• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As I've been thinking about my life and situations I've been going through, I began thinking about the Israelites in Egypt.

I thought about the people crying out to the Lord for deliverance when the Pharoah made them slaves. . . and the answer didn't come for about 80 years.

But not exactly. The answer came early on, it's just that the answer was the birth of a baby!

But how were the people to know that? The Lord has heard your cry and has created for you a deliverer.

And if they did know that, could they fathom having to wait . . . and wait . . . and wait for that deliverer to be raised and trained and prepared for his calling? The Lord has heard your cry and has created for you a deliverer. But he won't be delivering you today . . . or tomorrow . . . or next week . . . or next year . . . or next decade. . . .

80 years! 80 years of waiting and praying and falling into discouragement and wondering why bother with faith and trying to trust.

And during that time, people died.

Have you ever considered that? How many of those who first cried out to the Lord never lived to see the fulfillment of those prayers? Your deliverer is coming. . . but it won't be in your lifetime.

Now I know Miriam being a prophetess had been prophesying deliverance to the people, but what did she say? Was she able to explain to the people why they had to wait? Or if she could, could or would the people understand and/or accept this? Would you? Would I? I'm sure like us they would want freedom now, if not yesterday! But no, your job is to raise your children and grandchildren to enter freedom . . . although you may never see it.

Who of us would accept this kind of humility? To say, yes Lord, I am Your servant; deal with me as you please, even in slavery.

Do we know what it truly means to wait upon the Lord? Do we trust and hope in Him even when the circumstances don't seem like the Lord has answered our prayer?

So how many times have we marveled at how stiff necked and stubborn the Israelites could be?

Moses comes and tells the people the Lord sent him to deliver them from Egypt. Hallelujah! Finally!!!! But instead of being freed the next day, pharaoh makes them work even harder!

6 So the same day Pharaoh commanded the taskmasters over the people and their foremen, saying, 7 "You are no longer to give the people straw to make brick as previously ; let them go and gather straw for themselves. 8 "But the quota of bricks which they were making previously, you shall impose on them; you are not to reduce any of it. Because they are lazy, therefore they cry out, 'Let us go and sacrifice to our God.' 9 "Let the labor be heavier on the men, and let them work at it so that they will pay no attention to false words." (Ex. 5)

Ever wonder why the people had such a lack of faith that they responded by blaming Moses for their trouble?

But are we not the same?

When hope is discouraged, do we respond with praise? Or do we gripe, complain, demand God explain to us what He's doing? Have you been given a promise form the Lord, and instead of victory you face defeat?

There is a story in Judges like that. (Judges 20) The Benjaminites were guilty of a very grievous evil, and the rest of the tribes gathered to war against them. But before entering battle, they asked the Lord if they should fight their brother Benjamin. The Lord said, "Go." So they went . . . and lost! Not once, but twice! Huh???!! Why would the Lord say, "Go," only to be defeated . . . and they were in the side of right! What gives?

Am I striking a chord with anyone? I mean, can you relate somehow?

But yet there are no answers. Only a question: "Will you trust Me, even in defeat?"

The promise of Isaiah 40:31 is that it is only in waiting on the Lord - hopefully expecting in Him - that we can soar like eagles, run without weariness, walk without fainting.

I think of a song by Rich Mullins, wrestling with similar struggles, and finding the conclusion, "Until I'm lost enough to let myself be led".

Oh, we like our comfort, we like our strength. But we don't like being broken. Yet breaking us is the only way to free us.

May we find the strength to embrace the daily cross (dying to self) we must carry.

So be it, Lord. Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/04/1986

WOW! :rolleyes: I personally have truly never looked at it n that perspective. Sure opened my eyes. Ty Nebula....ty Jesus!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

A very good and thought provoking post.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

amen Neb! Excelllent word!!

It makes me think of Joseph.

Gen 50:25 And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.

Exd 13:19 And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you.

Jos 24:32 And the bones of Joseph, which the children of Israel brought up out of Egypt, buried they in Shechem, in a parcel of ground which Jacob bought of the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for an hundred pieces of silver: and it became the inheritance of the children of Joseph.

Hbr 11:22 By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.

When Joseph died he and his family were still living in the glory and the riches that were given to them. There was no hardship for him, yet still he looked forward to a promised land. Still he said by faith, "God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here." Joseph died knowing that Egypt was not that place, but he had faith that the time would someday come.

We must all take heart that God will do that which He says He will.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

We've all lived in an 'instant gratification' society for so long - it's hard to imagine people devoting their entire lifetimes to waiting on word from G-d. What absolute faith they had - we all need some of that. Thanks for the post Neb - it's great.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Very nice post. We all live in such a fast-paced society and are used to instant gratification. I think that is why so many people struggle with their walks with Christ. We are used to getting things on our schedule; not God's.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

We've all lived in an 'instant gratification' society for so long - it's hard to imagine people devoting their entire lifetimes to waiting on word from G-d. What absolute faith they had - we all need some of that. Thanks for the post Neb - it's great.

Sorry, Believer. I about stole the whole gist of your reply in mine!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

thanks Nebula, i needed to hear that ive been feeling like those Israelites sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/26/1969

I like the quote " Hope, decieved, deferred, but never extinguished!". :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thanks for the responses.

I am glad it blessed and ministered to you. :unsure:

• Thumbs Up 1