.

Being hooked on to coffee and smoking is a sin. You must be hooked on only to God. You must be able to stay without them. Remember, we are not supposed to have idols before God, and being hooked onto them is a definite sign of them being idols.

Fifth question, I'm from an entirely different country, so I can't help you there.

Sixth question, I think it is okay to watch certain kinds of crime tv i.e. the ones that do not tempt you into committing crimes.

We are all praying for you. So no matter what obstacles you come across in your walk with Christ, our prayers and most of all God's blessings are with you.

Once again, welcome to the family.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As some of you know I just recently (in July) came to a Christian life.

Oh, I missed that! Belated welcome to the Family!

Got anything better to do with them? Why keep what you don't need?

I'm not married, so take this with a grain of salt, but probably the best thing is to just tell him. The trick, though, is how to tell him. He needs to be affirmed while you are telling him you can't watch these things with him anymore. (I'm not good at that, though.)

From what I've read, I am wondering if winter blues are a result of Vitamin D deficiency (what our skin produces in sunlight). Try taking some Vitamin D pills and see if that helps keep your mood up.

Smoking is unhealthy. If you have the strength and will to quit you should do so - sin or not.

I've heard that one cup of coffee a day can be good for some people. It depends on your body type whether it's bad for you or not. (But I couldn't tell you what that is, sorry.)

Ugh! A church should not be centered around politics! Sure, Evangelicals and Southern Baptists tend to be heavy into it, but these are not the core beliefs of these denominations.

For now, I wouldn't worry too much about the denomination (as long as it's not Jehovah's Witness!) The best thing to do is attend different churches and get a feel for the service, the pastor, the people, the worship. Seek the Lord for guidance. The best church is the one that feels like "home" to you. Certainly check out the doctrine before making a commitment, I'm not discounting that. But each individual church will be different, and you want a place where you can grow and participate.

I don't see why not.

Being hooked on to coffee and smoking is a sin. You must be hooked on only to God. You must be able to stay without them. Remember, we are not supposed to have idols before God, and being hooked onto them is a definite sign of them being idols.

This is very interesting. I never once thought of them being "idols". I guess I always thought idols were of a human nature (celebrities, musicians, buddah, etc.) Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. :emot-handshake:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

:emot-handshake: Hi ! I like your questions. I had lot of similar type of questions and I still have many. I worried lot but now I don't. I believe our Lord will guide us through all these things one by one, slowly, according to our capability.

• Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/08/1964

Congratulations on your decision to follow Jesus and welcome to the Family!!! :laugh:

I have had the same conviction over videos and video games. It made me cringe to do it, but I tossed them all in the garbage!!! I didn't give them away to anyone, so I wouldn't be contributing to anyone else's ungodly lifestyle. You have been changed, so your music has changed to. Fill your spirit with music that glorifies the Lord.

First and Foremost, be open and honest with him. :24: Explain your new life and help him to understand why you don't want to do those things any more. Try to find other things to do together that fit your new life to take the place of those things.

Well, some medications just can't be stopped cold turkey. They have to be weaned off gradually. If you feel you should be off of them, speak to you doctor about starting the weaning process now.

No, I don't remember reading about them in the bible as being a sin. But, your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. So we are to treat it as such. Our bodies were not meant to inhale smoke, that is why people die in fires because of the smoke inhalation. Smoking cigarettes is doing the same thing to your body but on a smaller scale. Coffee has bad side affects related to caffeine. It can cause heart rhythm irregularities and things. If you must drink coffee, try decaffeinated. But, if you no longer wish to partake in these things, ask the Lord to help deliver you from their hold.

I myself am of no denomination. Find a bible believing, Christ centered church that preaches the truths of Jesus Christ.

I would have to say that is up to the Holy Spirit. Are you being convicted of watching it? Do you have a nudge in your gut when it is on? If so, that is the Holy Spirit trying to direct you away from it.

I hope I have helped you. :thumbsup:

Your Sister in Christ,

JIME

Edited by JIME

Bless you all. I really appreciate your responses.

So when he watches Family Guy on Sunday nights, what should I do? Should I leave the room?

Well, if you have made the choice that you do not want to watch Family Guy, then I suppose the logical thing to do would be to leave the room and go read the Word, listen to music, write or something. It wouldn't make sense to stay there and watch something you don't like, right?

Right. :24:

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/02/1989

Bless you all. I really appreciate your responses.

So when he watches Family Guy on Sunday nights, what should I do? Should I leave the room?

Explain first to him why you don't want to watch the show. Does it include blasphemy? Lust? Anything which is sinful and not God-honouring (especially blasphemy in a movie or TV show, I would switch it off or leave the room immediately) Explain that it's not God-honouring to watch these shows because they are things which God hates. Then he'll know your reasons and if it's God's will, he will be convicted of these things too.

I doubt he would care if I said that God hated the show. It has some pretty bad content.