IGNORED

Adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

BlindSeeker

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,108
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

So, what does this mean to everyone . . . and how do you practically honor this verse?

Tit 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

2 That the
aged men
be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

3 The
aged women likewise
, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the
young women
to be sober, to love their
husbands
, to love their
children

5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Young men
likewise exhort to be sober minded.

In all things shewing thyself
a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

9 Exhort
servants
to be obedient unto their own
masters
, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity;
that
they
may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

Or does everyone here in Worthy Land hold to a southern style Gospel and just wear it like a tank top, shorts and flip-flops . . . as little wear as possible? A little dab'l do ya, like Brilcreem Christians.

Has to be someone out there who appreciates the opportunity to to be so adorned . . . instead of those dirty old rags you used to wear.

It is interesting that that the first part of verse 10 is not purloining, or embezzling, or stealing from the one you work for. Kinda seems to me then we can be guilty fraud if we aren't adorning the doctrine of God our Savior in all things.

Sorta like naming the name of Christ, yet not picking up our crosses or forsaking those besetting sins . . .

Yet, in the passage, it seems Paul pretty much covers everyone as having a way to adorn the doctrine of God our Savior . . . in all things, all relationships, all transactions . . . all?

So? I know its not a political or current news kinda topic . . . but it certainly is relative to every professing believer here.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Great topic, BlindSeeker! :24:

Well, since you asked for this to be personal I can technically only relate to what applies to me.

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

OK, I'm not an aged woman, but Christian women should surely refrain from gossip - I am sure that is what Paul had in mind in this exhortation. I think women of all ages, though, need that reminder...we do so like to share what is going on with everyone. :P

I notice everyone here has an exhortation not to get drunk. Well, fortunately for me I don't care for the taste of alcohol, so this is not hard for me to be obedient to. :emot-questioned:

I do try to discipline myself to be good. I know I do represent Jesus to people, so I know I need to be careful how I represent Him.

And I try not to wear clothes I know to be provocative. It's hard to find such clothes these days, but I do the best I can.

9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity

AKA, be a good employee. I try. I may not always succeed, but I try.

It's not easy being a servant to a bad boss (not my current situation, but previously), and I know I screwed up in the past. It's hard not joining in the complaining of everyone else. But this is something we as Christians should concern ourselves with - be a servant on the job.

I have a friend who reports on her hard job situations, but after each complaint, she turns it around to the attitude she knows she should have and is working on achieving ("We are here to be servants, are we not?").

This is how I see this part.

Great topic, BlindSeeker! :24:

Well, since you asked for this to be personal I can technically only relate to what applies to me.

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

OK, I'm not an aged woman, but Christian women should surely refrain from gossip - I am sure that is what Paul had in mind in this exhortation. I think women of all ages, though, need that reminder...we do so like to share what is going on with everyone. :24:

I notice everyone here has an exhortation not to get drunk. Well, fortunately for me I don't care for the taste of alcohol, so this is not hard for me to be obedient to. :P

I do try to discipline myself to be good. I know I do represent Jesus to people, so I know I need to be careful how I represent Him.

And I try not to wear clothes I know to be provocative. It's hard to find such clothes these days, but I do the best I can.

9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity

AKA, be a good employee. I try. I may not always succeed, but I try.

It's not easy being a servant to a bad boss (not my current situation, but previously), and I know I screwed up in the past. It's hard not joining in the complaining of everyone else. But this is something we as Christians should concern ourselves with - be a servant on the job.

I have a friend who reports on her hard job situations, but after each complaint, she turns it around to the attitude she knows she should have and is working on achieving ("We are here to be servants, are we not?").

This is how I see this part.

Amen Sister Nebula. We are to be servants. But not just servants, growing servants, becoming more and more like Christ. Like the passage says, "that the word of God be not blasphemed."

:emot-questioned:

Edited by traveller
youtube link

I really thought this would have been a thread where brothers and sisters would share, even testify of the work of God's Spirit in them and how they are endeavoring to thus honor God by adorning the doctrine of God our Savior in all things . . .

Hmmmm . . . curious about everyone's reservation :emot-heartbeat:

Perhaps I should have just started another "Person Below Me" game . . . :dance:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

No more takers?

Am I the only one?

• 3 weeks later...

No more takers?

Am I the only one?

