GregorTheGaliant

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

When I first came accross the author I have learned these things from, I threw his writings down in disgust as "legalist rubbish". I did this 3 times over a period of 3-4 mths but God kept me coming back untill the light dawned and I saw the heart of them was to save from sin which always robs, steals and destroys.

Please dont accuse me of worshipping a man and not God, it is God who made me see the truths I now hold to.

OK, so where does it say this in the Word? :rolleyes:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

I think you may have Nebula and I confused. In any case......

I think I understand. Singing Eensy Weensy Spider with your kid is a sin if you are just doing it for fun, or mindless entertainment. ????? Really now!?

I realize that PEOPLE ARE PERISHING and yet, the joy of the Lord is my strength! I sing to rejoice when I'm happy...and I sing to rejoice when I'm sad. I sing silly songs when I feel like being silly..and Abba loves it! It almost doesn't matter what "kind" of song you want to sing to Abba....he just loves it when we do sing to Him!

So the question shouldn't be "what kind of song" as much as "how long has it been since you sang your heart out to Abba?"

So, imo, if we simply promote being close to Him through a life of joy in the Holy Spirit, there will be no danger that secular music can find time into one's eternal schedule of praising Him. And with everything we do there are dimensions of literal/physical and the spiritual/metaphysical, including eentsy-weensie spider or cleaning toilets on a tug boat. Being faithful in all small things is the definition of "worship". Singing and music is just one of many forms of "praise". The trees clap their hands! The stones cry out! The lions roar as the ocean!

All else pales in comparison so, again only my opinion, but if we can just point people to that God, they will never look anywhere else.

I was as embedded in the secular music world as anyone. I hear it now and it just doesn't do anything for me after about 15 minutes. It has no power of temptation because there is no law that says ""Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch! Do not listen"? "

We are free from sin and don't have to do anything except die on a cross.

Teach Gregory (or anyone else) how to do that and secular music doesn't matter anymore. Making a rule that he "can't" will only give sin the power of law...and therefore cause him to sin with that power.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Nebula, I agree with everything you say in your post above. My point is that one may teach, and another have the gift of hospitality etc, but when boiled down it is all ultimatley towards the salvation of the lost.

I disagree.

Love God FIRST. Love God for loving God with no strings attached. Love God to draw close to Him. Build a relationship with Him.

SECOND is love your neighbor, which would include evangelism.

JCISGD - I still want to see you justify your position with the Word. Where does it say that anything that isn't evanglism is sin?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Wh

ere does it say that anything that isn't evanglism is sin?

Or that anything we do that does not directly glorify God is a sin.

I wonder if his household can laugh, play boardgames, do crafts, throw a football! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hi

Firstly, in todays world, there are very few songs that can be regarded as "clean". Most have sexual connotations or encourage violent attitudes. And from those that are not, the meaning of the song is usually still not good because we believe in Christianity and not humanism, we belive in living by the spirit of God not by the spirit of the age...neither are we to live controlled by feelings. We are set apart, our worldview is different from that of the unsaved. So i'm just curious to know what kind of seular music there is that a believer could enjoy (besides some instrumentals). there are probably very few that i would rate as safe.

Secondly, we must not ignore the fact that there is a spiritual war happening...I think that secular music is one of Satan's big tools because young people are so into it. Rock, Rap, Rave, R&B are all really not for a child of God. Once there was a rave songplaying in our campus cafeteria and my friend who goes clubbing and enjoys rave told me that we can't understand rave but when you're high (ie on drugs) in a club then you can understand it..that alone says something. I have some information on the involvement of some of the famous R&B artists and there involvement in cults. If anyone wants this, you can let me know. With rock, when you play the song backwards there are sometimes messages and apparently our minds are capable of taking in these messages even when the song is played forward so we don't realise.

So in my opinion secular music is not good. But if you're not sure, pray about it, ask the Lord what he thinks and to lead you by the Holy Spirit. The fact that you asked whether it is bad means that you are willing to give it up if it is...you're searching for more truth to live closer to God... so that's good :-) I'm happy for you

Hi

Firstly, in todays world, there are very few songs that can be regarded as "clean". Most have sexual connotations or encourage violent attitudes. And from those that are not, the meaning of the song is usually still not good because we believe in Christianity and not humanism, we belive in living by the spirit of God not by the spirit of the age...neither are we to live controlled by feelings. We are set apart, our worldview is different from that of the unsaved. So i'm just curious to know what kind of seular music there is that a believer could enjoy (besides some instrumentals). there are probably very few that i would rate as safe.

Secondly, we must not ignore the fact that there is a spiritual war happening...I think that secular music is one of Satan's big tools because young people are so into it. Rock, Rap, Rave, R&B are all really not for a child of God. Once there was a rave songplaying in our campus cafeteria and my friend who goes clubbing and enjoys rave told me that we can't understand rave but when you're high (ie on drugs) in a club then you can understand it..that alone says something. I have some information on the involvement of some of the famous R&B artists and there involvement in cults. If anyone wants this, you can let me know. With rock, when you play the song backwards there are sometimes messages and apparently our minds are capable of taking in these messages even when the song is played forward so we don't realise.

So in my opinion secular music is not good. But if you're not sure, pray about it, ask the Lord what he thinks and to lead you by the Holy Spirit. The fact that you asked whether it is bad means that you are willing to give it up if it is...you're searching for more truth to live closer to God... so that's good :-) I'm happy for you

Poppycock. The genre of music itself doesn't make it a sin for christians. I listen to and love christian heavy metal and rock music. I even listen to some secular heavy metal and rock.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

I think you may have Nebula and I confused. In any case......

I think I understand. Singing Eensy Weensy Spider with your kid is a sin if you are just doing it for fun, or mindless entertainment. ????? Really now!?

Artsy thats not what im saying, you seem to have painted me as a killjoy but you just arnt getting what im saying. You seem to be straining the knat.

Q Is it ok to do anything that does not glorify God? i.e mindless entertainment.

Q Where have I said it is sin to have fun?

I have fun and my family love me to bits, we have fun and I watch mindless entertainment with them as they are not saved, but I try to only watch programmes of value to me in some way, and this i use to further my ability to be in the world but not of it.

Secular music is a sin if listened to with no goal of glorifying God in doing so, and the only way it could glorify God would be if it helps in saving souls.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

When I first came accross the author I have learned these things from, I threw his writings down in disgust as "legalist rubbish". I did this 3 times over a period of 3-4 mths but God kept me coming back untill the light dawned and I saw the heart of them was to save from sin which always robs, steals and destroys.

Please dont accuse me of worshipping a man and not God, it is God who made me see the truths I now hold to.

OK, so where does it say this in the Word? :noidea:

"The Son of man comes to seek and save the lost" This was His soul reason and it is to be ours also.

But Im NOT saying evangelism is the only way to achieve this goal.

Worshipping God gets souls saved albeit indirectly.

Building up the body of Christ gets souls saved.

Raising godly children gets souls saved.

There are a myriad of things that achieve the goal, and God requires obedience and not sacrifice. Jesus has already said "whatever you do to the least of these you do it to me" and whatever we dont do for lost we neglect Jesus.

But really if anyone wants to split hairs take it up with Jesus, im just stating what i believe God has shown me.