IGNORED

Has The differences between the "denominations" hurt the GOS

HISmanD

Guest HIS girl
I know it is early for me, but can anyone tell me what the acronym GOS means?

Drink some more coffee. :wub:

I think he meant Gospel. :blink: GOS :wub:

Reminds me of text talk ... why can't people just spell the whole thing out? Am I showing my age again? :blink:

Hey OneLight - oldschoolers have more fun!! :blink: Remember that!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

If you think about it, it is a rare find when you discover that any two people believe exactly the same. Does that hurt the Body of Christ? Well, my left and right ear, eye, hand, foot, leg and arm are not the same, and we get along just fine.

Guest HIS girl
If you think about it, it is a rare find when you discover that any two people believe exactly the same. Does that hurt the Body of Christ? Well, my left and right ear, eye, hand, foot, leg and arm are not the same, and we get along just fine.

I think it's imperative that the foundations of one's faith is built on the solid rock of the PURE Word of God.

Of course there is the issue of personal interpretation and application but the Word itself does not change (we do) and this should be obvious to another "trrue Believer" regardless of the "differences" of other things...

Guest shiloh357
I know it is early for me, but can anyone tell me what the acronym GOS means?

Drink some more coffee. :wub:

I think he meant Gospel. :laugh: GOS :thumbsup:

Reminds me of text talk ... why can't people just spell the whole thing out? Am I showing my age again? :blink:

Yes you are. In a year, you will be gumming your bananas and having to walk around with an oxygen tank. :blink:

Guest shiloh357
Has The differences between the "denominations" hurt the GOS, Has it turned more away?
No, not really. If we didn't have denoms, planning a sunday morning service would be worse than 5 people trying to agree on what toppings to get on their pizza.

Most denoms are able to set their differences aside for the sake of the gospel.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

Has even the differences among and within the denominations hurt not only the Gospel but the fellowship of the Saints? I am looking for some honest opinions on this matter as it affects not only the Church in the world's eyes but the Great Commission I believe as well. I do not personally care if they come to our church to hear the GOSPEL just as long as they go somewhere. But we care more about numbers it seems more than we care about souls.

The Bible says in 1 John that "if we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship one with another"

While the inconsistancy of understanding is used by those who will not believe as one reson for it, I do not see it as a major stumbling block. Most Christians do not even know why the different denominations exist, or what their differences are. And the unsaved really don't know. All they see is a church building and they all look alike.

I do believe that the different denominational splits, the splitting up of the body of CHRIST, is a detriment to the spread of the gospel. I live in a little town where each church (there are about 6 of them) has just enough people to survive. If all of these peope were under one roof and putting thier time and effort into sharing the gopel and helping the poor and widowed, then they would be a force that couldn't be stopped. But, paying 6 pastors, providing housing for 6 families, maintaining 6 buildings, and generally wasting all their money on redundancy results in nothing being done except Sunday morning services and a few weekday meetings.

Churches surviving just to survive is the real damage of dividing the body into different denominations.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/21/1981

Has even the differences among and within the denominations hurt not only the Gospel but the fellowship of the Saints? I am looking for some honest opinions on this matter as it affects not only the Church in the world's eyes but the Great Commission I believe as well. I do not personally care if they come to our church to hear the GOSPEL just as long as they go somewhere. But we care more about numbers it seems more than we care about souls.

The Bible says in 1 John that "if we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship one with another"

While the inconsistancy of understanding is used by those who will not believe as one reson for it, I do not see it as a major stumbling block. Most Christians do not even know why the different denominations exist, or what their differences are. And the unsaved really don't know. All they see is a church building and they all look alike.

I do believe that the different denominational splits, the splitting up of the body of CHRIST, is a detriment to the spread of the gospel. I live in a little town where each church (there are about 6 of them) has just enough people to survive. If all of these peope were under one roof and putting thier time and effort into sharing the gopel and helping the poor and widowed, then they would be a force that couldn't be stopped. But, paying 6 pastors, providing housing for 6 families, maintaining 6 buildings, and generally wasting all their money on redundancy results in nothing being done except Sunday morning services and a few weekday meetings.

Churches surviving just to survive is the real damage of dividing the body into different denominations.

Well said.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/21/1981

I think that denominations really hurt the gospel and fellowship. The new testament constantly talks about unity. When you see a united church it does great things. How much greater would it be if more then one church could be united? I've seen churches of different denominations unite and do special things. Unfortunately this is not the norm. The norm is to bash other denominations. I've struggled trying to find a church because of this. Most churches I have been to care more about numbers then anything else.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/27/1973

"GOS" was obviously a Typo. I didnt prieview before I posted. Sorry guys!

The basis of our fellowship is not a church, nor a denomination, and in fact not even Jesus.

It is a cross.

Umm, you lost me there, yod.

Would you please explain? Thanks!

Sis,

I think he meant that the only reason we have fellowship at all is because we were crucified and died to ourselves. (In a manner of speaking) :emot-highfive:

Peace,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Yep, that's it. There are a lot of people who say they believe in Jesus but they haven't visited the cross yet.