Thanks for all the input Sister Nebula :emot-hug:

Guess we rode this horse into the ground LOL

:emot-hug:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  3

When I was young, I was too full of fire and passion to slow down long enough to care how I presented to the world or how I reflected upon my husband or family. Now I do care. Now I know that I can bring shame or pride to them by my public demeanor, my appearance and my words. I care how I represent my Lord. I think that as Christian women mature, they ease into a more graceful attitude.

Whispering, gossiping, backbiting - leads to nothing but trouble for everyone. Plus, it's most unbecoming. It's not that older women don't do this, but I think as we age we come to understand the severity of it, and the cruel effects of it. Women can really be treacherous.

though I struggle daily with issues, I would say the one I have the most problem with is my mouth,

Pro 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

May we sisters age with grace and shed our blemishes daily.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

So, what does this mean to everyone . . . and how do you practically honor this verse?

2 That the
aged men
be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

3 The
aged women likewise
, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the
young women
to be sober, to love their
husbands
, to love their
children

Young men
likewise exhort to be sober minded.

In all things shewing thyself
a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

9 Exhort
servants
to be obedient unto their own
masters
, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity;
that
they
may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

Maybe some of us missed this thread...I know I never saw it at the time but...

Personally I try very hard to understand biblical teaching, and again and again everyday in various situations, verses will come to mind that instruct me how to walk in a given situation, or advise me for or against something and many times from that I try to speak righteously, according to what I know to be true. Part of this entails soaking in the Scriptures, because faith comes by hearing.

2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

I think when we look at Scriptures that speak to the opposite sex, or a different age bracket, it is important that we don't just dismiss these things as not applicable, but rather weigh them up and apply the teaching to ourselves as best we can anyway.

some of the words in this translation are rather ancient and their original meaning is not immediately obvious. I have been around a lot of gossip (false accusers) recently and it is not a pleasant experience, and has a tendency to draw you in if you are not careful...in my case I was more determined than ever not to get involved. I have seen it develop in Churches, and discussing the sermon goes beyond what it should etc etc.

I apply the exhortation in particular...'teaching what is good'. This operates across the board, whether you are teaching a child, a teenager, or your fellow peers. I have eventually discovered that teaching involves our life-style, and is not restricted to our words...others are very quick to watch what we do, and not just listen to what we say, and I see a personal responsibility to be mindful of this.

There is an interesting use of the word 'blasphemy' in verse 5, but it better translates as 'dishonoured', and I find in context it endorses what I was saying about how we speak through our conduct.

6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

Again there is so much practical teaching here that really applies to all of us....I suppose the thing that mostly speaks to me and always has done, is to try and live a life whereby others cannot find anything bad to say about me...I have not always been successful in this, but the call of the Spirit is to holiness, and we have such a lot to avail ourselves of that makes it a daily possibility...forgetting what lies behind, and pressing forward into the call of G-d.

10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

To bring this up to the present day, it shows me that from whatever station of life we come from, to live honestly, and to do our utmost to represent in thought, words and deeds the G-d whom we claim to serve.

There is an interesting pattern in this whole passage concerning the word doctrine, which was recently the subject of some discussion on another thread, but it is brought home to me that doctrine isn't merely about getting certain esoteric teachings correct ( Trinity, Rapture, Heaven) but is more about practical day by day living.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  3

Amen Sister Nebula. We are to be servants. But not just servants, growing servants, becoming more and more like Christ. Like the passage says, "that the word of God be not blasphemed."

:cool:

I removed the youtube link, (against the TOS) and tried to find the Larry Norman video on Tangle, but to no avail. So, I'm posting the words that his beautiful song.

I Am A Servant - by Larry Norman

I am a servant, I am listening for my name,

I sit here waiting, I've been looking at the game

That I've been playing, and I've been staying much the same

When you are lonely, you're the only one to blame.

I am a servant, I am waiting for the call,

I've been unfaithful, so I sit here in the hall.

How can you use me when I've never given all,

How can you choose me when you know I'd quickly fall.

So you feed my soul and you make me grow,

And you let me know you love me.

And I'm worthless now, but I've made a vow,

I will humbly bow before thee.

O please use me, I am lonely.

I am a servant getting ready for my part,

There's been a change, a rearrangement in my heart.

At last I'm learning, there's no returning once I start.

To live's a privilege, to love is such an art

But I need your help to start,

O please purify my heart, I am your servant

Good thread William! :)