IGNORED

Fantasy fiction

Sir Gareth

Guest HIS girl
Lately I have been feeling the urge to distance myself from all types of non-christian fantasy.

such as harry potter, twilight, dungeons and dragons etc.

I am told that this is biblical by some and by others that it is legalism.

could anyone help me to see which it is for sure?

thank you for your time, God bless and keep.

If it's not glorifying to God, then how can it be helpful?

1 Corinthians 6 v 12: All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10 v 31: Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/08/1964

Lately I have been feeling the urge to distance myself from all types of non-christian fantasy.

Well, I for one don't think it is legalism. That is a term people who claim to be Christian use when they are doing something that they shouldn't be doing, and don't want to give it up.

Scripture makes it clear we are not to have any association with witchcraft.

Lev 19:26 (AMP)

26 You shall not eat anything with the blood; neither shall you use magic, omens, or witchcraft [or predict events by horoscope or signs and lucky days].

Deut 18:10-13 (NASB)

10 "There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,

11 or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.

12 "For whoever does these things is detestable to the Lord; and because of these detestable things the Lord your God will drive them out before you.

13 "You shall be blameless before the Lord your God.

Gal 5:19-21 (NLT)

19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures,

20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division,

21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

I think it is pretty clear that God does not want us to have any association with witchcraft.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Who here watches The Wizard of Oz, the Disney classics (Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, etc.)?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Who here watches The Wizard of Oz, the Disney classics (Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, etc.)?

Not me, only because I have seen them so many times :) But I love a good science fiction book or movie.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Not only that be oldies like Andy of Mayberry and Father knows Best are fiction. Are we telling God that His creation isn't good enough for us by watching these, or did God bless us with an imagination to create these alternate realities?

Guest HIS girl

Twighlight, Harry Potter, Dungeons and Dragons have occultic themes even if the Harry Potter movies are more cutesy for kids......it still has the occultic thread through it...

I don't think SG is talking about Mr Ed and such..... :)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

'Sir Gareth' date='Nov 6 2009,

Hey Sir Gareth,

To seperate yourself from evil is right and good. For we are taught in the word not to have fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness. [Ephesians 5:7-11]

Harry Potter is for sure about witchcraft so is Dungeons and dragon which has been responsible for the death of some. I am not familar with Twilight.

I encourage you to follow the prompting of the Spirit as he is leading you. Following the prompting of the Spirit is more than anyone can say, to help you or guide you into all truth.

Deuteronomy 18:10-11--There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, vs 11)Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

oc

One of the unique things about Christianity is that the Lord works things differently in each believer's life. If you feel the Spirit is leading you away from these things -- follow where the Spirit is leading. Don't let anyone discourage you by calling you names, like "legalist." I've been accused of that after the Lord set me free from smoking, but it wasn't me that did it. It was the Holy Spirit who changed the way I thought about smoking and I lost the desire for it. Our desires are supposed to change as we grow closer to the Lord. Therefore, thank him for it and press on.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/08/1964

One of the unique things about Christianity is that the Lord works things differently in each believer's life. If you feel the Spirit is leading you away from these things -- follow where the Spirit is leading. Don't let anyone discourage you by calling you names, like "legalist." I've been accused of that after the Lord set me free from smoking, but it wasn't me that did it. It was the Holy Spirit who changed the way I thought about smoking and I lost the desire for it. Our desires are supposed to change as we grow closer to the Lord. Therefore, thank him for it and press on.

:cool: Walla :laugh: